IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

It'd be nice to get a result there, especially considering the number of times we've been dicked out of a result at Stamford Bridge.

Realistically, a 1-1 draw would be good (and likely), but I'd love nothing more than to do a Schalke on em' :D SAF wants a goal or two, so we'll certainly have a go I reckons.

you'd rather have park on the pitch over Nani? :wacko:

Consider our record at Stamford Bridge. I think it's better to hold something back, so you can give them something different to think about later in the game, instead of starting with all guns blazing. First and foremost, we need to keep a lid on the game.

Nani will play, I'm sure.

Did he mention Anderson at all in his press conference? I saw pictures of him training but not sure what his fitness is like. I'd like him to start with Scholes and Carrick in midfield if he's fit.

Its always difficult to second guess Fergie but I'm fairly sure we'll play a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3, at least to start with.

Depending on injuries/fitness I'd go with.

Van Der Sar

Rafael

Evra

Ferdinand

Vidic

Scholes

Carrick

Park

Valencia

Nani

Rooney

If Anderson was to be fit I'd play him instead of Park, who at the weekend didn't look 100 percent for me.

Ferguson's talk of gaining a first-leg advantage has me thinking that he might start with two up front, similar to the league game. The lack of both Anderson and Fletcher would also contribute to that decision. Park has had some great performances in the centre of midfield, particularly when he was tasked with stifling Pirlo against Milan last season, but after the lay-off he's had he didn't look at his best against West Ham.

Really can't agree with 4-5-1, even if it works, it looked horrid against West Ham and we have so much more up front that we can push with. If VDS is fit.

Rafael Smalling Vidic Evra

Valencia Scholes Carrick Nani

Rooney Berbatov

Half-time, push Rooney back into Scholes' place, Chico on, Giggs for Valencia if he's not getting anywhere.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Should be a great game, with the potential to be unusually open for a European game between two generally quite conservative teams. I hope if we get a goal ahead like we did in the league game, Ferguson won't be afraid to go defensive and take a forward off.

I wonder how that'll line up. 4-4-2 with Carrick and Park or Giggs in the middle seems a bit flimsy. If it's a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with Carrick, Park and Giggs all in the middle that means Rooney being pushed to the left most likely.

Why Giggs? A partnership of him and Carrick fills me with dread.

He's started Giggs in central midfield against Chelsea before in a 442(although with Fletcher) and he was man of the match, I think Ferguson said it was because he wanted someone who could run with the ball.

I think Valencia is going to be very important tonight, he stops Cole from getting forward and although Hernandez isn't the tallest I expect his movement and heading ability to get him chances from Valencias crosses.

Haha! In the goal celebration Rooney shot one sly little look at the TV Camera pointed at him, almost looking a bit guilty!

Despite the awful ITV Commentary as ever they've got one thing right, Giggs is still immense on his day.

No mention of Torres' dive in the first half? If that was Rooney the idiots would have been in here right away to demand he gets taken out back and shot.

:quote:

Let Torres take the shot, no worries.

Get in, great pass by Giggs :omg:

Every element of the goal was pure class- the swept ball from Carrick, the control and then the weighted pass from Giggs, then a neat sidefoot from Rooney. Every bit was just delicious.

Yeah Ramires should've got a penalty late on, but I don't think they can really say they've been mugged. Ref went pretty easy on them the whole game, and of course we were due some luck against them. Fantastic result.