IGNORED

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Roboplegic Wrongcock

What a horrible game, insta-deaths are common, the controls are inconsistent and the stealth is borked. On the last level and really can't be arsed to finish it. The checkpointing is a joke. 6/10 and worst game of the year.

'Insta-deaths'? What?

This is definitely becoming more action heavy as I progress through the game. Whilst it's quite exciting, it's not really a stealth game any more. I guess these days, stealth is a harder sell. Oh well. Hopefully, Thief 4 will fulfill my stealthing needs.

Blimey, this game is awful. Gone is any degree of skill from the previous games to be replaced with 'GO OVER HERE' and 'ESCAPE DOWN HERE' bollocks. I've just done the Third Echelon mission and I just want it finished now. I'm only continuing out of some weird twisted sense of loyalty to the series. Complete crap and definitely the poorest game I've played this year.

How long is left?

Blimey, this game is awful. Gone is any degree of skill from the previous games to be replaced with 'GO OVER HERE' and 'ESCAPE DOWN HERE' bollocks. I've just done the Third Echelon mission and I just want it finished now. I'm only continuing out of some weird twisted sense of loyalty to the series. Complete crap and definitely the poorest game I've played this year.

How long is left?

But Splinter Cell games are always easy, because it is dark and nobody can see you.

I just don't get the hate for this game on the forum, neither do the reviewers average it seems, cause i'm telling you go and try splinter cell 1,2 or even chaos theory to (a much lesser) degree and they have aged something chronic, insta-fail missions, awful controls, dodgy framerate, crap shooting, insanely long loading times, typical clancy faceless european terrorist plot crap. Sam's a great character and this is much more a character piece than any of the old games, much to it's credit. The co-op campaign is excellent as well ,but that has a few insta-fail sections like the good old days and let me tell you they are complete dogshit. If this game played like the old ones i've no doubt everyone would be moaning that they were beating a dead horse and it's time to try something new...which is exactly what they've done. I appreciate the changes will divide opinion , but some of the comments like worst game of the year are totally off the mark.

I just don't get the hate for this game on the forum, neither do the reviewers average it seems, cause i'm telling you go and try splinter cell 1,2 or even chaos theory to (a much lesser) degree and they have aged something chronic, insta-fail missions, awful controls, dodgy framerate, crap shooting, insanely long loading times, typical clancy faceless european terrorist plot crap.

Given I replayed Pandora Tomorrow at Christmas I can disagree with this. Yes, there are far too many loading points, but it's a far better game than this Modern Warfare wannabe pile of crap. The series has been streamlined so much there's hardly any game left. And it's impossible to insult the controls for the old games given the bizzare and nonsensical button layout the new game suffers.

Whereas you don't get all the hate for this game, I personally don't get any on the love for it. Granted, I haven't tried co-op yet, but everything I've played so far seems so half hearted I doubt I'll even bother. If I can complete it tonight it's getting traded tomorrow.

planting the C4 at the start

This is the bit in the parking lot at the beginning? In case you haven't done so, you can hang over the edges of the walls on either side of the parking bays. Puts you in darkness quite comfortably. There are two guys here that you can plug with a bullet with no repercussions. A third you can take down near the rear of the car park, away from the cameras. And so on.

I'm playing this on Realistic, and it seems suprisingly easy so far, considering I'm pretty much an averagely skilled gamer.

This is the bit in the parking lot at the beginning? In case you haven't done so, you can hang over the edges of the walls on either side of the parking bays. Puts you in darkness quite comfortably. There are two guys here that you can plug with a bullet with no repercussions. A third you can take down near the rear of the car park, away from the cameras. And so on.

I'm playing this on Realistic, and it seems suprisingly easy so far, considering I'm pretty much an averagely skilled gamer.

i just tried this and they saw the body

i just tried this and they saw the body

Really? When you first enter,

hang over the wall to your immediate left, before the first car. There'll be a guy standing still doing nothing, below and to the right. Don't kill him yet. Move along the wall to the left. Eventually, you'll see a guy walking towards you. When he stops, shoot him in the head with your silenced pistol. Nobody should find the body. Creep back along the wall to the right, and do a "death from above" move to kill the stationary guy. This'll give you a "mark and execute" to play with now. You should be able to get the third guy down here with a hand to hand as well. That leaves you with three guys which should be easy. Two of them walk along the edges of the parking lot, making for easy kills.

Given I replayed Pandora Tomorrow at Christmas I can disagree with this. Yes, there are far too many loading points, but it's a far better game than this Modern Warfare wannabe pile of crap. The series has been streamlined so much there's hardly any game left. And it's impossible to insult the controls for the old games given the bizzare and nonsensical button layout the new game suffers.

