Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Preacher

I spent a good chunk of Friday playing this after getting so far and stopping for some reason, I got totally hooked again and was haing a blast, love how the castle opens up with each new ability and you're backtracking and checking the map to discover all the new areas. I've just got to the boss in the catacombs that throws all the zombies at you and I died there so that's the challenge for next time I play.

because of you assholes bringing up the Dracula X Chronicles PSP game a little while back I played through everything in that package, the original Castlevania, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and now I'm almost finished with Portrait of Ruin.

I'm gonna run out of games to play so might need some none Castlevania/Metroid series Metroidvania game recommendations.

I tried playing Mirrors of Fate but that game is straight up awful. Has me real worried about that new Metroid game.

So I've just unlocked the inverted castle and I'd forgotten what a step up in difficulty takes place, the clockwork room with the (b*stard) medusa heads now has some floating knight dudes chucking swords at you along with the aforementioned medusa heads doing their best to turn you into stone as you get pummeled by the floaty knights.

I just went from untouchable Alucard to feeling completely overwhelmed.

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

Traps and Gemstones on Apple and Android is lovely (Donut Games)

I rarely play mobile games because of the controls or they're free to play and feel exploitative. How can you play one of these on a touchscreen?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like the idea of playing Legacy of Kain as I only have the vaguest of memories. Hopefully by the time I've finished that Hollow Knight will be out on Switch. It's also good to be reminded that I already own Headlander and have never even loaded it up. Had not realised it was one of these. Shame Sundered is PS4 only as the Switch is my primary now and I rarely get time on the TV.

Cannot believe we've had the so so Song of the Deep recommended and yet not one mention of the incredible Ori.

Does Axiom Verge get good? Maybe it's just not for me but I've tried getting into it twice and there's just something very off putting about it. I can't quite figure out if I just don't like the art or if it suffered the latest time because I was coming fresh off playing Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night.

38 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So I've just unlocked the inverted castle and I'd forgotten what a step up in difficulty takes place, the clockwork room with the (b*stard) medusa heads now has some floating knight dudes chucking swords at you along with the aforementioned medusa heads doing their best to turn you into stone as you get pummeled by the floaty knights.

I just went from untouchable Alucard to feeling completely overwhelmed.

There is a definite easier direction to take through the inverted castle, even though it's all open.

13 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

There is a definite easier direction to take through the inverted castle, even though it's all open.

Would using a library card work in the inverted castle? I could have warped there and bought the map?

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Why Super Meat Boy? I just thought it was an exceptional one of these. With that and Guacamelee it was nice to see the genre back with these gorgeous expensive looking productions after Shadow Complex had threatened a comeback for the genre so many years before but led to nothing.

It might be off-putting to some as some of the challenges are rather pixel perfect. But whereas other MVs put that as optional, this one puts it smack down in the middle of the road. I've had some friends turned off completely by the "water tree" section and it was kind of punishing in giving you an ability and immediately demanding mastery.

In the end the soundtrack killed any positive feelings I had for the game, it's still on my todo list 3/4 through or so.

I can see that the difficulty would put some off put no more so than other examples in the genre like some of the bosses in Guacamelee (in fact that required some well timed jumps to progress as well) and I think I had more trouble getting past SA-X in Metroid Fusion than the whole of Ori combined. In fact I'd say most games in the genre have that one moment, and it'll be a different moment for everyone that'll leave people saying "fuck this game" while others waltz through with ease. Didn't the creators of Ori include an easy mode in the Definitive Edition for those gamers who couldn't quite hack it?

• 4 weeks later...

Got to Granfalloon. Unfortunately, an easy boss has become almost impossible due to the PS3 pad disconnecting every 10-20 seconds (not an exaggeration) and needing to be reset with the PS button. It's okay when it's just the zombies because they do hardly any damage, but when the laser comes up and I'm frantically hitting the PS button trying to regain control, I get hit pretty much every time. It's odd because I haven't had this issue anywhere else. Just on this boss.

Re: Metroidvania recommendations... Batman Arkham Asylum counts as one :P

Finally clicked with Ori and the Blind Forest recently, and I’m enjoying that. Took a good few restarts, but once the map starts opening up it gets its claws in you. I’d highly recommend playing it on easy though as the combat isn’t great.

I was looking for more of these sorts of game recently and would recommend Dead Cells. It's rogue like and early access which would both put me off normally but it feels complete and you should be able to just carry on as they add stuff/finish it. The rogue elements also seem to suit it well in this case. 

• 1 year later...