IGNORED

Minutes to Midnight

rllmuk

Just got this and on initial listening I must say it's a much improved effort over Hybrid Theory/Meteora etc. I only ever found a few songs on each of those I liked, whereas this has many more hits. Some of the tracks are a bit Eminem though.

'What I've Done' is excellent on first impressions and I can feel the rest growing on me with each listen.

Anyone else impressed or is this direction all wrong?

Just listening to it now..

I thought Hybrid Theory was a decent effort - And Meteora was close copy of it. Both albums are quite "poppy" with obvious singles. Standout tracks were probably Crawling and Numb (which have got a common sound to them)

The remix album they did was patchy but the Crawling remix (krwlng or whatever it was called) was bloody great.

This new album does seem varied - The slower numbers do seem a little bland and the rockier ones have a few swear words thrown in for effect. Not as much bleepy synth bits or scratching as the previous albums though.

Minutes To Midnight seems a little more basic than the previous albums which could have been accused of being overproduced and too glossy.

However, the video to the new single (What I've done) is the most "what have we done to the world" type effort since Michael Jackson's Earth Song. The song is OK but it is a cheesy vid.

I've only skimmed the album so far so I'll give it a proper listen over the next day or two.

Cheers

cubik

Hmm, I really liked Hybrid Theory, and Meteora was okay. Being an electro fan and a rap fan, I also even liked the remix album. Honestly.

So, Linkin Park were someone who I really liked, and would defend when people criticised them as sell-outs or a pop act or whatever. They are, and they're quite a good one!

This new thing doesn't grab me, though. It's not a bad album, it just doesn't seem like a Linkin Park album, at all! Maybe given time it'll be a grower and I'll adapt to the change in style, but certainly on first listen I found it really lagged in the middle and only had a few songs that I would listen to again. Oddly, the track with Mike singing on it (near the end, I forget which one) really perked me up, just for having a bit of a change. I think with these increasingly (ahem) emo songs, it was refreshing to hear a voice a bit different from the standard nasal thing.

I'll listen to it more, don't think it really helps my mood right now which of course may have an effect on how much I like it. I'm not convinced, anyway.

Listened to the album earlier. Not that good IMO, too many slow songs, which just aren't too interesting and don't really go anywhere. Bleed it Out is the only other track except the single which stands out for me.

that said, the track 'qwerty' is almost a return to form. almost.

what

I think I must have an incomplete version... Thought it was a little on the short side.

Though maybe you have the fake version that's been floating around? There's been a 20-track fake torrent out for months, with what I presume is a selection of different bands and their tracks on the album. The tip-off is the fact that What I've Done on that version is completely different song altogether to the single ^_^

Though maybe you have the fake version that's been floating around? There's been a 20-track fake torrent out for months, with what I presume is a selection of different bands and their tracks on the album. The tip-off is the fact that What I've Done on that version is completely different song altogether to the single ^_^

oh yeah, i've heard that one, it's rrrrrrrrrrrrreally nothing like linkin park. this one is the album plus a couple of live 'new' tracks.

Track listing from amazon:

1. Wake

2. Given Up

3. Leave Out All The Rest

4. Bleed It Out

5. Shadow Of The Day

6. What I've Done

7. Hands Held High

8. No More Sorrow

9. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

12. The Little Things Give You Away

It's what I have...

At first i was unsure, but I have enjoyed it upon further listens. Good fun.

Bleed It Out will be huge. It stuck in my head all day first time i heard it, really stood out.

Odd, I should have had an e-mail if this was available.

Oh well, off to hunt I go, will be back tomorrow evening with an opinion that will most likely be YEAH LP RULZ YEAH *punches air*.

But come on, Reanimation was shit. Just checked and Hybrid Theory was 2000, feels like longer than 7 years ago that I was wandering into our local dodgy music shop and finding it on the USA import shelf thinking "hey, I heard about them on a Papa Roach Yahoo group, I'll check it out!"

Thus my secret is out. ^_^

e: Hmm. This needs quite a bit of listening, there are a lot of odd (read: dud) tracks on it so far but a few proper stand outs. The jury is out.

I have to admit it's growing on me a little bit. Still way too many slow songs though, what's all that about?

clearly trying really hard to break away from their roots, but I think the new stuff isn't really interesting enough. i'll be interested in the reception of the album when its released. I reckon it'll be massive in the pop charts, but rock fans will mostly find it a bit naff

I've only listened to the first half of the album on the way home in the car, but I was certainly pretty surprised by what I heard. I thought the first track was a little... off-putting, what with the death metal type thing going on and all. After that I was even more shocked by the departure from their usual stuff. But six tracks in and I realised that I was really, really enjoying listening to it. And that's probably the most important thing. It's definitely a good album, albeit one that will take a bit of getting used to.

EDIT - Oh look a short Linkin Park album how unusual.

Downloaded 'Given Up' after hearing it on MySpace, must admit I chuckled to myself at first as the intro sounds like someone, wearing jewellery, frantically fapping away ( yes, I'm juvenile ).

Crunchy and catchy though, love it.

Comments in this thread have me concerned, though, what's the ratio of slow/fast on the album? I can live with a few slow ones but not a majority.

Comments in this thread have me concerned, though, what's the ratio of slow/fast on the album? I can live with a few slow ones but not a majority.

Admitedly I haven't given the rest a chance yet but it's basically No More Sorrow/Given Up/Bleed It Out/What I've Done and then the rest is shit. Which is about half the album. :lol:

y'know i've listened to this a lot today and i'm warming to it. it's nowhere near as instant as the previous albums but it's pretty good all in all. it just lacks the balls of the others.

My girlfriend likes it, had it on again tonight while I was working. Better the second time but still a huge dissappointment. In some ways though if they did do another "hybrid theory" again, the fans would have totally lost interest