Liverpool Football Club

Stilly

Don't talk as if it's just that simple. Hicks is fighting tooth and nail to keep hold of the club and will do ANYTHING to keep it. Do not underestimate the owners and board. That's why it has to be taken seriously.

You can't blame him. But, sooner or later he will lose his grip on Liverpool FC. Hopefully sooner obviously.

The formula being get crosses into the box and watch us defend like in the good old days of David James in goal? :facepalm:

At this moment in time, Skrtel, That Greek, Carragher and Johnson just ain't good enough. The defending in the last few games has been beyond pathetic. If we aren't lucky, we will end up losing all our top players, including our best one, Reina.

Oh, and in hindsight, perhaps we should have cashed in on the injury crock that is Torres. I love him as a player, but we can't cope with him being injured all the time. He'll pop off over to Spain for the next two weeks, play for them, come back injured again and we will be starting with Ngog again against Everton. I'm still baffled as to how we are the only top 6 ( :lol: ) team without more than one established striker.......which has been the same for 2 seasons now.

At this moment in time, Skrtel, That Greek, Carragher and Johnson just ain't good enough. The defending in the last few games has been beyond pathetic. If we aren't lucky, we will end up losing all our top players, including our best one, Reina.

Carra is a real problem in so many ways, even beyond his defensive frailties on the pitch over the past 14 months. Agger is a sublime defender but obviously Uncle Roy either doesn't use him at all or sticks him at leftback (apart from yesterday due to injury). Our deep defensive line and 'man to man marking' has been comedy gold. But then again zonal marking apparently doesn't work according to the Sky experts. :facepalm:

I love the way also that central midfielder Raul Meireles is being played everywhere apart from his proper position.

I felt the same but then, who else were we going to get? I do agree with you, but it's not like we can pick and choose at the moment. We need to realise that we're just an average side and stop rating ourselves on past glories. That said, I've never been a Roy fan but I won't go into it as bizarrely, it seems like that's frowned upon in here.

That Inter boss seems pretty good...

Would he want to come to a club with the difficulties and uncertainties that Liverpool currently possess?

Probably not. Then again our squad isn't bad at all and we have numerous decent youngsters that may just make the grade for once. We aren't a lost cause and the fans don't really expect top 4. I'm gobsmacked as to how wrong Hodgson is getting every tactic and decision. It's as if he's sabotaging us from within. He was a good pundit at the World Cup though. He should do that instead. ;)

It's really unfortunate that we've now got a 2 week wait to dwell on this god-awful situation, especially with Everton coming at the end of that. I can't see us beating anybody at the moment, my confidence in our abilities is so low.

Which seems to be the problem. Confidence on the pitch seems to be utterly AWOL, it's amazing the psychological difference it can make to what should be a decent set of players.

It's really unfortunate that we've now got a 2 week wait to dwell on this god-awful situation, especially with Everton coming at the end of that. I can't see us beating anybody at the moment, my confidence in our abilities is so low.

I'd make a sizeable bet that you do indeed beat us at Goodison. That's exactly how the Derby tends to go - it's hardly a marker of form, more of desire, luck, sheer beligerence and questionable officiating. I'm just hoping for no season ending injuries or sendings off for the boys in blue. Derby result aside, a pox on both our houses at the moment.

I'd make a sizeable bet that you do indeed beat us at Goodison. That's exactly how the Derby tends to go - it's hardly a marker of form, more of desire, luck, sheer beligerence and questionable officiating. I'm just hoping for no season ending injuries or sendings off for the boys in blue. Derby result aside, a pox on both our houses at the moment.

Normally unpredicatble, yes. But I don't think we'll ever be heading into a derby where our current weaknesses align with your strengths (mainly crosses and players who are good at getting on the end of them).

I am amazed at so much criticism being directed at the manager and so little at the players.

yeah well it's not benitez, is it? i think alot of fans turned into supporting rafa fc rather than liverpool, i always supported rafa and the team and now i'll support hodgson too, at least until it gets out of hand..

i mean.. its not out of hand yet, is it? oh fuck it blame the yanks!

