IGNORED

point and click adventures

sir podger

i love a good puzzle, and i miss the old school point and click adventures.

stuff like The Dig, or Day of the Tentacle from lucasarts, or the discworld games.

i dont want any fancy 3d, i want some unadulterated bastard puzzles to solve with stupid solutions like instead of using the bazooka in your inventory to open a thin wooden door, you have to combine a herring with some chewing gum and a bag of sawdust to tempt some termites out.

so come on good people, tell me some pc based point and click puzzle solvers

Thankyou

Grim Fandango.

One of the best games ever made, and one of the only whereby upon completion, i sat silent & still for minutes just wondering what the fuck I was going to do with the rest of my life. It took up so much of my time. So much nostalgia involved with Grim Fandango.

Love it love it love it!!

However, i'm not sure which is my favourite between this, Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2. Three of the best games ever made

In Memoriam.

Left-field but try Dreamweb and Darkseed (Amiga, probably had PC versions though).

Broken Sword's still a classic too.

Blade Runner on PC's probably one of the finest point 'n' clicks ever too.

Darkseed? Is that the one with the HR Geiger art and starts off with a guy getting an alien put inside his head?

The Longest Journey

Only played and completed this one recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Really damn good and some of the puzzles definitely fall into the "How in the hell?" category.

The game is full of great characters and its beautifully put together.

Someone told me there was a release of Dreamfall which included TLJ. They're both great and worth playing.. preferably in order and not the way I did it. :lol:

Space Quest 4 and 5, Heart of China, Rise of the Dragon. GO.

I quite liked KGB too, but it can be a bit annoying as there are so many places where you can fuck up, make it impossible for yourself to progress, yet not realise it for quite a while...

In Memoriam.

Left-field but try Dreamweb and Darkseed (Amiga, probably had PC versions though).

Broken Sword's still a classic too.

Blade Runner on PC's probably one of the finest point 'n' clicks ever too.

Oh, and was Dreamweb the one that supposedly had some sex scene in it that caused a (minor) uproar? Was it cyberpunk? Was there a bit with an elevator, and when you got out if you weren't really quick you'd get shot by some bodyguard? (This is what I remember from playing a demo of something I think was called Dreamweb, years ago).

Most of the greats have been covered, so now one from the left-field...

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the Serrated Scalpel

One of my personal favourites, amazing gfx, great story, loads of locations, lovely overall look.

Published by EA too.

Was a total bitch to get running back in the day, needed an obscene amount of EMS iirc, but works well in DOSBox.

Now, tell me that dunt warm the cockles o' ya heart:

holmesmap.gif

Not strictly retro of course but the recent episodic release of Sam and Max has, in my humble opinion, totally nailed the spirit of the point 'n' click for the first time in years. Great games the lot of them and by buying them you're supporting the future of the genre. Well worth checking out in addition to some of the excellent recommendations in this thread.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish

beamish4wp3.jpg

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist

fpbc7.jpg

There's also Gobliiins and it's two sequels. The first is great and has some really tough puzzles to keep you occupied.

180pxgoblins1ingameed9.png

They all need screenshots to demonstrate as the graphics are so lush :)

You also MUST play Toonstruck. It's an awesome Roger Rabbit-eqse experience, the music captures the essence of all the old cartoons and the voice acting is wonderful. I got it running in XP with this guide. It looks a lot of work, but isn't too bad to follow through - definitely worth it. The FMV plays a bit jittery on my machine, apart from that it's fine :)

The Adventures of Willy Beamish

beamish4wp3.jpg

I remember reading a review of the Mega CD version of that, with the main complaint being the intrusive freezing when loading major animations/events from the CD. I suppose that wouldn't be so much of a problem these days with a 52x drive! :)