Liverpool Football Club

Stilly

Just have to say what a great results that was and hopefully that will start Torres now for the season. Also have to give a special mention to Kelly and Lucas both played a solid game!

Just hope we can follow this up with a good win on wed and a draw in the manc derby!

you maniac

:lol:

Just popping my head round the door to say well done, Liverpool were definitely the better team. We've coped well enough without Lampard and the team we put out yesterday would have been good enough to get a win against most teams but missing Essien, Lampard and Drogba was just too much to ask I think.

Torres gets the headlines and I see Lucas has got most of the plaudits in here but I thought Kuyt was the biggest difference. Outrageous pass for the first goal and the difference between Liverpool with him in the team is huge.

I had a bad feeling going into the game and as soon as I saw Drogba was on the bench I was pretty sure we'd lose and so it proved. At least we're in a position to be able to lose and still be top and we could be back to five points clear come Wednesday night.

Could have done without that shot of Joe Cole clapping away in the stands at the end though. :( Turncoat.

:lol:

Torres gets the headlines and I see Lucas has got most of the plaudits in here but I thought Kuyt was the biggest difference. Outrageous pass for the first goal and the difference between Liverpool with him in the team is huge.

Yeah I think a lot will agree with that, but I guess we're used to seeing Kuyt perform well for us over the years, whereas we've been waiting for Lucas to really shine for a loooong time.

Also, cheers Nate :)

I think lilman's on the money, in that Kuyt is so consistent, particularly in these big games, that he gets taken for granted a bit. I think him and Torres as a partnership looks very promising; they've only played as a proper two twice (I think), and Kuyt has laid on a fantastic assist both times. I love that about Kuyt, people bang on about his work-rate like it's all he brings to the side, but he's also got great game-intelligence. He just links so well with everyone.

Also: In the build up to the first goal Kelly played the ball up to Torres who, facing his own goal and moving towards the ball, fluffed up what should have been an easy touch. About 10 seconds after that Kuyt receives the same ball in a similar position but manages to control the pass and turn on it with little fuss, and play the killer ball.

Also: In the build up to the first goal Kelly played the ball up to Torres who, facing his own goal and moving towards the ball, fluffed up what should have been an easy touch. About 10 seconds after that Kuyt receives the same ball in a similar position but manages to control the pass and turn on it with little fuss, and play the killer ball.

Andy Gray covered this on the analysis, it's those sort of things you don't notice first time round. Kuyt took up a great position between about four Chelsea players, took a great touch, and then played that wonderfull pass into Torres. It really was great to see.

Andy Gray covered this on the analysis, it's those sort of things you don't notice first time round. Kuyt took up a great position between about four Chelsea players, took a great touch, and then played that wonderfull pass into Torres. It really was great to see.

I didn't catch the analysis but I suppose it was easier for me to notice because I've been banging on about the reasons for Torres' problems recently.

My friend text me today to let me know Lucas has misplaced a total of 8 passes in his last 4 games. If that's true, its pretty amazing.

That's one of the things I was thinking of when I mentioned the chalkboards. He's been brilliant recently.

Just got in having been in Liverpool since Thursday. Absolutely amazing atmosphere at both matches, was in the Kop for the Napoli match and the Upper Annie for Chelsea (where we got a massive grin and clenched fist from Digger :D).

Absolutely loving the performances of Gerrard, Torres, Lucas, Kelly and Dirk. Pepe is just on another planet and is probably our second best goalkeeper ever. Paul Konchesky keeps his middle name, though, and Carragher with Skrtel didn't look 100% comfortable. Soto is a beast and Jovanovic doesn't seem to know when to give up. Doesn't have the quality of Dirk but still a decent squad member.

Tactics. Well, from where I was sat in both matches it was really easy to see how we lined up and to tell you the truth, there were two styles out there.

For the first 60 minutes of the Napoli game and the last half an hour of the Chelsea match, we lined up in two straight lines with the forwards isolated. Both of these periods coincided with a drop in performance. We didn't retain the ball and we seemed to invite pressure. Wasn't too happy but given we were defending a 2-0 lead with a clearly fucked Nando and Kuyt in the side, more understandable than how we started the Europa League match.

The rest of the time? 4-2-3-1, how we missed you.

Against Napoli, the introductions of Gerrard and then Lucas transformed us. We went from lacking ideas to cutting through them with ease. Swapping Poulsen for Lucas was a breath of fresh air, Poulsen was absolutely shocking and even Spearing stepped up a level once Gerrard and Lucas were around him. I owe Spearing an apology, I thought last year that he was too lightweight and just didn't have the skill to make it as a squad member for us. He's really come on in the past 12 months and can really be called on when needed.

Shelvey is going to be a player, he was class against Northampton and he was class in both his appearances. He's really calm and strong on the ball. His decision making isn't 100% but he's still a kid. With the right guidance, he'll be a tremendous asset.

Lucas and Meireles need to start every game they can together. The ball retention was phenomenal until the latter got tired. Gerrard offers us so much going forward it's criminal to keep him in central midfield. He's a force of nature up front.

Dirk looked like he was never away, his touch was impressive and he harried for the first hour until he looked shattered. He just needs to build up match fitness though.

Maxi isn't a left winger but he's done a better job than most on that flank.

To have such two contrasting styles makes me wonder what's going on. We looked so much better using last season's tactics, so why did we make the switch and more importantly, why did we go back?

Still, two very enjoyable games to be at. Loved it.

Wow. I've seen two news pieces today (Both Guardian) about John Barnes not seeing the birth of his child.

What - isn't this his choice, his life, his decision? Not to mention it's his 7th child. What do they know about him, his partner, or their relationship?

Utterly baffling and non news-worthy; hacks making comment on things and people they know nothing about.

Win the next four and we should be challenging for the top 3 spots! Four games we should have no problem with - Stoke, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham.

Stoke will be a true test though. We should really lose it after beating Chelsea. If we beat Stoke then we truly know a corner has been turned.

Wow. I've seen two news pieces today (Both Guardian) about John Barnes not seeing the birth of his child.

What - isn't this his choice, his life, his decision? Not to mention it's his 7th child. What do they know about him, his partner, or their relationship?

Utterly baffling and non news-worthy; hacks making comment on things and people they know nothing about.

Barnes' wife went into labour early, that's why he stayed. They broke open the champagne in the studio during the game though, so it's not like he didn't care. Looked really happy.

Win the next four and we should be challenging for the top 3 spots! Four games we should have no problem with - Stoke, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham.

Stoke will be a true test though. We should really lose it after beating Chelsea. If we beat Stoke then we truly know a corner has been turned.

I thought we played Wigan next? The next 4 games are actually: Wigan, Stoke, West Ham and Spurs...

Barnes' wife went into labour early, that's why he stayed. They broke open the champagne in the studio during the game though, so it's not like he didn't care. Looked really happy.

Well exactly! He's been criticised for it, its utterly ridiculous. They're even doing a phone in on it, on 5Live; although at least they're doing it more tongue in cheek.

To have such two contrasting styles makes me wonder what's going on. We looked so much better using last season's tactics, so why did we make the switch and more importantly, why did we go back?

last years tactics? We lost to Chelsea last year and lost to most european teams last year. And those tactics were better? You're a giggle.

Heh I saw that. I didn't mean you. As far as I know it's only me and you and dogsout who actually want Roy to succeed.

Yawn! :rolleyes: I've not said anything bad against the man, I want ANY manager to suceed who is Liverpool manager. That's right, ANY manager ramone.

....and yes I know you said "As far as I know".