IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Random thoughts:

What a fantastic game of football. We were pretty awesome on the whole too. Rio is a fucking gladiator, god knows how he completed 90 minutes. Best performance of the season? Schalke should be beatable in the semis then it's time to get destroyed by Barca again!

Cracking performance from the lads tonight, all of them putting in a decent shift. Park might not be the most gifted footballer, but fuck me, that lad just does not stop chasing the ball down and he took his goal well.

Giggs again though, absolute master-class. :wub:

We (or rather Evra) still looks prone to mistakes but we played some lovely footbal at time and deserved the win. 18 goals for Hernandez now, mental.

The players are really looking like they are enjoying it at the moment and going from strength to strength. Bring on City!

We look like a hell of a team playing that 4-2-3-1 or whatever it is. Chelsea were reduced to stopping us with cynical fouls, we were the better side in a very competitive game. Park was fucking immense throughout, as a fan it's great to see a player who'll chase everything. He even did something useful with pretty much every ball hoofed up to him, which given his slight build is no small feat. Probably the only mediocre performance was O'Shea, who was found lacking in pace, and his use of the ball was sometimes poor. I doubt Rio will play at the weekend, there were moments when he looked like he was having trouble just walking. Evidently he didn't think it was worth coming off for though, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I think if Ancelotti had started with the 4-3-3 in both games, and played Drogba instead of Torres it might've been different. He is their best player by far, and you knew when he came off the bench he would nick a goal. He always finds a way. Even if Torres was fit and in full form, I still wouldn't play him in a game like this over Drogba. He only got on the team sheet because of his price tag.

Hernandez is a great poacher, but in terms of general build-up play there's still a lot he could do to improve I feel. I don't think he runs with the ball particularly well and his passing is pretty suspect.

Anyway I thought we were decent tonight. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that we were far superior over the two legs, I think that's a narrative constructed because of the scoreline and Chelsea's general decline in the league. In both games Chelsea had some very decent chances and periods of dominance, more than us I think, and it was only really wayward finishing and a bit of luck that meant it wasn't closer. I don't think a draw in either game would have been an unfair result, put it that way. Still, it's about time we had some luck against them.

We weren't drastically superior, but we were still the better team. In both games we had an edge in every third of the pitch, but particularly in midfield. Carrick and Giggs were far more effective than Lampard and Essien, both in attack and defence, and that proved pivotal.

I disagree but hey. I mean, take the first half of this game (before we scored at the end) and the second half of last week's game and Chelsea were easily superior both territorially and in terms of good chances created.

What? I swear the only shots on target they had today were Lampard's chance in the first half and then the goal.

I thought it was a really classy display today, a job thoroughly well done. Rooney's vision and passing were immense, Park was probably Man of the Match, Giggs was superb, Chicharito was great, etc etc. Very happy today.

I disagree but hey. I mean, take the first half of this game (before we scored at the end) and the second half of last week's game and Chelsea were easily superior both territorially and in terms of good chances created.

While they did have some good territory I think you're doing them a favour by suggesting they were creating good chances. Apart from Lampards and then the goal nearly every shot was from 25 yards and not very close. I thought we played a lot better today than last week and we were easily worth the victory (today).

But you can't split games and say we weren't as good because we were. Games aren't one half and they weren't superior, look at their shots off-target today, wasteful.

Surely you can't assess the better team based on how many minutes of the tie each team dominated possession, and how many shots each had. Among other things, you have to also factor in defending, clear cut chances created, and chances actually taken. Even supposing they had the better of us for half of the tie, they failed to take their chances, and they conceded three goals. The only goal that they did score didn't even come in one of those periods of dominance, whereas our best periods of play yielded goals.

I think the overwhelming difference between Man U and Chelsea is just how many players in the United squad can create chances to score. Over the two legs Giggs, Valencia, Park, Hernandez, Nani and Rooney all had multiple shots on goal. With Chelsea, other than Ramires, Drogba was the only one to really penetrate.

Probably the only mediocre performance was O'Shea, who was found lacking in pace, and his use of the ball was sometimes poor.

Disagree. He defended solidly, wasn't beaten after the opening shaky 20 minutes where the entire team was under pressure and wobbled, did nothing wrong after the opening. Basically a typical O'Shea performance.

Throw in that exquisite pass to set Giggs free for the opener and I think it's an O'Shea+/10 from him.

Thought Evra was again pretty terrible defensively and he committed the most stupid act of the game, that like last week, could have cost us dearly. One of their few clear chances that forced a save came from the freekick on the edge of the box that was caused by a needles foul by Evra when the ball was in the possession of another player who was stood still. Another yard back and it would have been a penalty.

In one way it's a daft thing to say as anybody would struggle against Messi or Ronaldo if we get to the final, but bloody hell, Evra is going to struggle against them if we get there.

Disagree. He defended solidly, wasn't beaten after the opening shaky 20 minutes where the entire team was under pressure and wobbled, did nothing wrong after the opening. Basically a typical O'Shea performance.

Throw in that exquisite pass to set Giggs free for the opener and I think it's an O'Shea+/10 from him.

Thought Evra was again pretty terrible defensively and he committed the most stupid act of the game, that like last week, could have cost us dearly. One of their few clear chances that forced a save came from the freekick on the edge of the box that was caused by a needles foul by Evra when the ball was in the possession of another player who was stood still. Another yard back and it would have been a penalty.

In one way it's a daft thing to say as anybody would struggle against Messi or Ronaldo if we get to the final, but bloody hell, Evra is going to struggle against them if we get there.

Wasn't it Evra who let Drogba get in behind him for their equaliser? Defensively, he's been a bit of a liability for us in the last few weeks, but going forward last night, he did well I thought.

Park was MOTM for me though, always shows up for the big games for United.

Can't believe we are in another Champions league semi final. You used to dream about getting this far in the competition, but we are doing it basically every season now. I want to know how we are perceived in europe, we must be at least the 3rd side people do not want to face, after Barca and Real. I don't want to get complacent but we've got a good chance of reaching the final were anything can happen. Also Wayne Rooney is on fire.