PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

Believe!

It's a simply question really, do Konami want to make back the development cost?

I don't think this would be an easy port, from the sounds of things. Saying that, even if MGS4 hits in October it'll have taken 250 people two and a half years to develop- compared to MGS2's 80 people taking a year and a half. Expeeeensive.

Maybe it depends on whether they want to make back the development costs in sales, or in exclusivity compensation payments.

Sony will need to ease the pain of millions of potential sales though- esp in the US where I suspect a metal gear on the 360 will sell very well (becasue I believe microsoft appeal to the serious gamers whereas sony are to the casual market- except this time around its too the tech head market).

However, I have a feeling that its at least a timed exclusive. Sony needs some names to its console.

I don't think this would be an easy port, from the sounds of things. Saying that, even if MGS4 hits in October it'll have taken 250 people two and a half years to develop- compared to MGS2's 80 people taking a year and a half. Expeeeensive.

So it cost a lot lot LOT to make?

Even more reason to make more money back somehow- double edged sword

So it cost a lot lot LOT to make?

Even more reason to make more money back somehow- double edged sword

Depends on how many units they sell- MGS is a very "PlayStation" series. Even with the rabid rumours and hype surrounding MGS-X (later Substance), it sold terribly on Xbox, for instance.

It'd be nice to see an unconventional Japanese developer embrace the system though- would Otacon talk to you by Codec, or over Live?

Depends on how many units they sell- MGS is a very "PlayStation" series. Even with the rabid rumours and hype surrounding MGS-X (later Substance), it sold terribly on Xbox, for instance.

It'd be nice to see an unconventional Japanese developer embrace the system though- would Otacon talk to you by Codec, or over Live?

All the xbox had was a rubbish port of MGS2 substance aaaages after the release of the original right?

Also considering the dominant position the PS2 had by then over the xbox, keeping it to the PS2 then would have been a no brainer regardless, they had already made their money.

I mean theres only so many units they can sell as theres only SO many PS3's out there. The 360 has a potential 10 million or so to tap into in western markets for a pretty western themed game, its not like its a J-RPG.

Sony must be paying them quite a lot of they're expecting lots of people to get a $599 console just for the game when its released.

They need a highly regarded game that serious gamers want to buy a console for.

Uncharted?

Ratchet and Clank Future?

Heavenly Sword?

Warhawk (for the online gamers)?

Motorstorm and Resistance are already more than worthy of picking the console up for. Could a sequel to one or both be due this Christmas?

Motorstorm and Resistance are already more than worthy of picking the console up for. Could a sequel to one or both be due this Christmas?

Great launch games, but honestly to say a console as expensive as the PS3 is worthy picking up something for like Resitance (by the numbers shooter with a few cool weapons) or a good but ultimately not perfect racing game is a bit insane.

The poor reviews probably didn't help it. :lol:

Official Xbox Mag: "it's finally here, but it's not worth it 'cos it's rubbish. Go and play Halo instead."

The poor reviews probably didn't help it. :lol:

Official Xbox Mag: "it's finally here, but it's not worth it 'cos it's rubbish. Go and play Halo instead."

Too late and the port was a bit shit.

Who was suprised? No one really cared that it came out by the time it did, it was a stupid decision really. Anyone who had wanted to play it, had on the PS2. It was a weekend game. Game to game though, Halo does kick its arse.

To compare it to now considering how different the circumstances are now though is silly.

Who was suprised? No one really cared that it came out by the time it did, it was a stupid decision really. Anyone who had wanted to play it, had on the PS2. It was a weekend game. Game to game though, Halo does kick its arse.

It may well do, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worthy of praise. I don't subscribe to the notion of one game winning out over another making the lesser redundant. I never played the port, so I don't know quite how badly optimised it was, but it deserved success regardless of what platform it appeared on.

To compare it to now considering how different the circumstances are now though is silly.

I get the impression the typical Xboxer doesn't want any fancy-pants MGS style gameplay. Going up against Halo 3 this time, I envisage similarly dismissive reviews.

Mind you, if MGS fans are forced to go for the cheaper next-gen option, you may be right.

Too late and the port was a bit shit.

People are talking about MGSXXXX arriving six to twelve months after launch- Substance late, and they're developing MGS4 heavily towards the fairly demented PS3 hardware, making a port likely to be a bit less than spectacular.

People are talking about MGSXXXX arriving six to twelve months after launch- Substance late, and they're developing MGS4 heavily towards the fairly demented PS3 hardware, making a port likely to be a bit less than spectacular.

Yes, a lot of people don't realise Konami have (recently) said this is being built specifically for the ps3 hardware and they have no aim of targeting the 360 at all due to the development process being so dedicated to the ps3 architecture. They aren't refusing a 360 port as such, but the ps3 is clearly the only target until they've finished it at least.

I get the impression the typical Xboxer doesn't want any fancy-pants MGS style gameplay. Going up against Halo 3 this time, I envisage similarly dismissive reviews.

Mind you, if MGS fans are forced to go for the cheaper next-gen option, you may be right.

Fancy pants gameplay?

Its less complex than Splinter Cell, which does alright on the microsoft things.

If anything, it is a typical xbox game. Guns, stealth, action, hi def, cutscenes but with Live integration and achievements etc.

If you were talking about FFXIII, then your typical xboxer (whatever that may be- esp considering a lot of 360 sales are not from prev xbox owners who are sticking their guns until Halo 3 arrives I guess) then that might make sense, personally, I think it would sell v well on the 360. It certainly has the numbers behind it too at least match the PS3 sales.

Great launch games, but honestly to say a console as expensive as the PS3 is worthy picking up something for like Resitance (by the numbers shooter with a few cool weapons) or a good but ultimately not perfect racing game is a bit insane.

