IGNORED

Chuck Palahniuk's Choke - NSFW Trailer - post #18

Goose

I think I'd have preferred Survivor over Choke but any adaptation is a good thing. This has been under development for years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32492

Dennis from ChuckPalahniuk.net here. I just got off the phone with Chuck, and it's official, 'Choke', Chuck's 4th novel, has been greenlit and is going into production on June 18th. Here's the story, as we're posting it on our front page.

Please post this with credit to me (as 'Dennis Widmyer') and a link to our site as the Official Site of Chuck Palahniuk.

You can also tell people Chuck is on tour for 'Rant' starting on Wednesday and all the dates are posted here.

I just got off the phone with Chuck and it's official: Choke is going into production on June 18th! Sam Rockwell is set to star, and first-timer Clark Gregg will be directing. A little history on Gregg: He wrote the Robert Zemeckis thriller What Lies Beneath and, as an actor, is a regular on the hit TV show The New Adventures of Old Christine. Gregg adapted Choke into screenplay form and has been championing the project for years now. God bless him and his tenacity as the film has finally been greenlit for production and Gregg will be getting his debut in the directing chair. Chuck also went on to tell me that the mom is most likely Glenn Close, Annette Benning or Juliana Moore.

Website goes life for Palahniuk's new book 'Rant'

http://www.rant-book.com/

• 8 months later...

Well, I knew this was filming, I saw a still of Sam Rockwell on set just the other week. But not only is it filming but it's actually finished and showing at Sundance this week. Apparently it sticks to the book very closely, which will be interesting to see. Turns out Angelica Houston got the mom role.

No idea if any of the other books are being adapted - I'd hope that Rant isn't the next one as I thought that was just a bit of a mess (though it might make sense when the further two books are out).

Survivor next please.

Both would be interesting films to see - Diary is almost a non-event kind of movie, save for the end.

I wouldn't mind seeing how Lullaby would turn out, but I imagine if they ever do Haunted, they'll have to edit....well pretty much most of the book in order to get a rating that wasn't NC17.

His latest, Snuff, is out in May and is three stories told in flashback by guys queuing up to take part in the world's biggest gang bang.

I couldn't get on with it - it's told like a series of interviews with various characters who Rant came in contact with. It's odd for the sake of being odd, lots of completely unexplained stuff. Then it gets weirder by throwing in some kind of time travel element. Or not.

Apparently part of a trio based on the character, who may be dead. Or not.

It just didn't gel together very well in my opinion. You know when you have a character and the writer gives them one weird trait or oddity? The character of Rant seems nothing but those things.

Aren't all of his books basically the same though? They all have an identical set-up and structure, they just alternate whatever things the characters are into, and what the reveal about the main character is.

Apart from Haunted, which is a failed attempt to create a story interlinking a series of short stories.

I've loved pretty much all of his work apart from Diary that I've attempted to read 3 times and gotten bored. I take it I'm not missing much? I also have Rant for crimbo. I havent read the one told from Chucks perspective about all the celebs either. That any good?

Very much looking forward to this.

Some great news ....

http://www.slashfilm.com/

In my review of Clark Gregg’s adaptation of the Chuck Palahniuk novel Choke (which was posted just minutes ago), I nervously wrote a plea to distributors, hoping that this film would get the big screen release that it deserves. Choke is not an easy film to market. It contains a lot of nudity and sex, and most distributors might not want to be associated with a Da Vinci Code-esque controversial subplot. Well good news Palahniuk fans, Choke was purchased for $5 million by…

Fox Searchight!!!!!

Fox Searchlight is by far my favorite studio in terms in independent releases. Searchlight knows how to market a little film, and they know how to execute the platform release. Searchlight is the company behind the success of Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, Garden State, Once, Napoleon Dynamite, Thank You For Smoking, and Sideways.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished watching this, there's a festival DVD screener out there with black and white scenes and a biggish "Property of" sticker through out.

Sam Rockwell is perfect in the role of Victor Mancini and Anjelica Houston goes from frail old lady to brunette bombshell in an instance. The guy who plays the best friend is good also as is Kelly McDonald as Houston's doctor. But I think where it falls down is the source material. The film is good adaptation, changing very little save for the ending, which isn't really that far removed to be honest.

But the story itself just doesn't seem to work as a film. It barely held the book together to be honest so filming it - it just seems a series of almost random traits belonging to a group of characters. We get some flashbacks of Rockwell as a child and a Houston as his fugitive mom. We see him as a sex addict (there's a lot of sex in the movie), we see his friend who's a habitual masturbater (15 times a day), the place they work (on a colonial farm) but really that's about it. The Choking plot point is grazed upon but its as if the film is embarrassed to have such a plot point.

As a curio it's worth watching (it's in and out the door in 1h 23m) but it's just nothing special. There's some laughs, some quite serious moments between Victor and his mother, who has dementia, and not a lot else really. As mentioned, Rockwell is very good and he's in pretty much every scene save for the flashbacks.

If you've read the book its interesting to see it on the big screen but for anyone else, they'll probably wonder what the fuss was about.

It was showing in the UGC at Nottingham but the times didn't fit into my schedule that day. I really liked the trailer, shame the film isn't such a hit. I'll still watch it though. Not a screener with black and white scenes and 'property of' message, though.

Just finished watching this, there's a festival DVD screener out there with black and white scenes and a biggish "Property of" sticker through out.

Sam Rockwell is perfect in the role of Victor Mancini and Anjelica Houston goes from frail old lady to brunette bombshell in an instance. The guy who plays the best friend is good also as is Kelly McDonald as Houston's doctor. But I think where it falls down is the source material. The film is good adaptation, changing very little save for the ending, which isn't really that far removed to be honest.

But the story itself just doesn't seem to work as a film. It barely held the book together to be honest so filming it - it just seems a series of almost random traits belonging to a group of characters. We get some flashbacks of Rockwell as a child and a Houston as his fugitive mom. We see him as a sex addict (there's a lot of sex in the movie), we see his friend who's a habitual masturbater (15 times a day), the place they work (on a colonial farm) but really that's about it. The Choking plot point is grazed upon but its as if the film is embarrassed to have such a plot point.

As a curio it's worth watching (it's in and out the door in 1h 23m) but it's just nothing special. There's some laughs, some quite serious moments between Victor and his mother, who has dementia, and not a lot else really. As mentioned, Rockwell is very good and he's in pretty much every scene save for the flashbacks.

If you've read the book its interesting to see it on the big screen but for anyone else, they'll probably wonder what the fuss was about.

Totally agree, just seemed like a series of barely connected shorts at times to me. .

The girlfriend loved it though! (Who has read the book)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
But the story itself just doesn't seem to work as a film. It barely held the book together to be honest so filming it - it just seems a series of almost random traits belonging to a group of characters.

Not read the book but I agree with this. It ambles along and goes absolutely nowhere. I can't say I disliked it as it was quite amusing in places and Rockwell is great but I doubt I'll remember too much about the film come this time tomorrow.

I never thought I'd say this but the rape scene is very funny (it's not really a spoiler).