IGNORED

Prince

Graham S

Some good fan based articles, including do's and dont's on his legacy and recordings (certainly echo that no advertising or samples and cover versions should be authorised EVER, otherwise fucking Will.I.Am will be "reinventing a classic"), although his views on "remastering" are way off...

https://medium.com/@craig_walmsley/prince-the-vault-the-10-things-that-should-and-shouldnt-happen-ad96cc58999f#.lgy5bs2ca

An interview with the maker of an aborted 1982 Contoversy Tour Film thing...

http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/features/articles/prince-second-coming-ill-fated-film/

Interview with Susan Rogers about SOTT album..

http://daddyrockstar.tumblr.com/post/43885486088/susan-rogers-on-princes-sign-o-the-times-part

• 2 weeks later...

It just came to my attention that there has been a first posthumous release, nothing spectacular mind, it's a typical greatest hits recording entitled "4ever". Mostly shorter edits of the songs, similar to the 1993 Hits collection.

What's notable is that it includes the first official release of Moonbeam Levels. That was always one of the easier boots to find in good quality, but I've never heard it this good before.

There seem to be new mixes of the tracks too, they all sound super fresh, even the tracks that had kind of weak mixes sound a lot fuller - however, one massive drawback is that the tracks are censored. A bit of backmasking I don't mind so much as you can unedit it yourself with software, but other tracks have repeated sections replacing naughty words in their entirety (one I remember from "My Name is Prince" was in the rap; Tony originally said "jumped on my dee eye see kay", now he says "jumped on my jumped on my").

That's extremely annoying, especially as you can't splice the original lyrics in from elsewhere because of the new mixes. No denying that censored expletives are what Prince would have done himself, so at least they are being respectful - but I can't help but feel they are respecting the man and not the music in this case.

On 08/05/2016 at 08:51, ZOK said:

Meh, if they start reissuing the 12"s on vinyl I'll be interested. I lost loads during my DJing days and there are a few I'd love to get again.

Looks like some 12"s are being re-issued? As usual, bugger all info! 

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/prince-lets-pretend-were-married-reissue/632148-01/

45 minutes ago, Darwock said:

There seem to be new mixes of the tracks too, they all sound super fresh, even the tracks that had kind of weak mixes sound a lot fuller 

Do you mean they have been boosted in volume and brickwalled to fuck?

• 2 months later...

Prince returns to online streaming services, starting on Feb 12th 

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/01/princes-catalog-to-hit-all-streaming-services-on-february-12th/

Also...

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/11/new-prince-documentary-in-the-works-for-2017-featuring-mick-jagger-bono/

"Colleagues like Mick Jagger, Bono, Billy Idol, and Lenny Kravitz are also expected to appear in the film, as are Prince’s protege/former fiancée Sheila E. and past band members Dez Dickerson and André Cymone."

I really couldn't give a fuck what Jagger, Bonio, Billy Idol or Kravitz have to say. Sounds shit already

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The above track is taken from the Purple Rain Special Edition which comes out in June

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/prince-purple-rain-reissue-full-details-including-four-disc-expanded-edition/#more-131283

Frankly the whole thing has been a bit of a fuck up. Warners originally announced "2 albums worth of unreleased material", which is now just 1, and "2 full concert films" to just 1. 

The future of Prince releases looks botched. Great start.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Purple Rain Expanded edition then - entirely worth it for disc 2. I actually welled up a bit on the train listening to some of it, I can't believe these tracks were kept locked up. Even the original of We Can Funk (which is an alright/mediocre track on Graffiti Bridge and so I didn't expect much of it) adds a section that completely transforms it from something crude and arguably embarrassing into a thing of beauty.

Disc 3 has the single track that guaranteed my purchase, the full version of Another Lonely Christmas. But it's otherwise mostly filled with single edits and duplicate versions that are either already available elsewhere or even on the same disc. Total waste of play time, I'm not sure what the thinking was except to keep more back for milking the fans again in the future?

Nevertheless, a must have release. I have watched some of the DVD and it's an excellent show (but very much shows it was recorded in 1985). Any word on future expanded editions for other albums?

Totally agree about disc 2, I can't get enough of Fathers song and Dance electric.  Similarly underwhelmed by disc 3.

DVD has great content, but was such a rubbish transfer I can't see that seeing the light of day again soon.  There's been so much great footage leaked onto YouTube these days that I hope there's more effort put into the visual side of things in future.

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I have watched some of the DVD and it's an excellent show (but very much shows it was recorded in 1985). Any word on future expanded editions for other albums?

It was bad in 1985 (the quality) - there are much better full shows around from that time in better quality, but this one seems to stick. 

Nothing on the cards yet for other expanded ones. The truth behind this PR release is that Warners never had access to the Vaults, so I think must of the stuff on this Disc 2 are in fact past submissions by Prince to Warners, but later shelved. Certainly Electric Intercourse was going to be on the original album, but replaced late-on by The Beautiful Ones. 

