PS3: Too soon to buy?

macosx!

Fair point, sorry. I've reread the posts and realised I was selectively remembering them (probably because I skimread them first).

I was going by where you said:

And

And

And

And

All of which suggested to me that you didn't know what to do in the game, since you are told what to do (just not at every second); you don't power up anything other than your agility (leaving aside the secret orbs) by collecting orbs; if you've only found about 3 you can't even be walking around the city - they're everywhere and plenty of them are collectable using the default agility, so it's not exactly a chore (or no more than a bunch of the missions in GTA); you don't have to 'mess around' to continue - you actually play the game: you'll level up enough by killing the enemies who are just on the streets; and as I said, the first island is essentially a training level, since it's so easy and you keep getting told what to do by yon chappie at the Agency.

I subconscously marginalised the other stuff you said. Sorry again! :wacko:

I guess you just don't like though, which is fair enough.

I'm not told what to do though, I just get a constant flow of useless information.

I drive along a bit and it says "agent, theres a supply point near, go to it" but then I can't get to it because I can't jump high enough, and then I do get to it and I run around and I kill some people, then I run around again and kill some more, then I have to walk backwards and forwards until the next lot spawn so I know what direction to go in, and then I kill some more, and then I kill the boss and then I am back where I started.

I drive along and I get told that theres a race here, a supply point there, a boss to kill here, but none of it is in any order, its not structured, theres no flow, theres no logical progression.

Its the difference between giving a band sheet music, or just giving them instruments, fair enough they can make some great music but it would be better if they were playing a concert.

I don't want my hand held, I just want some structure to the game, and some logical progression.

Logical progression: -

1. Take out the gang leaders in Los Muertos. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

2. Take out the gang leaders in the Volk. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

3. Take out the gang leaders in Shai-Gen. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

Of course, the beauty is you don't have to do it this way. If you're good enough, you can take the Shai-Gen's Kingpin before anybody else. Or you can spend your time hunting for orbs and completing street races to build your abilities before you attempt to take anybody out. It's up to you. If that's too confusing for you, then I'd suggest that you do want your hand held.

Having spoken to people about this before, I'd say people - on the whole - do get it. It's as simple as gaming gets. I'd suggest you probably don't get it, though.

Who have you spoken to though? people on rllmuk are hardly indicative of the gaming public.

The 12 or so people who bought crackdown on release day and traded it in a week later claiming that it was just boring because they wern't sure what to do, or that said it was fun, but it got boring quickly, would disagree with you.

To say that I don't get it is missing the point slightly, the people who made the game didn't "get" it.

GTA is popular and it works, you can pick up missions whenever you like and you can mess about as much as you like, crackdown misses out the vital aspect of being able to choose missions, it wouldn't have been difficult to have been given that option, thus broadening the appeal of the game.

Thread in Summary:

The PS3 is shit.

No it's not.

Neither of the big 3 has anything going for it at the moment.

Crackdown is shit.

No it's not.

Anyone who likes the PS3 is a fanboy apologist.

The usual PS3 naysers naysaying

The usual Xbox 360 naysayers naysaying.

It's GAMEFAQS!

Reads like every PS3 thread really. Rather sad really, I'm sure Rllmuk used to feature mature discussions.

Logical progression: -

1. Take out the gang leaders in Los Muertos. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

2. Take out the gang leaders in the Volk. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

3. Take out the gang leaders in Shai-Gen. That weakens the Kingpin. Then take him out.

Of course, the beauty is you don't have to do it this way. If you're good enough, you can take the Shai-Gen's Kingpin before anybody else. Or you can spend your time hunting for orbs and completing street races to build your abilities before you attempt to take anybody out. It's up to you. If that's too confusing for you, then I'd suggest that you do want your hand held.

But what is the point of doing so? that kind of dynamic works in a game like NFS where all you do is drive, it makes sense, you win races, you do the big race, you unlock the next island, but how quickly does that get dull?

You can't claim that I am wrong, nor can you start calling me an idiot for not loving a game that you do, and if you are intent on doing so to win some pointless internet argument then I really don't see any point in me posting.

I would love it, if one day discussion was actualy a place for discussions, and not for people to show off their skills in arguing.

I'm not told what to do though, I just get a constant flow of useless information.

I drive along a bit and it says "agent, theres a supply point near, go to it" but then I can't get to it because I can't jump high enough, and then I do get to it and I run around and I kill some people, then I run around again and kill some more, then I have to walk backwards and forwards until the next lot spawn so I know what direction to go in, and then I kill some more, and then I kill the boss and then I am back where I started.

I drive along and I get told that theres a race here, a supply point there, a boss to kill here, but none of it is in any order, its not structured, theres no flow, theres no logical progression.

Its the difference between giving a band sheet music, or just giving them instruments, fair enough they can make some great music but it would be better if they were playing a concert.