I am amazed at so much criticism being directed at the manager and so little at the players.

Are you kidding? The players are getting slaughtered, Gerrard and Carragher in particular are getting it in the neck. Opinion's pretty divided on the latter, many of us want him dropped for his failings on the pitch as well as his rumoured dressing room shenanigans.

Aye, managing Inter in Serie A has been a tough, tough job in recent years.

Well the way the English media are making out, he's the worst manager ever.

Well yes, the players have to take the blame first and foremost. I've already mentioned my issues with Gerard and his moaning. Torres is just unfit and has been for ages.

The players that have gone and the players that have been bought just don't match up at all in terms of quality. Now who's fault is that?

Do you really think that is Hodgson's fault? There's no money. It's all gone. Liverpool are a mess behind the scenes and he wasn't ever going to be given a huge war chest to spend.

Hodgson was never going to be able to sign a player for £20 million as has been done in the past.

Are you talking about this thread or in general (media)?

If you're talking about the media, the current narrative is that's it's mainly the players' fault (an angle they didn't really take last season) or the evil Spaniard for buying dross.

It was the same when Rafa was here, so why should it change now?

I don't know which players to blame, really. People are slagging Torres but the lad barely sees any of the ball and is left to feed off scraps. He only received 7 passes against Sunderland and still managed to set up both of the goals, but because he didn't score, he gets criticised.

The defence have been awful, but whenever we conceded a goal under the previous manager it was down to that silly zonal marking system.

The midfield is a shambles. There is no shape to speak of. Everybody just drifts all over the place, and our wide-men want to be in the middle so that area of the pitch becomes a scrum. He's set us up with a very deep line, which invites pressure, and a midfield with no balance in front of it.

I'm not calling for his head but I do think there are valid criticisms and concerns about the way he's setting the team up.

It was the same when Rafa was here, so why should it change now?

I don't know which players to blame, really. People are slagging Torres but the lad barely sees any of the ball and is left to feed off scraps. He only received 7 passes against Sunderland and still managed to set up both of the goals, but because he didn't score, he gets criticised.

The defence have been awful, but whenever we conceded a goal under the previous manager it was down to that silly zonal marking system.

The midfield is a shambles. There is no shape to speak of. Everybody just drifts all over the place, and our wide-men want to be in the middle so that area of the pitch becomes a scrum. He's set us up with a very deep line, which invites pressure, and a midfield with no balance in front of it.

I'm not calling for his head but I do think there are valid criticisms and concerns about the way he's setting the team up.

Now this man is talking sense well said!

Yeah Hansen hit the nail on the head last night when he said it's the players that are on the pitch at the end of the day, and in general, their individual performances so far this season have been shocking. I was at the match yesterday and the only players who imo can hold their head up about their level of performance is Gerrard, Reina and Skrtel (and maybe Jovanovic when he came on).

I do think a certain amount of finger pointing has to be directed towards the manager, he's in charge of team morale, he's in charge of the formation and tactics, and he's been responsible of signing a number of the players who've been played this season.

We have to get behind the team though. I think the players will be well up for the derby in two weeks, and that passion and desire has been noticably missing from our play this season.

P.S. I think the reason Torres has been so much stick isn't because he's been missing the odd chance or three (and dogsout is right - he hasn't had to service in truth), but that he looks so disinterested. His body language is all wrong, his heads always down, he doesn't even flip out at refs in a frustrated manner anymore. None of that is down to form, it's down to eagerness and willing and being keen to play for the team. I suspect all of the above are signs that he simply doesn't want to be here.

I couldn't disagree more about Torres. I don't understand what makes football fans think they are experts at reading body language/minds. He's been trying, and he's been contributing - he just can't get into games because the tactics are fucked. All this 'he doesn't want to be here' stuff, the lad could have gone pretty much wherever he wanted this summer, but he decided to stay and give the manager a chance. He probably knew we were in for a tough year; he's not daft. Let's not forget, it was only last season that he said he felt that we needed to sign 4 or 5 world class players in order to compete. He stayed in the summer out of loyalty to the club, and I doubt he'll repeat that mistake come the next transfer window.