Most of Prince's work will languish in rights hell for decades. The Vaults alone don't seem to have a buyer right now. They did, Universal put a bid in and won it, but later retracted it because it was only material that was from 1996 (or something) onwards, anything before that he was under contract to Warners.

• 9 months later...

Much prefer that version to the one with Rosie Gaines, I've got to say.

There's been a load of stuff released by the police about the death investigation (like 15gb worth of downloads) including some pictures from his vault. Disappointed that it looks like an actual storeroom rather than being tiled with gold and having shelves crafted from tortoiseshell or something.

There's also an interview with Sinead O'Connor about him being violent, drug dependent and apparently also a satanist with the power to move objects by force of will. I mean, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if there are some slivers of truth in some of that but she doesn't exactly come across as the most reliable source.

• 1 month later...

Piano & A Microphone 1983 out in September

17 Days

Purple Rain

A Case Of You

Mary Don’t You Weep

Strange Relationship

International Lover

Wednesday

Cold Coffee & Cocaine

Why The Butterflies

• 3 months later...
On 08/06/2018 at 11:07, wullie said:

Piano & A Microphone 1983 out in September

17 Days

Purple Rain

A Case Of You

Mary Don’t You Weep

Strange Relationship

International Lover

Wednesday

Cold Coffee & Cocaine

Why The Butterflies

17 days on this is absolutely mind blowing. Can’t stop listening to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone listening to Originals?

Just put it on, Sex Shooter and Jungle Love are a very good opening duo.

Next up is Manic Monday.

It's lovely to hear old Prince stuff. Ordered the CD release from Amazon already too.

Sex Shooter is amazing, it’s now a gay anthem.

Interestingly I never picked up before that the underscoring on that track is essentially Erotic City, comes across very clear in that version.

So here are my notes on this ‘new’ Prince album, I signed up for a free Tidal trial so I could give it a listen.

TLDR: It’s essential, buy it! I hope this sells well, as I can only imagine how many of these originals are stored in the Vault, and they all need to be heard.

Sex Shooter: As I said above, flipping the vocal gender on this makes the track utterly delicious, before you even get to Prince’s great performance. Just wonderful.

Jungle Love: Not quite as good as The Time, but it’s got an effervescence all of its own, and it’s Prince doing Jungle Love. Oh my!

Manic Monday: A pale foreshadow of the Bangles interpretation, it’s a great track and while Prince certainly doesn’t spoil it, he doesn’t bring anything essential to it either.

Noon Rendezvous: It’s always been a great tune, but the sort of Princey thing you either love or hate. I love it, but I love Sheila E doing it more.

Make-Up: Amazing gender-switch trash. Basically I want to hear Prince doing every Vanity 6 / Apollonia 6 track ever, this couldn’t be any more up my street if it tried.

100MPH: I never had much time for Maserati, this is OK but still not really for me - at least compared with other tracks on here. It's Prince treading Princewater.

You’re My Love: i’ve never heard this before, apparently Prince gave it to Kenny Rogers? It is just fabulous. One of the best tracks on the album.

Holly Rock: Utterly infectious. Utterly wonderful. It is what it always was, Prince pretending to be Sheila E.

Baby You’re A Trip: This is lovely, very different to the Jill Jones joint, has a kind of a Stax showcase feel to it, smashing keys on this, and Prince just rips it up in the way you’d expect him to rip it up, sings every note in the shop and then orders some more.

The Glamorous Life: Not sure how I feel about this, as the original I regard as sacrosanct. it’s (barring a couple of notes and backing vocals) exactly as Sheila E’s crew did it (same musicians?) and with Prince being pedestrian Prince on the vocals I think it loses a lot. Just makes you wish you were listening to Sheila E really. But then i feel that way about most music! The backing keyboard stabs are worth hearing though.

Gigolos Get Lonely Too: Holy shit. What was a fairly average Morris Day vocal performance is elevated beyond all expectation by Prince’s more relaxed take. Spot on.

Love…Thy Will Be Done: Was better with Martika.

Dear Michelangelo: Arguably the highlight of Romance 1600 - which is, as everyone knows, the greatest album ever made. Not entirely pointless, but once again it just makes you wish you were listening to Sheila E instead. If you’ve never heard that version, you’ll probably like this a lot.

Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me? A rocktastic interpretation of the Taja Sevelle classic, which loses the majority of its spritzy 80s fizz as a result. Not bad at all, just a bit plodding by comparison, and not really for me if given a choice between the two. Gets catchy towards the end, but fades out just when the interesting stuff starts happening.

Nothing Compares 2 U: The Family did the only version of this worth listening to.

Many thanks to @Adrock for bringing this to my attention!