IGNORED

Microsoft bans modified 360s from Live

mr_rmg

It took them 12 months from the release of the original hack, when it should have been done within weeks. . Until 2 weeks ago few people saw any risk, because Microsoft didn't seem to be doing anything about it. In addition, several of us on this forum was wondering if Microsoft had the balls to cut their potential Live revenue stream by a noticable amount.

So while we didn't rule it out, it didn't seem as likely as it did under the old system. It will be interesting to find out how far back the checks go. If it is media related, machines not used online for a period might be safe providing they update to a newer firmware before connecting to live.

Lets be honest here, its plain funny how they waited this long. I'm sure they could have banned them the day the firmware came out. But this way plenty bought 360s purely as it had been hacked and plenty will buy a new one to continue gaming online.

I salute MS, at least they get a giggle and some sales out of it.

(and i was caught with the Halo2 banning of chipped xboxes, i bought another xbox much the same as people will buy 360s)

I think it was obviously done to improve Halo 3 sales.

I also think they may have waited so that the inevitable lots-of-pirates-go-and-buy-2nd-360s thing didn't cost them very much if anything.

Hardly surprising. I don't really see why people get pissed off about this though, everybody knew that modding an Xbox (360) would eventually get your ass kicked off Live. You can't really blame Microsoft for trying to keep Live clean and their software secure?

Their actions are suitable, but the timing is very cynical.

"When we say that Halo 3 will sell more 360s, we ruddy well mean it!"

I think it was obviously done to improve Halo 3 sales.

I also think they may have waited so that the inevitable lots-of-pirates-go-and-buy-2nd-360s thing didn't cost them very much if anything.

eh? If that was the case they would of done it the weekend before the official launch date.

I do think it has been strategic, but only terms of the fact that everyone would update their firmware, which obviously included the detection software, so they could play the halo 3 beta. After all, pirates cant resist free stuff, can they?

Didn't pay for San Andreas as I didn't support Rockstar's direction.

Good to hear that classic demonstration of your hypocrisy.

If you didn't support the "game's direction", why did you pirate it? It's not like it was a massive surprise - GTA3, only bigger...

Good to hear that classic demonstration of your hypocrisy.

If you didn't support the "game's direction", why did you pirate it? It's not like it was a massive surprise - GTA3, only bigger...

And with heaps of faux 'attitude' and no sense of humour at all.

You go ahead and steal one, everyone else will be making a copy of one that already exists.

If I get one without paying, be it by stealing one or by cloning one, Ferrari still isn't getting the money. If someone invented a method of copying Ferraris then Ferrari would be fucked.

The only way the computer games industry can continue to exist is if there are enough people willing to buy rather than pirate the product. You can make amusing comments about how copying isn't really stealing all you like, just remember that it has little effect on the final outcome: you're playing a game you've not paid for. If you want the game enough to pirate it you should be paying for it.

If you want the game enough to pirate it you should be paying for it.

Why? As soon as you flash your firmware it is up to personal preference! I Have no guilt about piracy what so ever, therefore I choose not to pay. Every time. :ph34r:

I do think it has been strategic, but only terms of the fact that everyone would update their firmware, which obviously included the detection software, so they could play the halo 3 beta. After all, pirates cant resist free stuff, can they?

Exactly, it's a great move by Microsoft. They know pretty much every single 360 owner will be logging into the Halo beta which means they'll all have to connect to Live which means Microsoft can clock them. Very smart on their part.

If I get one without paying, be it by stealing one or by cloning one, Ferrari still isn't getting the money. If someone invented a method of copying Ferraris then Ferrari would be fucked.

The only way the computer games industry can continue to exist is if there are enough people willing to buy rather than pirate the product. You can make amusing comments about how copying isn't really stealing all you like, just remember that it has little effect on the final outcome: you're playing a game you've not paid for. If you want the game enough to pirate it you should be paying for it.

So onion, what are your thoughts on the secondhand market then hmm?

I've never seen the attraction of pirating games or chipping consoles. I can see the point of chipping a UK console to allow palyback of imports but I've never done it myself.

Why the hell would i want a crappy, overpriced CDR or DVDR of a game which becomes worthless as soon a you buy when I can get the real thing and sell it on when i'm finished with it? Its just like throwing money away to me.

I've never seen the attraction of pirating games or chipping consoles. I can see the point of chipping a UK console to allow palyback of imports but I've never done it myself.

Why the hell would i want a crappy, overpriced CDR or DVDR of a game which becomes worthless as soon a you buy when I can get the real thing and sell it on when i'm finished with it? Its just like throwing money away to me.

Well I assume, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the attraction is in making your own DVDRs for about 10p.

Yeah, because DVDs cost practically nothing nowadays and you could probably pirate about 400 original xbox games for the cost of a single, new 360 game.

I've modded pretty much every console I've owned in some way or another, it's something I just enjoy doing. Whether it's playing with that awesome homebrew drawing app on the DS or using my PSP to control Itunes, there's always cool shit coming out that I want to try.

Not really. Rent it from Blockbusters.

I can assure you that 'the scene' is waaaaay more organised and sophisticated than that. When games hit the net two weeks before release, you can bet your arse it wasn't thanks to a Blockbuster rental. Still, your point stands - the company didn't make bugger all.

That said, piracy is super-niche, while buying 'pre-owned' games is totally mainstream.

You'd have to be a moron to deny that Game's policy of pushing pre-owned games over originals is more harmful than piracy. It would be a gross exaggeration to suggest that even 1% of all console owners are pirates, but any shop monkey who's done time in a games store will tell you at least 30% of their sales will be their jumble sale shit.

Piracy is no worse for the industry than that.

Hell, it's a damned sight preferable when you factor in 'rare' games and Ebay prices. Again - buying from Ebay benefits the industry not one jot. If anyone here has ever bought a game (that can be bought new over the counter) from Ebay, from the pre-owned section of the games store or from this very forum, you lose your right to make any argument about the harm that pirates perhaps, possibly, maybe, might cause to the industry. You didn't contribute either.

The internet, it says: "UR DOIN IT WRONG"

You'd have to be a moron to deny that Game's policy of pushing pre-owned games over originals is more harmful than piracy. It would be a gross exaggeration to suggest that even 1% of all console owners are pirates, but any shop monkey who's done time in a games store will tell you at least 30% of their sales will be their jumble sale shit.

I was thinking this earlier. Surely the obscene amount of money Game are making by buying cheap preowned, then selling for ludicrous prices must have an impact on the industry... And it doesn't help matters by having PREOWNED! stickers shoved down your throat on every high street. Stupidly I never really buy preowned games purely for that 'new' feeling of ripping off the cellophane.