PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

Anything that is a chore, isn't fun, if I wanted a chore I would do the washing up and assign myself points for each plate I clean.

This is coming out on Wii.

I'm not the only one who feels this way, pretty much everyone who has played it at mine has loved running round shooting stuff then got bored.

Jumping, kicking and driving = fun. Running = Daley Thompson's Decathlon

My strength or ability isn't going up, because I don't want to go looking for orbs, I want to kill the bosses, it agitates me that I have killed two bosses already and nothing has progressed, leaving me little choice but to ditch the game or go round collecting orbs.

Orbs don't make your character stronger. If you don't want to jump around collecting orbs, you don't have to. All it means is your ability to jump around won't improve, which presumably suits you fine since you don't like doing that anyway. If you like shooting bosses, do that, and you'll get better at it. That's the beauty of Crackdown.

Orbs don't make your character stronger. If you don't want to jump around collecting orbs, you don't have to. All it means is your ability to jump around won't improve, which presumably suits you fine since you don't like doing that anyway. If you like shooting bosses, do that, and you'll get better at it. That's the beauty of Crackdown.

But, because I can't jump high enough, theres places I can't reach and I feel incredibly limited within the game.

The experience has become stagnant because however "sandbox" the game is, the only objective is to kill bosses.

Yes but if they are fun and not complex, they are automatically noddy...

I was refering to Cooking Mama and Bust-a-Move, which I played when I was 9 years old. Warioware can literally turn you into Noddy.

I need some depth to keep me going, not 10,000 titles involving flipping a pancake or putting a ball in a cup, again, games I played when I was in single digits.

I think here lies the success of the Wii, it has taken gaming and given it back to the families and kids. Brilliant, but not for me, well not for longer than a few days anyway.

The experience has become stagnant because however "sandbox" the game is, the only objective is to kill bosses.

Not trying to start a ruck over this, (I can accept that Crackdown isn't for you), but isn't this pretty much the only objective to most games? The only differences between games, are the means by which you are able to acheive your objective.

The future of videogames?

More additions to a growing third party catalogue of titles available off the shelf?

Some exclusives, as well, which is always nice. Could be worse, it could be the PS3's current line-up...

You seem to be taking a narratologists view on gaming, you want a story to be told to you and thats the objective of playing. What people like about Crackdown is that it's how you play the game is what matters. Lots of games could be reduced to boring sounding objectives, football: the only objective is to score goals, mario: the only objective is to get to the end of the level etc.. The fun is in how you achive those objectives.

In Crackdown you could just run directly in to the bosses hideout and shoot them with the Agency Pistol, you'd need to grind away at the ability levels to be able to do that. You could plan to bypass part of the hideout by jumping a vehicle off a ramp into the location. You could attach loads of satchel charges to an object, carry it to the boss and detonate it. You could swim around the back and use upgraded agility to jump up into the hideout. You could concentrate on upgrading the weapons skill and snipe the boss from a nearby mountain side. You could play co-op and get the other player to put a skip over your car and storm the front gates. As a player there are a massive amount of choices.

Not trying to start a ruck over this, (I can accept that Crackdown isn't for you), but isn't this pretty much the only objective to most games? The only differences between games, are the means by which you are able to acheive your objective.

Well, using GTA as an example, no, it has missions with variety and you have to do various tasks. I'm not trying to argue against crackdown being a good game, I can't stand RPGs but I understand why they are good sellers, my point is just that many people feel the way I do and as such crackdown is nowhere near a killer app.

Gaz. How many stars do you have for your jumping abilty?

I don't know, but I have only found about 3 orbs.

I was refering to Cooking Mama and Bust-a-Move, which I played when I was 9 years old. Warioware can literally turn you into Noddy.

I need some depth to keep me going, not 10,000 titles involving flipping a pancake or putting a ball in a cup, again, games I played when I was in single digits.

I think here lies the success of the Wii, it has taken gaming and given it back to the families and kids. Brilliant, but not for me, well not for longer than a few days anyway.

I played Metal Gear Solid when I was 19, why would I want to play MGS4 when I'm 27, or more likely 28 or 9 by the time it arrives?

Another silly post by our resident PS3 apologist.

What does 'depth' even mean in this context?

But, because I can't jump high enough, theres places I can't reach and I feel incredibly limited within the game.

The idea is you fuck around, take the piss kill people and find that in the process of having fun you've leveled up. If you're having to level up to kill a boss then you're obviously not good enough to take the guy on without leveling. In which case turn the difficulty down, or stop sucking.

You seem to be taking a narratologists view on gaming, you want a story to be told to you and thats the objective of playing. What people like about Crackdown is that it's how you play the game is what matters. Lots of games could be reduced to boring sounding objectives, football: the only objective is to score goals, mario: the only objective is to get to the end of the level etc.. The fun is in how you achive those objectives.

In Crackdown you could just run directly in to the bosses hideout and shoot them with the Agency Pistol, you'd need to grind away at the ability levels to be able to do that. You could plan to bypass part of the hideout by jumping a vehicle off a ramp into the location. You could attach loads of satchel charges to an object, carry it to the boss and detonate it. You could swim around the back and use upgraded agility to jump up into the hideout. You could concentrate on upgrading the weapons skill and snipe the boss from a nearby mountain side. You could play co-op and get the other player to put a skip over your car and storm the front gates. As a player there are a massive amount of choices.

Heres the thing, crackdown SHOULD be my ideal game, I don't care much for the story being told, I just want missions to do.

I could get on with crackdown if I could increase my agility without needing to find orbs, I could get on with it if it gave me somewhere to go where I could get directions to the next logical place to attack, even if you dont HAVE to go there, I would have appreciated that option, as would have other people I have spoken to about it.