Resistance is the my favourite shooter since Half-Life 2 and Motorstorm brings back the same sort of buzz that Wipeout did for me on the PS1. They justified my purchase of the PS3, along with F1, but apparently I'm insane. :lol:

The rampant fanboyism in every PS3 thread on this forum defies belief.

Yes, a lot of people don't realise Konami have (recently) said this is being built specifically for the ps3 hardware and they have no aim of targeting the 360 at all due to the development process being so dedicated to the ps3 architecture. They aren't refusing a 360 port as such, but the ps3 is clearly the only target until they've finished it at least.

How specific is it though? Was DMC4 specific before it went multiformat?

I know considering how its been developed that it makes little sense to go through the apparent huge effort and expense of a port, but right now theres about what? 3-4 million PS3's out there in the world in homes (or in Argos stock rooms LOL), Konami need Sony to have a fucking good winter sales wise.

Fancy pants gameplay?

Its less complex than Splinter Cell, which does alright on the microsoft things.

More a lack of realism/conformity than a complexity issue. Rigid separate first and third person viewpoints, isolated rooms without global concequences, spinning floating pick-up boxes, infinite health bandannas, super-powered bosses and fourth-wall breaking codes. MGS3 had some mental stuff going on too - beating a boss by faking your own death, etc.

Most people I spoke to gave up on XboxMGS due to the first point. "Oh, I can't see where I'm going. This is shit." "Uh, the radar is there for a reason!"

Yeah, I'm not surprised Splinter Cell does well on the Xbox - it's exactly the sort of ordinary run-of-the-mill Tom Clancy monotony that appeals to dullards without imaginations. :lol:

Resistance is the my favourite shooter since Half-Life 2 and Motorstorm brings back the same sort of buzz that Wipeout did for me on the PS1. They justified my purchase of the PS3, along with F1, but apparently I'm insane. :lol:

The rampant fanboyism in every PS3 thread on this forum defies belief.

YOU'RE BONKERS.

I would have called someone nuts back in the 360 launch saying COD2 and PGR3 are purchase worthy of the console....well not as much because the 360 didnt retail for £425. And they got to next gen first.

Seriously if you love them, then great, but I doubt they're system seller worthy.

How specific is it though? Was DMC4 specific before it went multiformat?

I know considering how its been developed that it makes little sense to go through the apparent huge effort and expense of a port, but right now theres about what? 3-4 million PS3's out there in the world in homes (or in Argos stock rooms LOL), Konami need Sony to have a fucking good winter sales wise.

Pass about DMC4, but I'll point out that its been confirmed delayed until next year, which may or may not be port related. Kojima Productions are a lot more focused on specific platforms then someone like Capcom. Kojima + team are only working on ps3 or Ds projects. Whereas capcom are making games for every platform in current existance

3-4 Million ps3s is enough for something like MGS4 to do well, which IS a system seller no matter how many halo fanboys say otherwise. But I agree double that would be much better for Konami (it's kind of hard, not to mention foolish to argue such a thing), as they are putting so much into the game and deserve to maximise profits

More a lack of realism/conformity than a complexity issue. Rigid separate first and third person viewpoints, isolated rooms without global concequences, spinning floating pick-up boxes, infinite health bandannas, super-powered bosses and fourth-wall breaking codes. MGS3 had some mental stuff going on too - beating a boss by faking your own death, etc.

Most people I spoke to gave up on XboxMGS due to the first point. "Oh, I can't see where I'm going. This is shit." "Uh, the radar is there for a reason!"

Yeah, I'm not surprised Splinter Cell does well on the Xbox - it's exactly the sort of ordinary run-of-the-mill Tom Clancy monotony that appeals to dullards without imaginations. :lol:

Im sure purple and red aliens shouting wort wort wort as well as a talking holographic ai with a bad haircut being in any xbox game would have failed horribly too, its just not realistic enough! :(

And I really dont like SC games that much. They suck.

Pass about DMC4, but I'll point out that its been confirmed delayed until next year, which may or may not be port related. Kojima Productions are a lot more focused on specific platforms then someone like Capcom. Kojima + team are only working on ps3 or Ds projects. Whereas capcom are making games for every platform in current existance

3-4 Million ps3s is enough for something like MGS4 to do well, which IS a system seller no matter how many halo fanboys say otherwise. But I agree double that would be much better for Konami (it's kind of hard, not to mention foolish to argue such a thing), as they are putting so much into the game and deserve to maximise profits

MGS2 sold what, 7million copies? And cost less?

I agree with all your points, but they seriously need more systems out there to make some cash on.

I agree with all your points, but they seriously need more systems out there to make some cash on.

The question is how many systems will be out there by November. MGS2 was out 12months after the us ps2 launch, and 18months after the japanese launch. Mgs4 is looking to launch 12months after a na/jp launch, so there was certainly a bigger market for mgs2 on its debut. Certainly it's not impossible for MGS4 to do MGS2 numbers (I doubt it sold it's 7million in its first couple of months), but it needs other software to do big in the months before to promote the machine. there are such titles on the way, but the real big hitters are probably going to hit alongside mgs4, if not a couple of weeks later.

Anyone saying mgs4 will die a death on ps3 is kidding themselves, but it does have its work cut out for sure.

Edit: Was that7m for the ps2 version of the original, or does that include Substance and its xbox cousin?

7 million across three platforms, a re-release, to date. MGS3 shifted marginally more than 4 million.

PS3 sales should pick up after the summer. Systems don't sell at this time of year (except Wiis and DSes of course).

Uncharted?

Ratchet and Clank Future?

Heavenly Sword?

Warhawk (for the online gamers)?

Ok, they all look like great games, but only R&C is really a known quantity and I really don't see a lot of people buying a PS3 to play that. Its MGS4 that the system NEEDS RIGHT NOW.