Microsoft bans modified 360s from Live

mr_rmg

Wooo, I am now the proud owner of two xbox360s.. One for teh 'backups' and one for the two or three games I ever play on live. Thank you Boots, £145 plus £14 on the advantage card for my future wife (who is going to slap me in the morning) :ph34r:

Yeah, I suppose it is a bit shit having to pay £145 for new games but I'd wager most users have easily spent more than that on software by now, so fuck it. Que sera, sera!

I have been banned from live twice now, on the same account FFS! I have got Major nelson as my parole officer.

I'll agree that the xbox was worth modding but not the 360. LIVE is just too integral to the experience now and MS will never stop tracking down and banning people in order to maintain the LIVE experience.

I agree, the 360 is half the fun without LIVE - but I can tell you now maintaining 'the LIVE experience' is not the reason why they banned so many 360s, regardless of whatever excuse they're using to lay down the law on modders.

From MS:

One of the great things about LIVE and the unified community is that we work hard to create a level playing field for all gamers and have a no tolerance policy towards inappropriate behavior like hacking or cheating. As part of our commitment to our members, we do not allow people that we have detected to have modified their console to connect to LIVE. This is an important part of our efforts to try and maintain a fair gaming environment for the large majority of gamers that play by the rules.

Yeah, sure - just like the first time round all over again then. Hacking and cheating? Whhhat?

The only difference for modded firmware owners is that they can play backups - it's not like we're gonna be cheating by booting Halo 3 with a trainer with Super Jump and Infinite Ammo from the hard drive anytime soon. It's pretty much impossible to run any kind of homebrew as the 360's security is so tight.

If you look out how many angry users there are on MajorNelson, the majority of these are pirates and pissed that their £280 games console is now crippled because they like stealing games. So what they gonna do? Go out and buy another 360! And look! In time for the Halo 3 beta, that *requires* LIVE! Coincidence|? NO WAY! :ph34r:

Way to boost lagging sales, finally the shitty Core pack has a purpose. Oh, and the pirates always have the last laugh - £145 is what, price of roughly 3 new games? They'll just download 3 more instead.

Note: What's hilarious is my poor Norwegian buddy who flashed his 360 a couple of months back and had it die on him with the 'ring of death' two weeks later, sans warranty. So he went out and bought another 360 about a week ago (poor, poor timing!) and flashed it - bet he's going to be delighted to hear the news!

Microsoft in wanting to to stop software theft shocker.

Yeah, that's what it boils down to. Why not say that though?

What's the bet this week we'll see "M$ reporting massive boost in Core Pack sales"?

So that makes it perfectly alright to pirate games? I see your point but 99% of people who download games have no intention of buying that game.

Don't be so sure. I'm more than happy to give Epic my money because Gears is such an incredible game on Live, I play it all the time. Having said that, I rented Rainbow 6 and started getting through the single player missions, didn't really click with it - and didn't enjoy the online component as much either. Why would I waste £40 and hope it gets better?

Only difference yarring it is that you saved a fiver on renting it from Blockbuster. I've got original games that I've played through once and never touched again...

Is it hell. If you yarr something and like it there's very little chance your going to go out and buy it. Why would you? You already have it. If you were that moral you'd have spent the fiver renting it.

Easy test - everyone that yarr's games, how many have you bought after yarring and for what reason? I'm more than happy to be proved wrong and everyone say they bought a game at retail after yarring it, but the chances of that happening are slim.

If you were that moral you'd have spent the fiver renting it.

This.

Companies spend insane amounts of money producing these games, and obviously need a return to keep the process going. If their marketing campaign has been successful enough to get you interested in the product, at least have the decency to test the game in a way that doesn't completely screw them over.

Your attitude is appropriate for tipping a waiter in a restaurant, not buying a packaged product.

If you were that moral you'd have spent the fiver renting it.
Don't be so sure. I'm more than happy to give Epic my money because Gears is such an incredible game on Live, I play it all the time. Having said that, I rented Rainbow 6 and started getting through the single player missions, didn't really click with it - and didn't enjoy the online component as much either. Why would I waste £40 and hope it gets better?

But I did, Moose.

Right, we get the message, you like to copy games. There's no need to dream up a justification.

Do people even read posts before hitting reply?

I'd rather support the game developers like yourself, JP - than waste my time downloading a 7GB ISO of a game that I could have rented and realised was shit. Problem is, a lot of the time I'll buy a game, love it for a few weeks then never play it again, so nowadays I reserve my cash for games I'm likely to get a lot of replayability out of - mainly online.

Like GRAW - rented it, played it, enjoyed it, bought it, then made a backup to keep my original intact.

What's the problem exactly?

What's the bet this week we'll see "M$ reporting massive boost in Core Pack sales"?

Im not sure where this notion is coming from that everybody who got banned is going to run out and buy a Core.

Most people who modified their 360 will value "free" games over Live play. Because you can no longer play copies on Live without getting banned they would still have to buy the retail games alongside a core.

£200 is a lot of money to spend just to play a game online.

my 360 has not done the spring update or downloaded halo 3. should i be ok for a while¬?

Itss not confirmed but most people seem to think that the data has been collected for a while.

And not having done the Spring update is a bit of a moot point as you cannot play on Live without it.

You could wait to see if a new undetectable fw is released and then update but that could be ages away, if ever.

my 360 has not done the spring update or downloaded halo 3. should i be ok for a while¬?

Do they let you access live without the latest updates?

I cant believe people are trying to justify their decision to pirate with all these shitty excuses. I did it on xbox, I just held my hands up and admitted that I didnt want to pay for games as I could easily get them for free. Now I just cant be bothered with all the nonsense that goes with it and as such enjoy my games more as I appreciate them having forked out the cash.

It definitely hurts the industry, but on the other hand Im not gonna get all sanctimonious and berate people for doing it. Just dont try and paint it with all this rubbish that you do it for the greater good. I can count the number of games that I have bought on one hand that have been rubbish as I know my tastes and also read forum opinions (dont trust magazines anymore).

Why do I get the feeling that all these banned people who "haven't modded" are lying. People said that about the first Xbox too :ph34r:
99% of the people who say they have unmodded boxes that were banned are very likely lying...It's kinda funny actually because if you google some of the gamer tags of people who are complaining, some of them have all sorts of posts in the modding forums on x-s.com, and others have games in their "recently played" list that haven't shipped yet.

:D