Retro Gamer Issue 38

strider

I'm sure GamesTM did one.

gamesTM did a "classic game" feature on Goldeneye, RG (in both forms) has featured Goldeneye and Free Radical more than once but I am looking forward to reading the Making Of.

I bet it goes along the lines of, "Rare made this game. The developers said they had a load of fun playing deathmatch. In deathmatch you shoot the other players. You play as JAMES BOND. It's great."

There's been a real leap in quality over the last few issues. This month's is the third or fourth really excellent magazine in a row and you've finally sorted out your writers - the style seems much more consistent and authoritative these days. It's much improved since you got rid of that bloke with the unpronouncable name.

One thing that irks me slightly though: all the N64 screenshots (ie the Goldeneye article this month and the Banjo article a little while back) are always taken at a really high resolution through an emulator. They simply don't look anything like the original game and frankly look a bit odd. Is there any chance of actually getting some proper screenshots for these games? It really does make the world of difference as these cleaned-up high-res shots just don't trigger the same kind of nostalgia.

One thing that irks me slightly though: all the N64 screenshots (ie the Goldeneye article this month and the Banjo article a little while back) are always taken at a really high resolution through an emulator. They simply don't look anything like the original game and frankly look a bit odd. Is there any chance of actually getting some proper screenshots for these games? It really does make the world of difference as these cleaned-up high-res shots just don't trigger the same kind of nostalgia.

Of course, it's much easier to take screenshots through a emulator then the actual game. I'd expect most of the shots in the mag to be emulator shots, it just stands out more with n64 shots. Of course, the n64 games tend to look gash on the native hardware :(

There's been a real leap in quality over the last few issues. This month's is the third or fourth really excellent magazine in a row and you've finally sorted out your writers - the style seems much more consistent and authoritative these days. It's much improved since you got rid of that bloke with the unpronouncable name.

I'll certainly look into it, but S-Video is normally really naff for taking screenshots. Also, emulators tend to have save files, meaning its far easier to jump to certain parts of the game. I'd love to sit down and just play Banjo for two or three days straight in order to get all the screens I need, but unfortunately, I don't really have that luxery.

It's much improved since you got rid of that bloke with the unpronouncable name.

I resigned because I was offered another job at another company. I wasn't "gotten rid of". :angry:

Oh, and it's "Sh", then "ch" and then "paniak"

Could you run the emulator at something approaching the N64's native res? With a bit of blurring you could probably get it reasonably convincing.

I resigned because I was offered another job at another company. I wasn't "gotten rid of". :angry:

Oh, and it's "Sh", then "ch" and then "paniak"

Who said I was talking about you? :(

The bloke with the unpronouncable name was the best thing about the magazine. Szcezccppinak is awesome.

Apart from the Shadowrun feature, like. :angry:

Could you run the emulator at something approaching the N64's native res? With a bit of blurring you could probably get it reasonably convincing.

Who said I was talking about you? ;)

I'll look into this, we're covering another N64 Rare game very soon, so I'll try and get it sorted for then...

A lot of N64-games lately.. when are you going to start to cover the Dreamcast? I remember you did a thing on Sega Marine Fishing quite a while ago.

Don't worry, I'm working on some Dreamcast games this very moment. Providing the developers in question don't let me down, they're going to be freaking awesome...

This week I have mostly been playing the PSP Mega Man games. Is there any chance we could have a Definitive Mega Man, or would Stuart Campbell need three issues to fit it all in? Either way, I'd appreciate a Mega Man article of some description, as I can't seem to find one in any previous issues of RG. I say this cos it was actually the inclusion of Mega Man II in the NES Perfect 10 that made me dig out the UMDs. Well, I didn't dig them out, I just took them from my shelf. Aye.

Don't worry, I'm working on some Dreamcast games this very moment. Providing the developers in question don't let me down, they're going to be freaking awesome...

wow, really looking forward to them!

This week I have mostly been playing the PSP Mega Man games. Is there any chance we could have a Definitive Mega Man, or would Stuart Campbell need three issues to fit it all in? Either way, I'd appreciate a Mega Man article of some description, as I can't seem to find one in any preveious issues of RG. I say this cos it was actually the inclusion of Mega Man II in the NES Perfect 10 that made me dig out the UMDs. Well, I didn't dig them out, I just took them from my shelf. Aye.

I agree

Definative Mega Man has gotta have the edge on Frogger for heavens sake...

You know, there was me reading that Captain Blood article and I was just getting right into it - really peaked my interest - and then....it stopped.

You're not the only one who has said that...

I like to keep the classic games as two pagers, but i guess sometimes a couple of extra pages are justified for certain titles.

Still, I've got other plans for Blood, you'll just have to wait four or five issues...