IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I've not seen anything of Schalke this season but how on earth did this lot manage to put 7 past Inter? It's the most ridiculously one sided semi I've seen since, ooh, Bolton-Stoke. Man U aren't even having to play that well, don't have to when it's all "here have all the space you want to just wander into".

That was good fun! I was so sure it was going to be one of those nights until Giggs slotted that ball away. Baffling how they can be the same team that destroyed Inter but you can see why Neuer's finally had enough- the guy's an absolute beast whilst being one of the most calm looking goalies you'll ever see.

I've not seen anything of Schalke this season but how on earth did this lot manage to put 7 past Inter? It's the most ridiculously one sided semi I've seen since, ooh, Bolton-Stoke. Man U aren't even having to play that well, don't have to when it's all "here have all the space you want to just wander into".

They are stupidly inconsistent, which is why they have been struggling in the Bundesliga and the manager has been replaced. Their defence is shocking, and has been all season, Neuer apart. They were banking on Metzelder sorting it out, but he hasn't gelled at all well, and most of their money went on strikers, one of whom (Huntelaar) has been shit and/or injured the whole season. Well, apart from for Holland for who he is banging them in.

Tonight we became the first team ever to complete a full slate of CL games without conceding an away goal. Incredible!

I think that is an amazing statistic. To go away from home and not concede is pretty special.

However, it makes the fact they we've been rubbish away from home in the Premier League all season even more bizarre to me!

I thought we made them look ordinary last night, lets not forget this is a team that put 5 past Inter Milan at the San Siro. I'm still wary about the home leg so I hope we're professional enough to not slack in the return leg.

All being well another Champions League final to look forward to, too :)

All being well another Champions League final to look forward to, too :)

I can't wait for this. I'm hoping, if we make it of course, that I can call in a few favours and get some tickets.

That was like playing FIFA 11 on the easiest setting.

There's still a job to do next week but I've little doubt that it will get done without the usual stress we have to endure. It's not quite at the point where the Carling Cup side can be sent out to look after this lot while Sir Alex focuses on wrapping up the league against Chelsea. It quite easily could have been, though.

I'm wondering what Schalke could've done differently? Maybe playing with a higher line, and pressing further up the pitch would've seen them take more possession, but that could've left more space in behind for our forwards to exploit. Their midfield seemed pretty absent at times, we had to get very deep into their territory before any resistance was met. If the plan was to sit deep and let us pass the ball sideways, it wasn't executed with anything like enough discipline, and they had little threat on the break. It was odd that their approach didn't seem to change in the second half either.

However, it makes the fact they we've been rubbish away from home in the Premier League all season even more bizarre to me!

Well, if you're travelling in the champions league, you know a draw is good enough. The players know how good we are at keeping teams out, so they don't feel the pressure so much. Away in the premier league, a win is still usually expected from them, which is a completely different mindset to go into a game with. They can't sit back and just let the game happen, they have to take the initiative. At least we aren't in the position Arsenal are, where their players look more comfortable playing away than at home sometimes, but it's still something I hope we can sort out next season.

I think jose mourinho would look at that man utd team and see that they have the sort of experience, expertise, and tactical and mental strength that he can only dream of instilling in real madrid. They defend very well collectively, run the risk of giving away very few freekicks. They keep the ball well, counter attack with speed, and attack with numbers. and that team that ferguson sent out last night was full of players who know their jobs, and obey instructions to the letter, while using it as a framework to express their talents.

When the opposition has the ball hernandez closes down the two centre halves, park and valencia peg back the fullbacks, rooney and giggs close down the midfielders with carrick sweeping behind them to pick up anyone coming through. vidic beats up the centre forward, ferdinand picks the ball up, and the full backs and the wingers team up on the opposition wide player.

Then when they have the ball, valencia and evra provide the width, with park and fabio pushing in to provide more passing options in midfield, Rooney who is a ball winning midfielder when they don't have the ball is a rampaging bull with the ball while the defenders desperately try and keep track of hernandez, Then giggs is playing like the player steve mcMannaman dreamed of being, picking the ball up deep, racing at the opposition committing players, before playing slick one twos, or hitting beautiful through balls.

We might think that they lack a lot of glamour, but the team is full of incredibly experienced players, who make a lot of very good decisions, and more than anyone else know how to control a game of european football. If you look at the football man utd have played to get to their last three finals, they conceded one knockout goal on the way to the 2008 final, 3 knockout goals on the way to the 2009 final, and 2 knockout goals on the way to this final. People who keep going on about the talent in the current madrid team are completely missing out on what makes a top european team.

Fergie said the tactics were wrong last time. Hopefully he gets it right this time. We need everyone to play well to pull it off. Honestly though, I'd prefer we went for it and got done 5-0 then try and defend for the 90 and lose 1-0.

I've not got any love for your lot, but as the CL final is looking very likely to be you against Barca I'd just like to say I hope you utterly smash the cheating, diving, card waving cunts out of the stadium.

I don't think they'll play (if that's the right word) quite like that against us though, we saw their special treatment for Madrid. There's bad blood between them, no doubt.

I worry about the speed of Barcelona's players. Having Giggs and Rooney in midfield will hopefully provide some much-needed mobility, because they ran rings around us last time. Having Hernandez chasing at the front will also deny the likes of Busquets time on the ball, making it harder for them to build attacks. I hope I think we should be able to mop up their pressure, and we're as dangerous on the break as we've ever been. We should be very hopeful of getting our fourth European Cup, imo.