Whereas you don't get all the hate for this game, I personally don't get any on the love for it. Granted, I haven't tried co-op yet, but everything I've played so far seems so half hearted I doubt I'll even bother. If I can complete it tonight it's getting traded tomorrow.

Well given the co-op's widely regarded as the best part of the game, you might as well.

I think the new control method feels really intuitive once you're used to it, it's only mildly baffling the first time you play it. Trying to mark two people stood next to each other was the only really cumbersome aspect for me.

I'm currently replaying Pandora Tomorrow right now and I'm enjoying the nostalgia, but the completely arbitrary insta-fail sections seriously grate thanks to some erratic AI and the gunplay is absolutely catastrophic (as it always was). You can have your crosshair bang on someone's head and still miss, at least in Chaos Theory they had the sense to never force you into gunfights. I do admire the old controls for just how much stuff they enabled you to do, but they do completely fall apart if you ever need to act fast or think on your feet, which happens often in SC:C.

Saying it's a Modern Warfare wannabe is just fucking stupid, though. Just a lazy, meaningless, nonsensical criticism.

Saying it's a Modern Warfare wannabe is just fucking stupid, though.

Why? The story has similarities to MW2

(White House, EMP pulse)

and the Iraq section wouldn't have been there if not for Infinity Wards games.

Anyway, it's done. The last mission was a culmination of everything that was wrong in the game. If dumbing down is what a next gen makeover entails, I dread what could happen to Hitman.

It's stupid because it's not like Ubi Montreal had a finished game, played MW2 six months ago and then decided to scrap everything to emulate it. The game's been in production since before either of the MW games even came out, and Splinter Cell as a series has being doing that EMP pulse shit for years.

Hell, I make it at least the third time an EMP has been used in the series. Each of the last 3 games have featured one, it's a story device that happens to fit the mechanics extremely well. But nah, obviously it's copying Modern Warfare, because that's en vogue now innit?

I think someone else said this earlier, but it's more reminiscent of Rainbow 6 Vegas than MW2. The mark and execute mechanic is pretty much the same, except you're the one doing the final kills, and not your squad buddies. Same kind of strange story as well, the kind that fills me with indifference. With Tom Clancy games, when characters start talking, it seems so dull. It kind of goes in one ear and out the other when I'm playing.

i'm telling you go and try splinter cell 1,2 or even chaos theory to (a much lesser) degree and they have aged something chronic

I disagree with this actually. I replayed every game (except the first) over the past year and I had so much more fun with each of those, than this. I've always thought that Splinter Cell had a very specific rhythm and feel to it unlike anything else, that while pretty hardcore and inaccessible, is glorious once it clicks. Coming off those, this seems charm-less and lacking such a "feel".

insta-fail missions

It's only really the first 2 that have this, Chaos Theory onwards fixed up the prob. Hell, you said yourself, try the co-op campaign in Conviction if you wanna see insta-fail missions. The one with the security guards at the start is PAINFUL.

awful controls

Can't agree with this at all, I love how fluid and intuitive those games handle. I felt the controls in Conviction were pretty awful actually. Constantly pressing X and chucking 'nades when I meant to reload, etc. Terrible choices.

dodgy framerate

Again, if we compare to Conviction? It's not exactly night and day. Considering how long the latter was in development for, it should run a hell of a lot better than it does. Seems to barely hit 25 on most levels. Even on 360 backwards compat, Chaos Theory runs smoother (and looks better in places...).

crap shooting

*shrug* different strokes, I guess. I much prefer lining up a headshot in the old games than the laggy aiming in Conviction.

The co-op campaign is excellent as well

While it's much more of a laugh than the SP, I still think it pails in comparison to Chaos Theory's co-op (and the Xbox 1 version of Double Agent, which was also amazing on the co-op front). Those levels had simply incredibly use of co-op moves, that made them quite literally impossible to complete unless you worked together. In Conviction? Well, my mate just told me how he got all the co-op achievements by playing split-screen with himself. "Just left one of them at the start for most of the missions", he said.

...typical clancy faceless european terrorist plot crap. Sam's a great character and this is much more a character piece than any of the old games, much to it's credit

I guess it's down to opinion, but I actually thought Double Agent's plot was by far the best in the series. Nice mixture of 24-style undercover stuff with Sam doing what he does best. Honestly, I thought they completely fumbled the plot in Conviction. It sounded great going in, having a far more personal, angry, revenge-laden plot. But honestly, once you meet Grim, the entire thing took a humungous nose-dive and lost me entirely. Some of those twists were almost comically awful, IMO, and it totally dumps the personal aspect of the plot too.

I appreciate the changes will divide opinion , but some of the comments like worst game of the year are totally off the mark.

