PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

That's the same retarded logic that makes a 360 cost £650. "Oh, an Elite with an HD-DVD drive and a play-and-charge kit and a Wi-Fi adaptor and Live Gold account etc". Don't embarass yourself.

Re-read my original post and that might stop you embarrassing yourself further. Please do show me where I said the machine costs over £500?

I actually said '...have spunked over £500 on a PAL machine with a couple of games...'

Motorstorm is getting far, far more attention that it deserves because people who have spunked over £500 on a PAL machine with a couple of games are desperate not to feel like they've been a little hasty.

It costs £500 with a couple of games and an extra pad. If not more?
That's the same retarded logic that makes a 360 cost £650. "Oh, an Elite with an HD-DVD drive and a play-and-charge kit and a Wi-Fi adaptor and Live Gold account etc". Don't embarass yourself.

That's hardly the same.

Re-read my original post and that might stop you embarrassing yourself further. Please do show me where I said the machine costs over £500?

I actually said '...have spunked over £500 on a PAL machine with a couple of games...'

Hmmmmm... I have to say I didn't notice that before... Does this forum backdate quotes? :( :(

To be honest, if you blew £500 on a PS3 and a pile of games you randomly chose... you're a damn fool, yeah, and you probably would use MotorStorm to justify your purchase. But I spent £350 and I still think it's the best off-road racer in years.

For me, the PS3 was expensive but has been worth it. I have a very powerful console with some good (maybe not amazing) games, loads of very cool stuff on the way, a BluRay player for HD movie goodness, and it plays and upscales my DVDs and PS2 games.

Now I can understand that, yes, £425 is a lot and, yes, there isn't a huge library of games yet. But it's early days, and early adopters know they get stung. Why non-PS3 owners keep coming on complaining about it when they haven't ACTUALLY SPENT ANY MONEY ON ONE is the thing that slightly steams my piss (only slightly mind)

New forum rule. You must purchase something before having the right to criticise it.

Don't get me wrong, criticising is fine. It's all the complaining about spending lots of money on something that doesn't have any games yet. The PS3 is not perfect I know.

Taking comments out of context FTW hey?

Don't get me wrong, criticising is fine. It's all the complaining about spending lots of money on something that doesn't have any games yet. The PS3 is not perfect I know.

Taking comments out of context FTW hey?

I don't see your point - the cost behind something is associated with its impressions, if it cost £199, then it would get a lot less slack. Thats natural. When something has a premium price point, it has to try or have some quality behind it to impress.

If you spent the cash on it, fair enough, but I dont see why people moaning about it would piss you off, its your purchase. They're not moaning about you spending your cash on it, they're pointing out for them thats its not good value for money (and if you want anything other than a blu-ray drive, it really isnt).

And also the implication that someone who spends £425 on a PS3 is somehow an idiot. That's annoying too.

Its annoying if you're insecure about your own purchase.

Its a generalising statement, why should it bother you?

I'm a happy bunny PS3 wise. :(

Personally, I think it's good vfm, but I'm an idiot

If you think its good vfm, then it is! Like you said you use it as a blu-ray player, in which case, I see them as a bargain.

It really depends on your needs.

My PS3 was AWFUL value for money.

Because it sat unused for two months.

Yeah I'm a Blu-Ray whore. I had a windfall and went on a movie buying spree. I suppose that's the difference really... for me the purchase wasn't just for a games machine - I wanted the other stuff too. Which is Sony's problem at the moment - the early adopters (gamers) want games, not frilly multimedia features.

Anyway, carry on. I'm supposed to be working

I love my PS3, but it does need games. And quick.

Motorstorm and Resistance were great, and Blue-Ray is nice, but i generally only turn it on to play the Everybody's golf demo, and download from PSN at the moment.

Yesterdays update was good too, the video streaming is ace. (Yes, i know it's been around for ages, but i haven't got a 360)

I don't see your point - the cost behind something is associated with its impressions, if it cost £199, then it would get a lot less slack. Thats natural. When something has a premium price point, it has to try or have some quality behind it to impress.

It has. It has build quality that the 360 can only dream of and a decent Blu Ray player. It also has some very decent launch titles. Your non stop anti PS3 posts in every related thread are becoming very tiresome. We get it, you don't like the machine and you sold yours. :(

It has. It has build quality that the 360 can only dream of and a decent Blu Ray player. It also has some very decent launch titles. Your non stop anti PS3 posts in every related thread are becoming very tiresome. We get it, you don't like the machine and you sold yours. :(

Holy shit sticks Batman, youre right it does have quality, but its either not blanket or immediate nor is it for everyone.

