PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance and Flow for when you have a cold, Oblivion too if you've not played it yet.

Gundam Musou and Choo-Choo-Yamanote Man if you like that sort of thing.

VF5, yeah. I thought Resistance was drek (haven't played it all though). Gundam Musou irritates me because it's not Gundammy - it shouldn't have loads and loads of enemies at once - it's not 'realistic' (within the bounds of Gundam).

I must have misspelled rllmukforum as gamefaqs again! :wacko:

Or perhaps you came into a thread where you knew it was going to be like this, with no intention of adding anything to the conversation except your comedy comment, thereby reinforcing your status as a 'proper' forumite?

I'd agree with this statement, but it's true with all consoles.

If you can put up with the wait, and have enough current gen / decent titles to play through, the best time to get a console is generally about a year after release, when all the kinks are ironed out and the big titles start hitting.

No console has ever really been worth getting at launch, in hindsight, unless you're dedicated or ok with the fact that you'll probably spend months at a time waiting for games.

Which console, (bar the SNES and NES), have had games out within the first 12 months of release which have truly matched the quality and ambition of games that came later in the console's lifespan? Basically, I think what was being said was that it's a bit pointless to judge any of the three console's total lifetime performance based on the games that are currently out.

.::: PlayStation, Game Boy Advance and (according to some misguided souls) Nintendo 64.

But if you shouldn't look at the games right now, you shouldn't look at the console full stop. What use to buy one now, if you can get one later, probably cheaper, with games worth owning?

VF5, yeah. I thought Resistance was drek (haven't played it all though). Gundam Musou irritates me because it's not Gundammy - it shouldn't have loads and loads of enemies at once - it's not 'realistic' (within the bounds of Gundam).

Or perhaps you came into a thread where you knew it was going to be like this, with no intention of adding anything to the conversation except your comedy comment, thereby reinforcing your status as a 'proper' forumite?

Or maybe, just maybe I am sick and tired of every single PS3 thread being filled with drivel?

I don't even own the fucking thing and I'm pissed off with the constant beratement it gets from the Same Old Crowd TM.

Or maybe, just maybe I am sick and tired of every single PS3 thread being filled with drivel?

I don't even own the fucking thing and I'm pissed off with the constant beratement it gets from the Same Old Crowd TM.

Oh, pipe down.

Which console, (bar the SNES and NES), have had games out within the first 12 months of release which have truly matched the quality and ambition of games that came later in the console's lifespan?

Halo on the Xbox probably did.

Halo on the Xbox probably did.

And Mario 64 on the N64.

It tends to be an exception, though. Generally, the best time to buy a console is about five years after it's been launched. Games are (hopefully) still on the shelves, but they're mostly budget price, the console costs about a tenth of what it did, and you get an amazing amount of choice. Mind you, you miss out on the 'wave' of the new, but there you go.

Give it another go, the online's good and so's the rest of the game.

Well, I don't own one, so that might be difficult. I'll see next time I have access to a friend's console.

Why comment then? Just leave us to get on with our drivel. You're not going to get anything out of the threads, or out of posting snide comments.

I'm looking forward to Drake's Fortune, Assassin's Creed and LBP. But without a price cut, I can't imagine buying one for a year or more. It is a good console though. There just aren't enough games on it yet.

That's right. What's this madness about judging consoles by their games? Crazy talk!

We should judge a console by looks alone. And the box it comes in.

head-exploding.gif

Alright Pickford and Gwyn, sarcasm aside, you know what I meant.

The games have nothing to do with the quality of the hardware itself.

I was merely opposing Sean's "the system is shit" statement.

Alright Pickford and Gwyn, sarcasm aside, you know what I meant.

The games have nothing to do with the quality of the hardware itself.

I was merely opposing Sean's "the system is shit" statement.

I think Sean would have been including the games within his definition of 'the system'. I know that's what I do.

I say no. It's a shit system which isn't worth buying yet, is too expensive and doesn't have enough games or movies to make it worth it.

It'll never sort itself out.

I think Sean would have been including the games within his definition of 'the system'. I know that's what I do.

Well, he did mention the games seperately in the same sentence.

Anyway, point laboured, I'll say no more!

If I'm honest, I was pretty underwhelmed by the box.

It's just like a larger version of the 360 box. Both have nice plastic handles and don't require too much manual dexterity to get into. As for the plastic packaging 360 peripherals come in. :wacko: x 1000000000

And Mario 64 on the N64.

It tends to be an exception, though. Generally, the best time to buy a console is about five years after it's been launched. Games are (hopefully) still on the shelves, but they're mostly budget price, the console costs about a tenth of what it did, and you get an amazing amount of choice. Mind you, you miss out on the 'wave' of the new, but there you go.

Well by that time you could probably emulate it by then!

I bought a Dreamcast about 4 years after lauch with 10 games 2 pads for around 70bucks though that was a sweet deal

And Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

The Saturn's Virtua Fighter is probably a contender, too.

Is Raize getting all this? ;)

Two consoles discontinued before they ever even got into their stride.

Don't count.

I'll give you Halo and Mario 64 though, but Monkey Ball? You're seriously suggesting that Monkey Ball can be matched against Resident Evil 4?

Seems my last post has been deleted. Thank you - I hadn't read pages 12 & 13 yet and hadn't realised how bad it had got.

I woulda felt bad and deleted it myself.

PS3 needs exclusive triple A titles and a price cut.

Two consoles discontinued before they ever even got into their stride.

Don't count.

I'll give you Halo and Mario 64 though, but Monkey Ball? You're seriously suggesting that Monkey Ball can be matched against Resident Evil 4?

.::: Are you seriously saying a console ain't worth it until five years after? That's defeating your own point really.

Which console, (bar the SNES and NES), have had games out within the first 12 months of release which have truly matched the quality and ambition of games that came later in the console's lifespan?

In terms of quality and ambition, I'd say Super Monkey Ball was up there with the rest of the GameCube's output in its lifetime. I was still playing it years after launch, anyway.

Not buying you discounting the Dreamcast or Saturn, mind. You're adding random terms and conditions as you go along. If we stick to your original point, then it would seem there are a fair few consoles that launched with at least one quality title.

We should judge a console by looks alone. And the box it comes in.

Actually maybe we should just judge a console by its name.

PS3 it's the second sequel, everyone knows that's about the time when things get fucked up

Xbox360 it has not one but 2 Xs in the name which has to be good. The 360 bit though implies the days that a console might last.

Wii is out there as a name. It means multiplayer and more i s, thusly less online.

I'd wager the Xbox and Halo showed how one title can lord over the machine's line-up from day one. Even Halo 2 was never as accomplished. Same for GoldenEye and Mario 64 on the N64, though obviously Ocarina of Time is in equal steading to them.

Far too soon to buy unless you're desperate for a Blu-Ray player, for 'Click!' ;)

In all seriousness, the PS3 is bound to play host to some great games, but for now it doesn't. Wait for the inevitable price drops and software that will follow later this year or, more likely, during 2008.