rllmuk

Final Fantasy Dissidia announced

I've played through 2 scenarios (Cloud & Tidus) as well as a number of quick matches with random setups.

Its almost like a controllable cutscene at times, with both characters dodging & weaving all over the screen as they both seek an opening so their moves can connect. The shear number of variables to tweak & consider has me feeling a little snowed under too, barely a match goes by without something being unlocked or levelling up.

There are still a number of things I don't quite get (blocking/countering, Battlegen, Summons & how to chain moves together) but I like it enough to perservere & hopefully learn.

Exactly how I'm feeling, its like a more intense version of fighting game x, but in the air, and with a ton of menus, and a pseudo chess board. Never having been a FFFB, it still really appeals, and seems to be nicely deep. I read that you can actually play it as an rtsfg, real time strategy fighting game, if that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm told that it gets better, but by christ: the story, dialog and voice acting in this are dogshit sandwich.

Why do you fight?

I know why I fight.

You do not know why you fight.

I fight for my friends.

Do you really?

OVER AND OVER FOREVER

<_< Yes!

This. x 10000.

I'm told that it gets better, but by christ: the story, dialog and voice acting in this are dogshit sandwich.

Why do you fight?

I know why I fight.

You do not know why you fight.

I fight for my friends.

Do you really?

OVER AND OVER FOREVER

True to the source material then, eh?

True to the source material then, eh?

I dunno, man. Let's say Terra in FF6; it was always supposed to be her thing that she wanted to find herself or something, but at least in the source game she'd shut up for a second about wanting to find herself or something.

It's also pleasingly absurd that that the game wants to suggest that the characters are somehow having all these excellent adventures in and around a series of floating fighting arenas. The closest frame of reference I have is that square-enix wanted to recreate the feeling of two groups of schoolchildren having a series of minor scuffles in a playground.

It's also good to know that everyone in final fantasy can fly. although this begs the question of why we spent so long in all of those games ascending towers and castles using staircases and regular old walking.

I wish you could set it so it just skips cutscenes automatically. They have got to be the biggest pile of wank I've heard had to witness in my life.

I believe you can.

And, yes, the cut scenes are fucking appalling. Almost makes me long for the days of playing the Japanese version, where they went unnoticed (and, for the most part, unexplored).

Also give me back my super-Tidus, you fucks.

Are there supposed to be combo's in this? Most of my matches devolve into firing of moves at each other until one or the other connects, but when it does i find I can't seem to press my advantage & it just goes back to picking away at each other until one of us messes up again.

Am i just too early in the game (Lv20) or am I playing it wrong? :)

Tends to depend on which character you're playing as. Most characters have BP attacks that link into HP - Cloud's "Slashing Blow" (I think it's called) links into "Omnislash Ver. 5", for example but the original attack needs to have been mastered before it's revealed.

Characters like Squall don't and Cecil has two but they aren't stated as such and the moves don't need to have been mastered first.

Tidus' standard running speed has been lowered and two of his BP to HP links have been taken out (air and ground "Slice and Dice"), turned into a standard HP attack ("Charge and Assault") which is just a shit Braver. The difference isn't much, Zidane has had BP to HP links removed and is still high tier but these were Tidus' only ones which were offensively-minded. Now he's just an easily predicted bitch.

Sigh.

It was probably me just being a bit thick about it but I think i've grasped how Battlegen works now. I had a lot of fun choosing items I wanted & then going after them just so they can make me that bit more awesome.

Getting around the arenas has also become infinitely easy once i realised that you can tap quickmove at the edge of floating platforms (when the indicator is displayed) to do massive jumps across gaps rather than pressing R+X over & over. :)

I'm playing this in between bouts of Monster Hunter and it's pretty good so far. It's one of those games where you get a bit of a tutorial and some useful tips/information screens during loading, and you think "sure, that all makes sense, I'm good to go". But then you get thrown in to some proper levels and it's just bloody chaos. No idea what you're doing, mashing buttons wildly to make "things" happen. Then the game starts to layer on the depth of character and equipment customisation, battle rewards/conditions etc. and your brain starts to melt. At least it does when you're an old fart like me.

But after a few levels it starts to click and you are making decisions about what to do in battle and it actually happens the way you intended. It's really rather good. So far the characters, "story", and cutscene text all make me want to cry, but I'm rapid-fire mashing X to get through all that rubbish. I even opened the manual yesterday, which is surprisingly well written and full of useful information.

• 1 month later...

Despite being ridiculously confusing, this is rather good fun. There's still lots I don't understand, like how 'breaks' work (when they happen and why) but I've found enough usable moves to have some great fights. I've been through four character scenarios so far, Tidus, Cloud, Squall and Zidane, and I've picked up enough new moves from each to stop it from becoming repetitive. I like that there's a levelling system, as it makes you change the way you approach stronger enemies. I've had some epic fights that I've only won by the skin of my teeth. They look cool and they work, which is quite impressive. It's the most enjoyable fighting game I've played in quite a while.

I must concur that the cut scenes are utterly awful. Also, what's up with Squall's voice? He sounds about forty. And constipated.

I normally like the way Square-Enix does stories but I find myself skipping all of Dissidia's cutscenes after watching them once as they're full of people pausing before coming out with some comment that's supposed to be profound or something.

