IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Amazing display. The ref has really changed the game by not sending off Vidic. Who'd have thought it - a Man U player NOT being sent off, and they go on to win?

In the first half I felt that Man U were pretty much all over WH though. They spurned a few chances. Still, Vidic deserved to go - guess Ferguson's moaning has the effect intended, to bend the refs ;)

Noble hasn't missed a penalty in ages. Good call by the ref although I expect a Man U resurgence - this isn't over by a long way...

ffs why can't I be wrong for once? I went to iron my shirts while the wife was on the telephone and when I switch back to the commentary after she's finished Man U were 3-2 up!

:(

ManU deserved to win as (even with my most tinted C+B spec) we just sat back and thought we could soak up the damage. I wish AG would learn that this hasn't worked for us this season (nor any other considering our well known defensive frailty) so I'm constantly bemused why he thinks it'll come good, especially against a team with as good a passers as Manchester have.

It does have to be mentioned though that the ref bottled it in a big way. No way was that a free kick on Carrick for Rooney's goal and the penalty was simply laughable. Vidic should have gone for 2 yellows too (one for the pen and one for hauling back Ba) but the ref decided against it for whatever reason.

Oh well, back to crossing fingers for other results to go our way <_<

Great goals by Rooney, but having Valencia back is just awesome. He never wastes possession, his crossing is excellent and almost everything he does down that right hand side is productive. Love the way he shifts the ball quickly to give him that yard of space to whip it in. Great player.

Great goals by Rooney, but having Valencia back is just awesome. He never wastes possession, his crossing is excellent and almost everything he does down that right hand side is productive. Love the way he shifts the ball quickly to give him that yard of space to whip it in. Great player.

Yeah. Good to see him looking like he was at his best. Some times with these horrible injuries players never look the same afterwards a la Eduardo (although his was obviously worse) which is a shame.

Amazing display. The ref has really changed the game by not sending off Vidic. Who'd have thought it - a Man U player NOT being sent off, and they go on to win?

Well David Luiz should have been sent off when we played Chelsea, so that evens things up a bit. Now why don't you troll off back to the Liverpool thread.

Thought Valencia was brilliant today... looked a constant threat and delivered some great crosses

despite going 2 behind i thought we deserved the win for the amount of pressure we applied both in spells during the 1st half and most of the 2nd

brilliant result though at a place that has often been our undoing

Cracking result in the end, at 2pm today I was gearing up for a day of rubbish results yet if the current game stays as it is it will be a massive boost.

Rooney was abaolute gash in the first half but he really lit up when Hernandez came on and as everyone has said Valencia was brilliant. It's funny really as both Valencia and Hernandez could be considered 'unfashionable' in terms of the modern footballer - neither are particularly skilful on the ball yet they are ruthlessly effective at what they do. Valencia does what he does well time and time again and Hernandez's movement in the box is amazing to watch. So many strikers drift around or stay static yet Hernandez is constantly changing direction and the angle of his runs and even if the defender know where he is they have no idea where he might be 2 seconds later.

Needed more attack, so we had three strikers, two wingers (and a third later on) going full-tilt. Evra didn't do that much because he didn't have much to do so having Giggs on the left going forward and coming back when needed (which wasn't very much) seemed to work. We had sixteen corners, they had zero. It sums up how one-sided the match was, despite the penalties. Three defenders was enough, and I was happy to see all three of our now-performing strikers working well on the same pitch.

Just to add to the point above about Evra I thought Chico ran into spaces and made them defend deeper and moved them around. This gave us more time on the ball and allowed us to pick better passes, especially as the movement improved and there where players in the box. Previously Rooney was dropping deeper to create and there was nobody there to get on the end of Valencias work. So with a poacher on the field, Berbatov having time on the ball and Rooney becoming more influential with more space it built on Valencia's work.

I think the reshaping of the team allowed all this and it needed subs on. Why Evra? As poor as Gibson and Carrick where they're still needed there to link and defend. Without them I think Rooney would have gone even deeper to receive the ball or Smalling and Vidic would have hit it longer and longer. Us keeping the ball better and forcing them back reduced their opportunities to break on us and the two CM's where a part of this.

He can't take off Valencia or Rooney. Which leaves Park, who got hooked for Berba later on, Giggs or a defender. I thought Giggs did well in the first half so deserved to stay on. Now Vidic especially played like a special needs donkey yesterday but realistically both CB's have to stay. So it's a full back, and I think Fabio was saved by the fact he could play on the right so was moved there, meaning Evra had to go and Giggs theoretically in his place.

In short we needed to go for it being 2 down and in honesty we'd had all the ball and chances and they didn't really create much so he felt a defender could be replaced.

Just to add to the point above about Evra I thought Chico ran into spaces and made them defend deeper and moved them around. This gave us more time on the ball and allowed us to pick better passes, especially as the movement improved and there where players in the box. Previously Rooney was dropping deeper to create and there was nobody there to get on the end of Valencias work. So with a poacher on the field, Berbatov having time on the ball and Rooney becoming more influential with more space it built on Valencia's work.

This pretty much nails it. Onwards to Stamford Bridge!