Edge 176 Scores and that

Nate Dogg III

Y'know, I have to admit. Whilst I thought the graphics were amazing on Nodes, I really didn't enjoy those cavern romps games - I found Underwurld absolutely impossible to play as well.

To this day, I have absolutely no idea how people managed to play it. Lunar Jetman was another that I couldn't survive for more than 10 seconds on. I never got to find that damned trailer.

The problem with Nodes (and Arc) is how difficult it is to simply get down a crater.

ICUPS.

Are they reviewing XBLA titles alongside the normal reviews? If so - about time. Pity they started with a dud. Maybe EA paid them to cover it.

I'd assume Boom Boom Rocket's being reviewed, as it's the one XBLA game that is/was shaping up to be the next Geometry Wars and Edge probably wanted to get their say on that particular title. I doubt we'll see others being reviewed. Unless they're also rather high profile.

Are they reviewing XBLA titles alongside the normal reviews? If so - about time. Pity they started with a dud. Maybe EA paid them to cover it.

Shame EA forgot to buy a good score as well eh?

I'd assume Boom Boom Rocket's being reviewed, as it's the one XBLA game that is/was shaping up to be the next Geometry Wars and Edge probably wanted to get their say on that particular title. I doubt we'll see others being reviewed. Unless they're also rather high profile.

I can't see any reason for them not to review (original) XBLA games - save that fact that every single one of them has a playable demo - so I hope to see more of this in future.

A 6 for From the New World eh. Can anyone remember what they gave to covenant?

They didn't review it.

Every time a new edge comes out I'm always the first to ask what the cover looks like. I think thats the main reason I usually keep buying the magazine.

Here is a question, are edge becoming more and more moody...or are games getting more and more shit?

The final sentence of the Ouendan 2 preview suns up my feelings about the series entirely; they could just keep releasing sequels with new songs, building a franchise on the scale of DDR or something, and us saps would keep buying into it no matter how identical the latest instalment is to its predecessors in terms of mechanics.

That's not to say I won't be one of those saps. :rolleyes:

What are the features this month?

Depth Charged - A look at Hydrophobia

Bourne Again - About the new 360/PC only Splinter Cell

Seismic Matters - Lucas Art's Fracture game

Gone In 60 seconds - About games holding your attention

Fog of War - Free Radical's Haze

Depth Charged - A look at Hydrophobia

Bourne Again - About the new 360/PC only Splinter Cell

Seismic Matters - Lucas Art's Fracture game

Gone In 60 seconds - About games holding your attention

Fog of War - Free Radical's Haze

Thanks. Though it would've been better if someone had replied before I received my subs copy. (Not a snipe against Mr Do)

Every time a new edge comes out I'm always the first to ask what the cover looks like. I think thats the main reason I usually keep buying the magazine.

Here is a question, are edge becoming more and more moody...or are games getting more and more shit?

Pretty grim, generic muscly videogame marine shooting his big gun. Sellotape a pack of Opal Fruits to it and you'd think it was one of the gazillion single format mags that clutter the shelves.

Strange. I thought the issue was quite enjoyable - so good I actually bought it, something I haven't done in almost a year. The feature on the first few minutes of a game looks a bit dull. However, I enjoyed the review section and thought the various retro sections were suprisingly well done. The layout also seems to have been subtly tweaked in the last few months and looks much better.

The features were relatively interesting. All "this is what we can now do, that we couldn't consider doing two years ago".

Some of it still sounds like hype - but Fracture, Haze, Hydrophobia and Splinter Cell 27 all managed to sound interesting.

Which is a massive improvement on the last few issues.

As for BBR - Angel still doesn't know what he's talking about.

Edge is like Playboy - you only read it for the features. Just tear out the reviews section and enjoy the rest.

For all the talk about the web being able to scoop print, I hear about a lot of games first through Edge. Admittedly it's usually stuff like Obscure 2, but still... I'm sure it's been reported online, but who wants to paddle in the cesspit of IGN?

It's nice to read a competently written preview that doesn't feel the need to list even the most obvious features of the game.

I quite liked the Fracture cover - while the character is generic, the setting isn't, and the amount of detail crammed into the image looks nice:

edge_cover_176.jpg