I'm not saying I'm an expert in body language, but it's written all over the lad. Maybe you can't see it on the TV as easily but the difference between him this season and him last season is as blatent as a punch in the face - on and off the ball. I've seen him play in every game this season and, having a season ticket, it's something that myself and the 15 or so guys who also have season tickets around me have been saying for a few weeks now.

He does try - at times, and you're right the service into him hasn't been great. But the crux of the issue to me isn't that he's playing poorly but that he's not putting the effort into his game that makes him such a good player. His perseverance, his moving into dangerous positions, his run making, his communication with the rest of the team - all gone. I've lost count of the number of times this season that a cross has come into the box and he's just stationary. Last season he would've been steaming in to try to get on the end of it.

Maybe he needs a piece of magic or maybe he's just not fully fit. But not being fit doesn't explain why he doesn't seem bothered, or isn't performing the above actions.

The most infuriating thing for me personally is that a fully energized and fully fired up Torres is what we really need right now.

We need our team to play 10 yards further forward to get the best out of Torres.

Also seen a very good point made, so far the only manager to get the best out of Nando is Rafael Benitez. For Atletico and Spain, he just hasn't replicated that form and even when he's been injured he's scored regularly.

I'm not saying I'm an expert in body language, but it's written all over the lad. Maybe you can't see it on the TV as easily but the difference between him this season and him last season is as blatent as a punch in the face - on and off the ball. I've seen him play in every game this season and, having a season ticket, it's something that myself and the 15 or so guys who also have season tickets around me have been saying for a few weeks now.

He does try - at times, and you're right the service into him hasn't been great. But the crux of the issue to me isn't that he's playing poorly but that he's not putting the effort into his game that makes him such a good player. His perseverance, his moving into dangerous positions, his run making, his communication with the rest of the team - all gone. I've lost count of the number of times this season that a cross has come into the box and he's just stationary. Last season he would've been steaming in to try to get on the end of it.

Maybe he needs a piece of magic or maybe he's just not fully fit. But not being fit doesn't explain why he doesn't seem bothered, or isn't performing the above actions.

The most infuriating thing for me personally is that a fully energized and fully fired up Torres is what we really need right now.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, mate, but a lot of what you've said there actually strengthens my argument, rather than yours. Torres' movement has not changed at all. His game is still all about making those early runs in the channels, and playing vertically. The service hasn't just been 'not great', it's been atrocious. Absolutely woeful. You claim that you have 'lost count of the number of times this season that a cross has come into the box and he's just stationary', I can't believe that for one moment. There have been entire matches where our wide-men have failed to provide a single cross into the box. He's not attacking the ball in the same way because there is nothing to attack.

If people want to criticise him, then that's up to them. But he's made a huge sacrifice for the club by staying on when he probably knew he shouldn't. And when he comes to his senses and ships out, his critics will only have themselves to blame.

Also seen a very good point made, so far the only manager to get the best out of Nando is Rafael Benitez. For Atletico and Spain, he just hasn't replicated that form and even when he's been injured he's scored regularly.

I made that same point in here at various stages of Rafa's reign, when people were getting into him due to his handling of Torres. Absolutely mental.

Do you really think that is Hodgson's fault? There's no money. It's all gone. Liverpool are a mess behind the scenes and he wasn't ever going to be given a huge war chest to spend.

Hodgson was never going to be able to sign a player for £20 million as has been done in the past.

Well he still spent about £20m in the Summer on Meireles/Poulson/Shelvey et al, so there was some money around. Plus he let £20m go out on loan without even giving him a run in the side - can anybody say we'd be in a worse position had Aquilani been playing instead of Lucas/Poulson?

I'm not even sure Aquilani is even that good - because he played so little. Clearly Roy saw something (or not) in training to convince him to let him go; wonder what the board made of that?

I wonder if he even knows what our strongest side would be, if he had to pick them on the basis of their preferred/best positions, rather than trying to accomodate Poulson in every game.

Jammin - you've obviously seen much more of Poulson first-hand than I - how do you rate him?