IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Not often. Modric and Alonso did. Di Maria was regularly found bombing down the left wing.

Towards the end of the season Di Maria played most of his games in a central role, though often took up slightly wider positions than typical He made his name playing central midfield for Benfica and has often played there for Argentina also..

Towards the beginning of the season he played on the right wing, not the left wing. There's a player called Cristiano Ronaldo who has first dibs on the left wing position.

Well no, Utd losing 4-0 to lower league opposition doesn't just happen.

True, although it's the first time we've been involved with the Carling cup this early in some time, the difference being that it is normally after the transfer window has closed and you would hope players would want to work their way into the first team. There were probably 4 players starting last night (Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa and Anderson) who have been told they can leave and they looked like they had gone already (welbeck aside maybe). Not that it excuses the poor performance and i'd question why Van Gaal played them if that is the case.

Well done to the Dons, but that was abject from United. LVG wasn't shocked apparently, so he knows there are players in this squad who aren't of the required level.

I keep reading things from people saying we should dump the 3-5-2. I disagree, I think with the right personnel this system will thrive. What it's doing is showing the limitations of a player in this system. LVG likes a player to use his brain and have a good touch, seemingly, we are short on players who do not possess both traits. Nobody in defence ever looks comfortable on the ball, Rio was probably the best CB we had for composure where that was concerned - and we let him go. Again, though we ran into that problem where we get to the final third and stop. Pass it about for a bit. Then either hit an aimless cross/lose the ball/take a pot shot/try and play through a crowd of players.

I've absolutely no doubt in mind that given time, LVG will turn it around. He's won the league in every country he's been in, now we are a million miles from that happening, but his pedigree suggests he is a bit good at this coaching lark.

It's going to be a long transition, but we've got the right man for the job.

Is there a full list of the Moyes' records somewhere?

A google search threw up a few, but they might not be complete.

• First time Everton, Manchester City and Liverpool have beaten United home & away since Premier League's inception
  • First time Everton have beaten United home and away since 1969-70
  • First time Everton & Liverpool have ever done a league double over United in the same season
  • First time Man City & Liverpool have beaten United home & away since Premier League's inception
  • First time United conceded a first-minute goal in the Premier League (Edin Dzeko for Manchester City)
  • United are guaranteed to finish the season with their lowest ever Premier League points tally
  • United fail to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since 1995
  • United's worst home league form for over a decade
  • Suffered three defeats in a row for the first time since 2001 this season
  • Eliminated in the FA Cup third round - something which happened just once under Ferguson
  • First ever home defeat to Swansea this term
  • First home defeat to Newcastle since 1972
  • First home defeat to West Brom since 1978
  • First league defeat to Stoke since 1984

Depends entirely if you're from Manchester or not. You don't stop being a glory hunter because your team has a bad couple of seasons.

Surely a glory hunter doesn't have bad seasons as they just start supporting a different team.

If you support a team you aren't linked to, and were doing well when you started, then you're a glory supporter. Also your Dad who's never left Bath supporting them isn't a link. And if you were 'raised' supporting team X which you have no link to then you should have switched to your local team at a young age when everyone at school was rightly calling you a glory supporter.

Nailed it.

The older generations who support Liverpool - Started for the glory.

Hell of a lot of Man United fans outside of Manchester all got scooped up in the 20 years of domination.

Arsenal fans in there 20s scattered about thanks to Henry.

Only City shirts I see outside of Manchester are on the youths.

All Glorious Glory hunters.

Never see any Chelsea fans though... That's probably the John Terry Factor no matter how many trophies you win, there's no cure for being a cunt.

I've been called a glory hunter in this very thread in the last week or so, but...

I'm from Manchester, and I've supported them since the early 80s.

How's that work out then?

It doesn't really apply to us in Northern Ireland with the whole "being from Manchester" bit. Everyone over here supports a Premiership team, apart from the "tribalists" who support either Celtic or Rangers. The choosing of that team obviously doesn't come down to the vicinity you live, but who your close friends and family support. My uncle was the only one in the family who supported any football and he was a Utd fan, so I became a Utd fan, but it certainly wasn't in prosperous times. The first year I remember was 88/89 season. We came 11th(?), didn't do any better the following year, but Utd were my team. So, you can not equate being a glory hunter with supporting a team that aren't local to you. Nor can you say that every Utd fan that has started supporting them in the past 20 years and aren't from Manchester, are glory hunters. There will be a proportion of course, but there are other extenuating circumstances.

I wasn't really into football when I was young. My dad is a city supporter but my best mate at school was a big utd fan. With utd everything. This was in 1990 or so. So I became a utd fan just through association. Didn't really watch much football but that started to change as I got a bit older. Couldn't really support my closest football league team Carlisle either because they voted out my nearest towns team Workington Reds from the football league in the 70s or so. And I always remember my dad going in about the traitors. So utd it was.

No, people don't switch between big teams like that unless they're actual retards. It's to do with why you supported the team you do in the first place.

Exactly. My Uncle grew up in Glasgow and Manchester, but supports Liverpool. They've only won the league once during my life time, but does that make him less of a glory hunter? Of course not.

How did we start talking about this? Would you rather someone did this hipster thing of supporting someone like Arsenal / Dortmund who play nice football, but are sufficiently below the 'top' clubs in terms of success, to avoid such accusations?

It's weird he said he wasn't shocked. So... Maybe you should have put out a better side? I dunno.
Yeah. At least he didn't say he thought we played well.

• Xevious changed the title to The old Man Utd Thread
  • Xevious locked this topic