Currently I just feel like theres loads to the game, but I don't feel I know how to progress past the part I am at now, driving around feels aimless, comparing it to GTA again, I can drive around doing random stuff and it doesn't seem aimless, because it seems like I am having some fun and then I can pick up from where I was, but crackdown doesn't feel like it stretches past that messing about stage.

The idea is you fuck around, take the piss kill people and find that in the process of having fun you've leveled up. If you're having to level up to kill a boss then you're obviously not good enough to take the guy on without leveling. In which case turn the difficulty down, or stop sucking.

Some people are good at games, and some people just enjoy playing them.

You have basically described the same experience that I have just said feels like it is lacking, and have said that its my fault I can't get enjoyment out of it because I suck.

I don't complete games, ever, but I like to be able to enjoy them, I like to be able to take on another mission if the one im doing is too hard, I like to be able to respawn without having to start again miles away from where I was, and I tend to turn off if I die too many times.

I already have the difficulty on the lowest setting, and I can't be fucked "messing around" in order to be able to continue.

But, rather than arguing that I'm "doing it wrong" why not get back to the matter in hand, which is that loads of people have traded crackdown in, for the exact reasons I am explaining, or because it wasn't enough like GTA or because they preferred saints row, so however much a few geeks are enjoying it, its still not a killer app.

I was referring to the gameplay, not the quantity.

The PS2 wasn't a success purely because it had games that Womblingfree declares to be great, but rather because it had thousands of games that appealed to all sorts of people.

The Wii needs that and, so far, seems to be on the right tracks to get that.

The PS3, on the other hand, is getting no quantity and no quality, either, at the moment.

Yeah, I couldn't get anywhere on Crackdown. I just want to be told where to go next, because if I can't seem to do whatever choice I make, then I don't know if its because I'm not agile enough, or because I'm missing something.

Case in point, I *think* I've killed all the bosses on the first island, but then I go to cross the bridge because there's a Ammo point there I need to secure - unfortunately it seems to be high up somewhere I can't reach... but I don't know if thats because I've not discovered the correct route, or because I need to collect more agility orbs in order to jump higher.

Because of this, well, the game is pretty much over for me. And i was enjoying it as well, but I've absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

Well, using GTA as an example, no, it has missions with variety and you have to do various tasks.

The ultimate objective of GTA, as with Crackdown, is to kill the Boss, everything else is just gameplay diversion for fun - both games are the same in this regard.

Like GTA, Crackdown also lets you do other stuff en route to the final Boss showdown. For example, scaling the Agency Tower and then base jumping into a tiny pool at the very bottom. This is one of the very many, structured and rewarded, diversions that Crackdown offers.

Golly, I'm not on commission, so I'll stop trying to sell it to you.

I played Metal Gear Solid when I was 19, why would I want to play

MGS4 when I'm 27, or more likely 28 or 9 by the time it arrives?

What are you on about? You are comparing MGS and MGS4 to Puzzle Bobble 1994 and Bust-a-Move Wii?

I'd be looking forward to MGS4 more as it shows a natural progression of technology and possibly gameplay over the years. I play Bust-a-Move everyday on my mobile, not sure I need another copy for my next-gen console. Sure someone does though.

Another silly post by our resident PS3 apologist.

I apologise for getting some use out of my PS3. I shall shall try to get back on message. What's 'in' this week?

borg.jpg

Like I said I'm still waiting for a AAA title on any next-gen console.

The ultimate objective of GTA, as with Crackdown, is to kill the Boss, everything else is just gameplay diversion for fun - both games are the same in this regard.

Like GTA, Crackdown also lets you do other stuff en route to the final Boss showdown. For example, scaling the Agency Tower and then base jumping into a tiny pool at the very bottom. This is one of the very many, structured and rewarded, diversions that Crackdown offers.

Golly, I'm not on commission, so I'll stop trying to sell it to you.

GTA will make you drive somewhere, pick someone up, take them somewhere, kill the people there, then get the person back home safely.

Crackdown just literally expects you to find and kill bosses.

There is a difference.

I'd be looking forward to MGS4 more as it shows a natural progression of technology

I think that says it all, to be honest.

You're someone who is more interested in the tech of new consoles than the gameplay. That's fair enough, but it seems to distort your views.

As to the other point, you seemed to suggest that Bust-a-Move Wii was redundant as you played a previous game in the series when you were 9. Just because you played a previous game in the series 5 or so years ago, doesn't mean a new game in that series is redundant.

I had a Playstation when I was at Uni and I had both Bust-a-Move 2 and MGS during that time. I played MGS solidly for a weekend. Loved it and then never touched it again. I played Bust-a-Move 2 almost everyday for 2 years - the 2-player mode was superb.

Depth and quality. Bust-a-Move II had them both.

The PS2 wasn't a success purely because it had games that Womblingfree declares to be great, but rather because it had thousands of games that appealed to all sorts of people.

But that has nothing to do with quality software.

I'm not interested in how many games are available, just in the games I enjoy. Are you suggesting we should all play the games other people enjoy?

Now where can I get a copy of Simpson Road Rage?

But that has nothing to do with quality software.

I'm not interested in how many games are available, just in the games I enjoy. Are you suggesting we should all play the games other people enjoy?

Now where can I get a copy of Simpson Road Rage?

Maybe you should broaden your horizons, you might surprise yourself.

I think that says it all, to be honest.

You're someone who is more interested in the tech of new consoles than the gameplay. That's fair enough, but it seems to distort your views.

Way-ta-selectively-quote there Mister. Try adding the bit I wrote in the same sentence about the possible advancement in gameplay. But then that would make your point kind of spurious and pointless.

If MGS4 is the same old biscuit then it can fuck off. At the moment though I think most of us are optimistic, slightly less so for the next Bust-a-Move.