IGNORED

Software and "teacher student" versions

BubbleFish

I was looking to by the latest Coreldraw suite (X3) and Corel Painter. Now I only use this for home use and never for commercial gain.

So my legal and moral question is, should I buy the student versions of both products? Both seem to be full versions and a fraction of the cost of the retail version. All I can find regarding eligability is full or part time student, teacher or working for educational body and will not pass on goods or make commercial gain. Basically then the local school janitor can buy it for the reduced price!

Does anyone else use these versions? When you register does it ask you for proof? Am I really doing anything wrong? I certainly can't afford to pay over £300 for software I'll play around with but I'll gladly pay £100. Is this any better or worse than me using the pirated versions that I know I can get? I actually like the fact that for once Microsoft seem to be doing a good thing and releasing their software as "Student and home use"

Seriously, I'm interested to know what you guys think. Even more interested if someone can confirm they have both versiosn and that they can be installed without "verification" :)

I don't know about Corel, but with Adobe they require you to fax/email a scan of proof you're of your eligibility, although I must say it would be fairly easy to fake with them :angry: (pretty sure they didn't check with my uni, as it went to their American site and I emailed the letter and receivde the approval outside of UK office hours)

I was looking to by the latest Coreldraw suite (X3) and Corel Painter. Now I only use this for home use and never for commercial gain.

So my legal and moral question is, should I buy the student versions of both products? Both seem to be full versions and a fraction of the cost of the retail version. All I can find regarding eligability is full or part time student, teacher or working for educational body and will not pass on goods or make commercial gain. Basically then the local school janitor can buy it for the reduced price!

Does anyone else use these versions? When you register does it ask you for proof? Am I really doing anything wrong? I certainly can't afford to pay over £300 for software I'll play around with but I'll gladly pay £100. Is this any better or worse than me using the pirated versions that I know I can get? I actually like the fact that for once Microsoft seem to be doing a good thing and releasing their software as "Student and home use"

Seriously, I'm interested to know what you guys think. Even more interested if someone can confirm they have both versiosn and that they can be installed without "verification" :angry:

The fact you can't sell what you make in them (which is mostly why they are cheaper - they expect you to buy the proper version sooner or later) means they aren't particularly inclined to check up on things much. The rule is there for an obvious reason, but if you're just pissing around with it then it is all the same for them.

My mind is a bit vague, but I'm sure I remember a company being taken to court for using student versions a bit ago...might just be something I heard while at uni though.

They really ought to be sold as non-commercial versions, at least in my opinion.