Not the worst game. Definitely the biggest let-down though ;)

I think someone else said this earlier, but it's more reminiscent of Rainbow 6 Vegas than MW2. The mark and execute mechanic is pretty much the same, except you're the one doing the final kills, and not your squad buddies. Same kind of strange story as well, the kind that fills me with indifference. With Tom Clancy games, when characters start talking, it seems so dull. It kind of goes in one ear and out the other when I'm playing.

It's because all the bad characters are an interchangeable mass of Russian/Eastern European/South American names, and all the good characters either work for or keep referring to some Governmental abbreviation you've never heard of. Combine the two and what you're left with is a load of completely impenetrable exposition.

I replayed every game (except the first) over the past year...

It's been ages since I played the others, but is it my imagination or did Fisher -- when crouched and moving -- appear more lithe, and athletic in the older games? Like a panther ready to strike. He seems to just hobble along in Conviction. I know he's older, but still...

I've just picked up the first Splinter Cell again on the cheap for the Xbox (50p from CEX!), and I've just had a quick go of it. It still holds up remarkably well - it looks nice and plays smoothly. It's a little clunky, but I'm looking forward to playing it properly again.

It's been ages since I played the others, but is it my imagination or did Fisher -- when crouched and moving -- appear more lithe, and athletic in the older games? Like a panther ready to strike. He seems to just hobble along in Conviction. I know he's older, but still...

This hasn't gone unnoticed by myself either but it's not unique to Conviction. The 360 version of Double Agent changed Sam's crouched creeping animation from poised ninja to that of a man suffering from stomach cramps.

On another topic, I remember being baffled as to why Ubisoft had abandoned Spies vs Mercs for Conviction but I think they should feel vindicated by that decision now. The game that Conviction is just doesn't feel at all compatible with that mode.

On another topic, I remember being baffled as to why Ubisoft had abandoned Spies vs Mercs for Conviction but I think they should feel vindicated by that decision now. The game that Conviction is just doesn't feel at all compatible with that mode.

I'm not sure I agree with that vindication. The Spies vs Mercs modes in the previous Splinter Cell titles (particularly Double Agent) were quite different from the single player game in terms of mechanics (remote hacking, general mobility, the whole first-person Mercs side of it etc) and that didn't stop their inclusion. I'm not arguing in favour of multiplayer Takedown mechanics, but to remove a multiplayer mode purely because of something you've added in single player seems rash.

Although I'm sorry to see it go as a feature (asymmetric multiplayer ftw), I'm also one of those people who feels that game mode got progressively worse from PT down. Chaos Theory was overstuffed with gadgets and Double Agent seemed somehow not as tactically interesting. And i've spent a dozen hours playing co-op in SC:C now, so really in terms of VFM, it's a win.

Perhaps my memory is playing up but I swear his animations used to be weightier. In this one, especially when he's climbing pipes and hanging upside down or climbing window ledges, it's like he's light as a feather. There's no weight to any of it. Anyone else notice this?

I'm not sure I agree with that vindication. The Spies vs Mercs modes in the previous Splinter Cell titles (particularly Double Agent) were quite different from the single player game in terms of mechanics (remote hacking, general mobility, the whole first-person Mercs side of it etc) and that didn't stop their inclusion. I'm not arguing in favour of multiplayer Takedown mechanics, but to remove a multiplayer mode purely because of something you've added in single player seems rash.

Although I'm sorry to see it go as a feature (asymmetric multiplayer ftw), I'm also one of those people who feels that game mode got progressively worse from PT down. Chaos Theory was overstuffed with gadgets and Double Agent seemed somehow not as tactically interesting. And i've spent a dozen hours playing co-op in SC:C now, so really in terms of VFM, it's a win.

I dunno, they weren't that different at all. I think it's pretty stark that the mechanics found in Spies vs Mercs were a natural extension of the old single player game's mechanics. As a spy, regardless of whatever hacking objective you had, it was all about the traditional Sam Fisher Splinter Cell move set - a move set that has been removed from Conviction in favour of a simple Uncharted style cover system. And regardless of the addition of an adversarial class, the link between SP and MP was obvious and allowed a player to transition from one to the other without saying "This is completely different game".

Furthermore, Ubisoft have been pretty adamant in their decision to re-envision the series. To say they added to the already established single player of old just isn't the case - Conviction is a complete redesign resulting in a very different game. I think coding up an entirely separate multiplayer game (traditional Spies vs Mercs with the old move set) that has nothing in common with their new direction for the single player game wouldn't have been a very smart idea at all, especially considering how much money they'd already pissed up the wall scrapping the original Conviction and restarting it in 2008. It wouldn't show much...convicti....I don't even want to finish that pun because it's terrible.

Personally, I'd like to see them do what DICE done with 1943. Tart up PT/CT multiplayer, package it up and flog it on XBLA. Let Splinter Cell's new direction keep going and satisfy the MP die hards with that. And I definitely agree that PT was the pinnacle of Spies vs Mercs.