You could argue that that's what Final Fantasy stories are, but either my tolerance for them has suddenly dried up or this is just a very bad implementation. I hope it's the latter.

Question (one of many, I'm sure; there's still loads to this game that I don't understand):

The list of items and accessories at the start of each fight, these are the enemy's equipment. What is the relevance of showing you these and letting you select one (other than seeing what they've got, to adjust your strategy)? I sort of understand how battlegen works, when you can 'make' an item during the fight, with the percentage shown indicating the likelihood of it happening, but does selecting the enemy's equipment instead make you steal their equipment if you win? There's no percentage next to those and I don't believe I have ever won anything I've selected (I may have done, I'd have to check).

I must admit that even having played the tutorial and putting a number of hours in to the game, I still find it confusing.

For a handheld title it really has very good depth of play without being unnecessarily complicated. What I mean by this is that the principles (I suppose you could call them gameplay mechanics, but I don't like that term) are simple and understandable. However, when layered together in a realtime fighting game it all becomes a bit much for my aged, rusty, brain to manage.

The main problem I have is that I can go a couple of weeks without picking it up, due to all the other amazing games out right now, so I feel like I'm starting from scratch each time. If I had more time to put in to it and didn't have other distractions, then it would all gel really well. Maybe I need to take this away on a long trip or holiday....

• 1 month later...

I somehow managed to miss the fact that you can choose to play this game "command style", which means you don't control your character, but choose which actions they should perform next from a list, and they automatically do the rest. It says it's for people who aren't good at action games, and predictably enough, it feels a bit wrong.

That's pretty mad, though. I'm struggling to think of a feature they haven't crammed into this game...

It's good* to see Squeenix have followed in the Capcom tradition of having bastard hard cheating final bosses in their fighting games. Bloody Chaos, he's BRUTAL! Anyone got any tips to beat him? His ultimate lock-on can't-escape HP damage super combo is seemingly impossible to avoid.

*bad

It's good* to see Squeenix have followed in the Capcom tradition of having bastard hard cheating final bosses in their fighting games. Bloody Chaos, he's BRUTAL! Anyone got any tips to beat him? His ultimate lock-on can't-escape HP damage super combo is seemingly impossible to avoid.

*bad

Yeah, it's insane that the boss is that cheap. You fight him in a level which has 1/16 the space of every other level in the game, Chaos does massive damage if he hits and he has to be beaten 3 times.

To beat him, you'll need your limit bar to be full going into the battle and the Magic Pot summon (go back and replay Cloud's section to pick up the manual one) if the auto version goes off too early for your liking. It'll copy Chaos' BRV points so if the Magic pot triggers at 9999, that's one round done. Same goes for using the Limit break. If you can win the 1st round through dodging and learning his attack pattern, the following 2 aren't that difficult.

Which playable character are you using and what level are they at? Some movesets probably work better than others.

The Level 100 Chaos at the end of Inward Chaos got me to stop playing this game but then again I was using Cloud against him.

OK, Magic Pot keeps 'missing' him. This is ridiculous; I'm eight levels higher than Chaos now and he's still murdering me. I can't even beat his second form yet, which is a more aggressive version of his first, so I dread to think what his third form is like!

I think I have to save my EX burst for when I'm locked in one of his combos, as it's the only way to get out of them. I can dodge a lot of his attacks, but when he starts swinging his massive arms around that reach across half the arena, I can't dodge out of the way far enough. Or I'll avoid one swipe and get hit by another.

OK, Magic Pot keeps 'missing' him.

Ah, I see why. It doesn't work if you're still in 'break' status.

I beat his second form, and then his third slaughtered me even harder. This is completely ridiculous, an insane difficulty spike. I'm tempted to leave it and level up a few more times but I'm not sure I can be bothered. I don't like that so much of the game relies on luck. If I could work out how to avoid all his attacks, it wouldn't be so bad, but as far as I can tell, at least two of them are impossible to dodge or block without using up my EX burst, which means using it before I'm ready to use it, and wasting the attack (unless I get a 'break' during the attack, which isn't guaranteed).

Argh, this has gone from excellent to annoying. :angry:

Argh, this has gone from excellent to annoying. :angry:

It really is a top contender for worst boss fight of all time. If you're having trouble dodging the attack where he surrounds you those swords, stop moving at that point and dodge right. The fire swords should miss. He uses it in mid air as well.

There's also the giant light beam attack he uses. To dodge that, Equip the 'Dash Away' and 'Double Jump' (The exact names I forget) commands to your character then as soon as the fight begins, jump up and use the dash away command to get to the top of the area, Chaos will then come up to meet you so you can get some hits that way.

I'm tempted to leave it and level up a few more times but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

This is what I did in the end. Actually, levelling up doesn't take too long if you fight against equal level foes, and the battles are usually more fun.

I was 18 levels higher than Chaos in the end! Oddly satisfying, having his attacks barely do anything, and my bravery levels shoot right up. He still battered me a little bit before he fell - his third form is ferocious!

The ending FMV finshes with

the Warrior Of Light looking over the lake to the castle, as per the intro on the NES original

. I thought that was a nice touch, given that he

couldn't remember where he came from - he didn't exist yet!

That's probably the only decent thing about the 'story'. Not that it makes sense or anything...