Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Preacher

Right so do shields only protection against projectiles in this? Trying to fight the sword in the chapel and I can do it but always take damage. I get the knight shield from just after that before ascending the tower but seems to do bugger all against enemies.

Again FUCKING BATS! AND CROWS! ANYTHING WITH WINGS!

2 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

Surely the only time to use a shield is when you also have the Shield Rod equipped? It's pretty much pointless otherwise. 

Yeah I never used the shield.

@Lothar HexFurther to my earlier post about moving out of the way, the game harks back to the origins of the series - you essentially don't want to get hit. So you have two options, kill the enemies or move/jump/backdash out of the way. Some of the larger swords swing in an arc, and can be used whilst jumping, they're great for killing flying enemies. Also, if you have access to familiars, equip them and they'll pick off the odd enemy for you.

Yeah dumped

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Yeah I never used the shield.

@Lothar HexFurther to my earlier post about moving out of the way, the game harks back to the origins of the series - you essentially don't want to get hit. So you have two options, kill the enemies or move/jump/backdash out of the way. Some of the larger swords swing in an arc, and can be used whilst jumping, they're great for killing flying enemies. Also, if you have access to familiars, equip them and they'll pick off the odd enemy for you.

Yeah dumped the shield last night. Just going to the underground caverns now.  Sporting a healing cape, decent armour, a decent normal sword and a holy rod for killing demons and shit.

Managed to kill two bosses on low health yesterday as I ran in to them unexpectadly. The bosses in this are easier than traversing the castle.

I've spent a good few hours on this the past two evenings. Done all the easily accessible castle areas and just finished the underground caverns, then saved at the colosseum. I've been using a tiny knife almost exclusively due to its rapid attack speed and the fact that Alucard holds it at head height. Not sure if it's me or the weapon, but the game seems easier than I remember. Still absolutely brilliant though. 

Oh man, this game. This game. One of my favourites of all-time. I am still on an epic quest to get myself the Limited Edition PS1 version of this with artbook intact and OST CD not missing. I'll do it one day (when I have £250ish to pony up for it).

On 24/07/2017 at 12:48, Lothar Hex said:

Can anyone give me tips for Granfaloon? Fucking corpse pile keeps killing me. Not got any powers except the wolf one at the mo as well.

I just beat this thing last night. Probably one of my all time favourite bosses. Toughest one I've faced yet for sure, took me 3 or 4 attempts. I also only have the wolf power. I used a combination of a small dagger for quick but strong single attacks, a normal sword for slicing through the masses on the floor and some healing items once the lasers start. What sub weapon do you have? Also check your inventory for items to boost stats or cause big damage. I had a coin that unleashed some magical attack. Sorry for the lack of specific names, but I'm playing the Japanese version (much cheaper than the UK version and you get the same art book and music cd). Great cover art too. 

52870-Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Gekka_no_Yasoukyoku_(J)_(v1.2)-1453009803.jpg.048b1e64daf625154a5ad60dc7b51b0b.jpg

On 24/07/2017 at 12:50, kiroquai said:

Oh man, this game. This game. One of my favourites of all-time. I am still on an epic quest to get myself the Limited Edition PS1 version of this with artbook intact and OST CD not missing. I'll do it one day (when I have £250ish to pony up for it).

Is that what it goes for these days? I've got a copy with the cd but sadly the artbook was lost some years back. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, clumpyjamie said:

Is it really worth making a US account so I can play this again in 60hz. How difficult is it to set up? I have the Dracula X game on the Vita but would rather play it on the telly. 

Yup defo. You simply set up a new PSN account on your PS3 set to US, then buy some $$$ credit from somewhere like Play-Asia. Then PS1 60 hz games are your oyster. 

3 hours ago, clumpyjamie said:

Is it really worth making a US account so I can play this again in 60hz. How difficult is it to set up? I have the Dracula X game on the Vita but would rather play it on the telly. 

Hello, you could buy a PSTV.

On 25/07/2017 at 20:48, acidbearboy said:

I just beat this thing last night. Probably one of my all time favourite bosses. Toughest one I've faced yet for sure, took me 3 or 4 attempts. I also only have the wolf power. I used a combination of a small dagger for quick but strong single attacks, a normal sword for slicing through the masses on the floor and some healing items once the lasers start. What sub weapon do you have? Also check your inventory for items to boost stats or cause big damage.

Yah at the time I had the axe and feck all hearts. Doing so backtracking now to get a better subweapon and more hearts and some more healing stuff.

3 hours ago, Lothar Hex said:

Yah at the time I had the axe and feck all hearts. Doing so backtracking now to get a better subweapon and more hearts and some more healing stuff.

No - the axe is the best sub weapon to use against this boss. You can lob them and they'll hit multiple different parts of the enemy. Keep using them until they run out. Then dodge, jump, move whilst hitting as often as possible with a sword. Easy.