PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

Well, this thread has made Crackdown sound quite appealing to me, which is a surprise as I'm not normally interested in running around and shooting people.

Shooting people is secondary, figuring out how to scale buildings is primary. Absolutely amazing when you crack a building and get to stand on top firing rockets down on the civilians.

Fucking hell what did i start with that 'crackdown is a killer app' comment

You destroyed RLLMUK. It's been interesting reading some of the posts though. It would seem some peoples idea of a game is to be told every little thing, and then shown. Gaz especially has made the simplest game in a long time seem like the most confusing. I mean you kill bad guys, GO! Not that hard to grasp.

Funnily enough, F1 tempted me, just because it looks so beautiful and I haven't played a decent F1 game since Bizarre Creation's efforts on the original PlayStation.

Then I read Edge's review, and it all died.

They're wrong. It's an excellent game for F1 fans and a damn decent racer for everyone else. Check out the thread to see that many others agree.

Shooting people is secondary, figuring out how to scale buildings is primary. Absolutely amazing when you crack a building and get to stand on top firing rockets down on the civilians.

Well, I don't have a 360 so I'm not getting it, but I'm now interested in playing it when and if I do get a 360. Even more so after your post.

Well, I don't have a 360 so I'm not getting it, but I'm now interested in playing it when and if I do get a 360. Even more so after your post.

You should do.

It's damned good fun.

Plus, people running about shouting "prepare to die!" and "time to die!" rather than the expletives usually tied to this kind of title post GTA made me smile. It's like a next-gen title with an old-school core.

I just love me some Crackdown. ;)

Anyway, I'm pleased with my PS3. I've thought about selling it on numerous occassions, watching that big black hulk of plastic gather dust underneath my TV - but I can't. I love it. The Ninja Gaiden demo looks incredible on my TV, every time I turn it on I can't resist having a play with Flow, and I'm still not finished with Motorstorm or Resistance. And LBP looks lush, not to mention Home... ;)

It'll get good soon. If it doesn't, straight to the trading folder.

How's the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD battle going? That could still save the PS3 bacon if it they get a clear victory on that score.

It's not going to happen is it.

I bought a Saturn when the writing was well and truly on the wall for that beast, and I can feel that history may be about to repeat itself with the PS3.

Only in two player mode.

Is Solitaire any good then? Last time I tried was back on Windows 3.1, bought 8 years old I think?

I walked into college the other day, there were some massive pixel blocks on the walls arranged in a familiar shape, numbers on a grid - then I realised, Minesweeper! Another game I never played!

I'll give you Halo and Mario 64 though, but Monkey Ball? You're seriously suggesting that Monkey Ball can be matched against Resident Evil 4?

Yes. Monkey Ball is a much better game. RE4 will age horribly compared to Super Monkey Ball. In fifty years Monkey Ball will still be fun.

Crackdown is one of the best games I've played on 360. I would recommend people buy a 360 just to play it. If you only play it for half an hour, I can see how some people might get confused as it refuses to hold your hand. I found it took some getting used to but 2 hours in, I was loving it. And I'm still loving it now. No other game on the 360 has me gagging to get achievments quite as much as this game. Plus any game where the narrator says, "Guns! Guns! Guns!" in the style of Clarence Boddicker from Robocop gets my vote.

Apologies for adding more wreckage to the Crackdown train wreck thread. ;)

Crackdown is one of the best games I've played on 360. I would recommend people buy a 360 just to play it. If you only play it for half an hour, I can see how some people might get confused as it refuses to hold your hand. I found it took some getting used to but 2 hours in, I was loving it. And I'm still loving it now. No other game on the 360 has me gagging to get achievments quite as much as this game. Plus any game where the narrator says, "Guns! Guns! Guns!" in the style of Clarence Boddicker from Robocop gets my vote.

Apologies for adding more wreckage to the Crackdown train wreck thread. ;)

indeed, i actually bought my 360 to play it. i guess that makes it a killer app . i personally prefer "skills for kills agent, skills for kills".

it's actually genuinely fascinating to me to see how some people clearly find unstructured play impossible to grasp. it's true that in everything the human mind 'likes' narratives - not just films, games books but even in their thoughts and stuff, much easier to make sense of things. anyway, PS3. it's just too expensive for sane people, no matter how good the games are or the movie playback is.

some people clearly find unstructured play impossible to grasp

I just don't find it entertaining - I find it pointless. If I want to "create" my own fun I'll make and upload another drawing to DeviantArt - not play a videogame.

I just don't find it entertaining - I find it pointless. If I want to "create" my own fun I'll make and upload another drawing to DeviantArt - not play a videogame.

Jesus, what a rubbish example.