The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Carrick and Anderson in the middle? Jesus. Seems like overkill, but I guess we don't really have much depth in the centre of the park, so who else would we play?

Yeah Bebe is dead weight and Gibson's not much better, but that is an excellent XI. Nice to see a start from Brown too, if things go well a few cameos from the kids on the bench would be ideal. I predict Brown and Evans will um, keep things interesting, seeing as they haven't had many games of late, and I can't remember them playing together really.

*edit*

O'Shea. I just assumed Evans was starting. Evans has been pretty off this season, but surely this is the type of game to build his confidence back up? Maybe he's injured.

Well I can eat my words. Gibson has lost possession easily a few times in the game, but he's just created two excellent chances, the latter of which Brown just scored. Put it on a plate for Hernandez too, or so you would've thought. He does have some quality about him, it's just about showing it consistently. Also Bebe has been okay imo, it's Obertan who's looked a little lost, though he appears to be easing into the game.

Well I thought that was a pretty poor first half, a couple of Gibson passes aside. Carrick has been pretty poor, both Bebe and Obertan don't seem to understand how to run the wings, which is making things difficult for Hernandez. I suppose the defence have done ok, although Crawley haven't really threatened.

I suppose it goes to show that this group of players are hardly ever on the pitch together, so they can't read each other very well.

It's nothing more than I expected once the squad was announced though, to be honest.

Because he might play in midweek, which is also why Rafael was taken off I guess?

This is getting pretty dull. Crawley don't look like they're tiring or giving up, but they're never going to score, despite the commentators constantly talking up their chances. By comparison, our players just look like they want this over with.

I agree about Bebe. He really is shit. Why the fuck they bought him when the money could have been spent better I'll never know. Obertan looks like he isn't developing either, which is a shame because the first couple of times I saw him do his mazey runs, I thought he could turn out to be ok.

They both had the opportunity today to show their ability, but it looks like neither of them are good enough for us.

Bebe and Obertan are so far off the required standard it's quite embarrassing. All they have is pace, in all other aspects they're beyond shit.

Andy Townsend posts on RLLMUK? Awesome.

They didn't have great games, admittedly, but just throwing a player from the reserves into a game like this does not lend itself to inspiring a great performance.

Bebe should be made into a battering ram type striker I think.

It is hard to judge players in games like these since the team is full of inexperienced players. Put Bebe or Obertan in the first team and I'm sure they'd look better than they did tonight. It's especially hard to pass judgement on Bebe yet given his background.

Also Gibson should be loaned out to get a run of games.

Gibson had a really solid game i thought, i'd keep him and sell off Carrick in the summer, despite Trappatoni saying Gibson should leave. Bebe was utter shit though, whered he even come from? Send him back there please! At least Obertan is fast and a bit tricky but cant seem to control or cross the ball very well.

Selling Carrick would be mad, certainly replacing him with Gibson would be even sillier. As for our two wingers, this wasn't exactly the game for them to shine. I'm convinced and have been for a while that Bebe has nothing to offer us, though. Obertan we will at least recoup our investment on.

I just had a weird thought. Smalling seems too good for a bit part role, but our depth in his position is pretty good and his appearances may be limited. Also his arrival has basically knocked back Evans' playing time massively. Why not try and move him further forward, into a defensive midfield role? He is extremely comfortable on the ball, young enough to learn a new role if needed, and we could do with some more energy in the middle of the park. Also we are just a bit thin generally in central midfield, and none of them can really perform that quasi sweeper/defensive midfielder role that is so popular these days. I'm practically salivating thinking how defensively solid we could be with Smalling tucking in between Vida and Rio, yet how potent we could be with allow Evra and Rafael to bomb forward knowing they're covered. Am I mad?

Yes, yes you are mad. Smalling is a centre half and will get 20 games a season with Rio's injuries. It doesn't matter if he's pushed Evans out of the team, football is ruthless.

As for today, I knew as soon as the team was announced we'd really struggle. A game like this calls for physicality and a certain level of maturity. We know Michael Owen would've started were it not for injury. I assume that created Bebe's place in the team. He really is dreadful, isn't he? Completely out of his depth, which yes isn't his fault and who knows maybe he will become a great player but even the basics of controlling the ball look past him. He needs loaning back to a top flight Portuguese side for a season and another season in the Championship before he's anything like ready for the first team. On Obertan, I really like the look of him but he needs to channel his energy and focus better. He's got pace to burn and he certainly knows how to skin a man and turn inside easily, we just don't see it often enough. He reminds me of early Nani, in the same way that he's so wasteful in possession and can't pick out a cross.

This game was an anomaly. The scenario might never happen in English football. We had no idea what to expect. For that reason it's a good result and we shouldn't be too hard on the boys. We're in the quarter finals of the Cup.

The Treble is on! :ph34r:

It is hard to judge players in games like these since the team is full of inexperienced players. Put Bebe or Obertan in the first team and I'm sure they'd look better than they did tonight. It's especially hard to pass judgement on Bebe yet given his background.

From what I saw Bebe was utterly unable to control the ball in just about any situation whatsoever, and when he didn't have the ball he showed precious little interest in trying to get it back. Whilst he'd look better in the first team, I don't see how that would achieve anything other than mask the fact that he's pretty awful no matter what the hell his background is.

Yes, yes you are mad. Smalling is a centre half and will get 20 games a season with Rio's injuries. It doesn't matter if he's pushed Evans out of the team, football is ruthless.

I don't think there's a lot separating an 'adventurous' centre back and a very withdrawn central midfielder. A lot of clubs have players who can play in both positions, or who have been converted from one to the other at some point (the Touré brothers, Busquets, Alex Song, Essien etc). If he was successful, it would stop us being linked with Rodwell at least.