Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Preacher

1 hour ago, sir shrew said:

I played it for the first time a few years ago, it's a classic. And check out Dawn of Sorrow after that.

What's funny is SOTN was regarded as dated on release for being sprite-based compared to 3D games/ Tomb Raider and yet 20 years later it has aged better than any of those early 3D titles.

Only in the UK - and even then a few (CVG for example) saw it for what it was - a masterpiece. In the US it received rave reviews and was a best seller.

4 hours ago, Lothar Hex said:

So...I just bought SOTN on my Xbox One after watching the Netflix series. I'm impressed so far but got confused early on, when I assumed hearts were health (and generous) but then figured out it's subweapon ammo.

That seems less than logical...

So anything else like that I should be on the lookout for. Not very far in at the moment.

Wall chicken. 

The Vita version of SotN is the 50Hz PAL version unfortunately, so it runs 20% slower than it should. It's still worth £2.49, but I would pay a bit extra for the version on Castlevania Dracula X, as that runs at the correct speed (although IIRC, that has different issues on the Vita).

34 minutes ago, K said:

The Vita version of SotN is the 50Hz PAL version unfortunately, so it runs 20% slower than it should. It's still worth £2.49, but I would pay a bit extra for the version on Castlevania Dracula X, as that runs at the correct speed (although IIRC, that has different issues on the Vita).

Dracula X Chronicles is £2.49 until the 19th!

1 hour ago, K said:

Well after reading this I've also bought Dracula X. Hate that 50hz nonsense. So if I unlock SOTN via the game I'll be able to play the 60hz release, can you then select to continue playing SOTN within the menu or something? What are the issues with Dracula X on Vita? It looks lovely on the Oled screen btw.

3 minutes ago, amc said:

Well after reading this I've also bought Dracula X. Hate that 50hz nonsense. So if I unlock SOTN via the game I'll be able to play the 60hz release, can you then select to continue playing SOTN within the menu or something? What are the issues with Dracula X on Vita?

You need to unlock SotN and it's a bit of a pain to do so, but it's dead easy to download a save and stick it on your Vita. Once unlocked, you can just select SotN from the title screen. 

The issues are (IIRC, I haven't played it in ages) are the occasional bug - some of the familiars don't work properly, and one crashes the game on occasion. It's annoying, but not game-breaking.

4 hours ago, Tetchy said:

Pro tip for anyone after the best version of Symphony of the Night on the VITA, buy the PSP version of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/castlevania-the-dracula-x-chronicles/cid=EP0101-ULES00841_00-GPCCASTLEV000001 for £2.49 currently.

Then do this;

[NB: the key bit is around 5:35 (falling down the hole to change Stage 3 so the area with the game unlock shows up)]

Plus there is also the original version of Rondo of Blood in there as well so 2 great games in one after a bit of faffing but so so worth it IMO

Better yet, just download a save file with the game unlocked and transfer it to the card. ;)

Just now, gossi the dog said:

The remake, not the original. You have to unlock that too.

Yeah, I know. I bought and played through all three games in Dracula X - it's an amazing collection. I quite liked the chunky 3D graphics of the remake, and felt it fell in line nicely with the look of the PS2 titles.

I was very late to the Symphony party and only gave it a good look when I had the XBLA release. I don't usually like "metroidvanias" because the map signposting (or lack of) can make backtracking a chore, but I really enjoyed it in the end, and the

mind controlled Richter

reveal was ace. I imagine I originally cheated the PSP unlock with an online save, but I'm pretty sure I've unlocked it myself since then.

Been enjoying this, but I feel a little too coddled by modern games now. Spent ages trying to jump over collapsing bridges with the wolf form, before looking up a guide and realising I needed to buy a gem to open a door on the other side of the castle. Up to the Sword boss now but got my arse handed to me by the fucking enemies on the stairs beforehand and had no idea I was running in to it.

I wish I kept the axes instead of the daggers for my subweapon...

Also, DEAR GOD THE VOICE ACTING. It's brilliantly terrible!

Played this first in 2007 when it came out on XBLA, then again last month where I got

Spoiler

the full 200.6%.

It really is a brilliant game that perfectly captures that "oh, I can't up there... yet" feeling of Super Metroid.

10 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

I like the previous Castlevanias but SOTN is the one where they absolutely nailed the character movement.

...until you ruin the experience by discovering the joy of backdashing to every location :D 

The SOTN that you unlock on the PSP Dracula X doesn't run full-screen though unless I'm missing something? 

It's native to the original 4.3 so it's accurate but that screen is small enough on the handheld without sticking a frame around it.

On 7/16/2017 at 21:34, Lothar Hex said:

Also, DEAR GOD THE VOICE ACTING. It's brilliantly terrible!

Just a note that if you play the version on the Dracula X Chronicles, they rewrote and re-recorded the English voice acting. It's still pretty bad, but it's not the classic "Miserable pile of secrets" version.

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

Just a note that if you play the version on the Dracula X Chronicles, they rewrote and re-recorded the English voice acting. It's still pretty bad, but it's not the classic "Miserable pile of secrets" version.

What! That's outrageous. Have any of the other versions been changed?

21 hours ago, dumpster said:

The SOTN that you unlock on the PSP Dracula X doesn't run full-screen though unless I'm missing something? 

It's native to the original 4.3 so it's accurate but that screen is small enough on the handheld without sticking a frame around it.

Yeah, what the fuck? I wish I'd read your post before buying this. I just unlocked SOTN in the PSP game and it has a frame all around it - not just black bars on the left and right as you'd expect, but at the top and bottom as well. It's like watching one of those videos people upload to Youtube with a huge frame around the actual video you want to watch which is squashed into a small portion of the whole screen to avoid copyright infringement detection. Why would anyone recommend this?

The screen resize options you can normally use on old games don't appear to be available for this either - because it's a PSP game maybe? Bah.

To change the screen size on the PSP version of Symphony you need to go to OPTIONS, DISPLAY SIZE. You set it on the very first menu screen, before you go in ORIGINAL GAME and choose Symphony.

On the subject of voice acting, I'd say the performances are a vast improvement on the original. The only line I miss is the "miserable little pile of secrets", but it's fine.

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

To change the screen size on the PSP version of Symphony you need to go to OPTIONS, DISPLAY SIZE. You set it on the very first menu screen, before you go in ORIGINAL GAME and choose Symphony.

On the subject of voice acting, I'd say the performances are a vast improvement on the original. The only line I miss is the "miserable little pile of secrets", but it's fine.

Appreciate the suggestion but that doesn't work. Once you start SOTN it reverts back to 'normal' in the display size options.

I've tried setting it to 'full', returning to the main menu, going back into the display size options to double check it's still at 'full' (it is) but as soon as I start SOTN it's the same massive frame as before, and the display size is no longer at 'full' when I return to the main menu.

Edit: Scratch that. I had to allow auto save. Full screen working now, thank god. Thanks.