Now after if you, having a failed 360, build quality may be an issue, but it usually isnt when you buy a console. You have 12 months warranty so you assume it'll work, not break. Microsoft are cunts for build quality to be perceived as a benefit, its not a fucking benefit, its what you should expect. To be build quality isnt an issue, because my 360 still works, when it dies which it could any day, then it might be.

And with the blu-ray, yawn, read the posts afterwards saying if you want blu-ray or a hd movie format player than the PS3 is a bargain. My exact words. Otherwise, its part of the games console price on top if you just want it for games.

If you're so touchy about apparent anti- PS3 posts then I dunno, put me on ignore. I think everythign I say has some reasoning behind it, its not blanket idiot OMG THE PS3 SUCKZOR LOL. Hell, I read a whole thread about the 360 dying and how shite the build quality is, didnt mean I stormed in there, said mine was working and then went and hugged it because it still was.

I dunno, chill out or put me on ignore. Jesus.

You know what surprises me? The almost complete and apparent lack of interest in the machine from the public and shops. Sure when it launched there was some buzz about it (although muted) but now 2 months on its completly dried up. My local gamestations and Games have relegated the machine and games to small displays at the back of the 360 / wii displays. PS3 boxes which have sat still for weeks are rapidly gathering dust.

I'm still amazed to see secondhand units turning up already and sitting for a week or two in shop windows

And, though anecdotal, the opinions of self confessed sony fanboys that I know of are rapidly turning negative. One such individual has spent the last six months saving for one but has got fed up of waiting for games to appear and the high cost. Forza's 2 appearance has convinced him to give up waiting for GT5 and get a 360 instead

You know what surprises me? The almost complete and apparent lack of interest in the machine from the public and shops. Sure when it launched there was some buzz about it (although muted) but now 2 months on its completly dried up. My local gamestations and Games have relegated the machine and games to small displays at the back of the 360 / wii displays. PS3 boxes which have sat still for weeks are rapidly gathering dust.

That's because the marketing spend is quite limited at the moment, which is down to the price of the machine. One there's a price cut, expect the machine to be pushed harder. Look at how hard Nintendo have pushed the DS Lite, by way of comparison.

I've not notice Benito before. Is he always this... y'know? (/me mimes politically incorrectly)

One thing that is annoying, i just want European Betas, like the Home and Warhawk one's that the US have had.

Also, the UK Store is total gash. Thank god i've got access to the US and Japanese stores.

Home public beta goes live in a month or so, I've got the sign-up page bookmarked at the moment so I can join it as soon as it's updated. The UK store is a bit shit tho.

And also the implication that someone who spends £425 on a PS3 is somehow an idiot. That's annoying too.

Idiotic is a bit strong, but I personally think it is foolish buying one when you look at the price the Japanese and the American pay.

I wouldn't buy one out of principle.

Idiotic is a bit strong, but I personally think it is foolish buying one when you look at the price the Japanese and the American pay.

I wouldn't buy one out of principle.

Factor in VAT and shipping and special offers you find in the UK, and it all becomes pointless to note the regional prices then.

I've not notice Benito before. Is he always this... y'know? (/me mimes politically incorrectly)

Not sure what you're implying here?

I'm merely suggesting, as is so frequent with console launches, that some games get far more attention, and praise, than they deserve. Motorstorm, for me, seems to be in that category and that, in 6 months when little of note has been released, people might think they were hasty dropping £500 notes for the machine and a couple of games.

If you're happy with the machine, then that's great. No need to get all upset!

Anyone else think that maybe Sony should have promoted it as a Blue Ray player that also happend to play a few games?

Might have been a better bet methinks.

If you look at the posters in HMV, thats what they've done

Anyone else think that maybe Sony should have promoted it as a Blue Ray player that also happend to play a few games?

Might have been a better bet methinks.

Not sure that makes it look any better. Still overpriced. I know standalone players cost more but that's clearly an artificial situation created by Sony. Also, HD movies are a long way from being mass market, at best they are in the Laser Disk category. Games are probably a better bet.

Not sure that makes it look any better. Still overpriced. I know standalone players cost more but that's clearly an artificial situation created by Sony.

The £1000 Sammy BD players are selling for £350 now. I'd argue as a result of the PS3's arrival.