Liverpool Football Club

Stilly

I really don't think Benayoun plays enough. I always wondered last season why him and Babel were never on the pitch at the same time. When you're a top four team, teams will try to be a compact as possible, and you need some pace and width to break them down. Playing narrow and cautious against narrow and cautious teams of a lesser ability is crazy.

I really don't think Benayoun plays enough. I always wondered last season why him and Babel were never on the pitch at the same time. When you're a top four team, teams will try to be a compact as possible, and you need some pace and width to break them down. Playing narrow and cautious against narrow and cautious teams of a lesser ability is crazy.

Yet we are at our narrowest when Babel and Benayoun play. Both of them fancy themselves as central players so they both look to come inside 99% of the time.

Kuyt holds his position well and provides width from the right but isn't much of a threat when he's got the ball at his feet out wide. Riera has given us something different and Kuyt has been great at making late runs into the box from the right wing, attacking the crosses Riera puts in. But yeah, without Riera we struggle terribly for width.

Squad news for tomorrow:

Liverpool's Emiliano Insua, Nabil El Zhar and Sami Hyypia all miss out as they are not registered with Uefa for group matches.

Fernando Torres (hamstring) and Fabio Aurelio (calf) are out, while Dutchman Dirk Kuyt is rested and did not travel.

Manager Rafael Benitez has added reserve defender Martin Kelly, plus local products Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing, to the squad.

Liverpool from: Reina, Cavalieri, Kelly, Dossena, Agger, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Keane, Arbeloa, Babel, Lucas, Carragher, Ngog, Spearing, Darby.

Shame for Insua and El Zhar - would've liked to see them starting.

Going by Rafa's comments, I'm guessing the back-line will be: Cavalieri, Darby, Carra, Agger, Dossena.

Lucas is going to play and Keane will definitely start up front. I'd like to see Spearing given a start too.

The Liverpool team in full: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Arbeloa, Riera, Mascherano, Lucas, Babel, Keane, Ngog.

Subs: Reina, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Darby, Spearing, Kelly.

Oh well. Bit of a shame he wasn't as daring as he could've been. Time for the players who aren't usually in the first team to step it up tonight.