Depends on what they were after I guess. If they wanted to play a complex, complicated piece of music, then yeah, definitely. If they wanted to noodle around by themselves, having fun and improvising, then sheet music wouldn't be any good for them.

But I guess we're not going to agree, and this isn't the thread to argue about it (or discuss it, however you want to describe what we're doing). I like it, you don't. We can agree that it isn't a killer app though.

PS3 is a waste of a purchase at the moment, IMO, because of the enormous price tag. Early adoption is great and all, but there's just not enough on the system to warrant buying it. It was the same with the 360 for the first eight months. I bought a Wii early, but that was only because I got a big discount on it, and it was comparitavely cheap to begin with. If I'd had to pay £400 for it, I'd be absolutely furious right now. As it is, I'm happy to occasionally mess around on Kororinpa, Excite Truck and Wii Sports and leave the console dormant the rest of the time while I wait for decent games to come out.

The 12 or so people who bought crackdown on release day and traded it in a week later claiming that it was just boring because they wern't sure what to do, or that said it was fun, but it got boring quickly, would disagree with you.

Please. No.

Yes, I know you work in a GAME Gaz, but your experiences at work are not indicative of the nation. Besides, I'm not sure I even believe that 12 people came up to you personally to return the title stating "it was fun, but it got boring quickly." I think you're talking crap, and that's you saying that. But, never mind all that, I really don't give a shite about your work anecdotes.

Having spoken to you before about Crackdown, I know you've not given it a chance. You told me yourself that, up until a week or so ago, you'd only played on it for half an hour and you really didn't know what you were doing. Does this mean I take your criticisms especially seriously? Not really, no. If you gave it a proper play for an hour or two, that confusion would disappear entirely, and you'd just have a laugh fucking about.

But isn't a big contributory factor the continued success and sales of the PS2? Sony could be a large competitor to the PS3 themselves?

That said I still think the PS3 will come good; its just a matter of it reaching a tipping point especially in Japan. Whether thats down to a massively sought after game (FFXIII maybe) or suddenly everyone in Japan getting large LCD TVs and wanting blue ray or whatever, its only a matter of time.

I know I'll be getting one...... once I have first got a decent TV and can then afford a PS3. I don't have a 360 or expect to get one so its definitely not the 360 holding me back.

EDIT: Talking about the PS3 by the way, not Crackdown

Crackdown sold over 500,000 copies worldwide over its first month on sale. How did you decide on the figure 12?

OH LOOK LETS PICK UP ON A SEMANTIC POINT AND USE IT TO SAY SOMEONE IS WRONG.

I was talking about in the shop where I work.

We were agreeing, crackdown isn't a killer app because people don't get it.

In that case there is no such thing as a killer app as there isn't a single game in history that everyone likes. Which is essentially what you are saying about Crackdown.

Hell most people I know hate Halo and that is tauted as the Xbox killer app.

Perhaps you should stop having kittens worrying about whether people are talking about Crackdown in this thread or not.

I'm going to head over to the Crackdown thread and start talking about how great GTAIV is going to be. :wacko:

In that case there is no such thing as a killer app as there isn't a single game in history that everyone likes. Which is essentially what you are saying about Crackdown.

Hell most people I know hate Halo and that is tauted as the Xbox killer app.

Correction: It's marketed as the killer app. There's an obvious difference.

Latest PLAYSTATION®3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation®, PlayStation®2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP™(PlayStation®Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically1 enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set. Not only are DVD movies enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements includes the ability to print photo images stored on PS3's hard disk drive or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers via USB connection.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

Please. No.

Yes, I know you work in a GAME Gaz, but your experiences at work are not indicative of the nation. Besides, I'm not sure I even believe that 12 people came up to you personally to return the title stating "it was fun, but it got boring quickly." I think you're talking crap, and that's you saying that. But, never mind all that, I really don't give a shite about your work anecdotes.

Having spoken to you before about Crackdown, I know you've not given it a chance. You told me yourself that, up until a week or so ago, you'd only played on it for half an hour and you really didn't know what you were doing. Does this mean I take your criticisms especially seriously? Not really, no. If you gave it a proper play for an hour or two, that confusion would disappear entirely, and you'd just have a laugh fucking about.

So now I'm a liar am I?

My point isn't that I AM RIGHT or that YOU ARE WRONG.

My work anecdotes give balance, you can go on believing that opinions on here count for something if you wish, but they don't, no more than my anecdotes do, the point of the anecdotes is that there is a different viewpoint out there, one which you refuse to see.

Since speaking to you about crackdown, and lamenting the exact same things that I have mentioned here, I have gone on to play it quite a bit more, and it still has the same crucial problems.

I havn't once said that it is a bad game, in fact I havn't even said that it isn't a great game, my only point, and I am going to re-iterate this for you as many times as possible so that it sinks in..

Crackdown is not a killer app.

For what it's worth, my PS3 is currently playing host to Final Fantasy VIII and IX. I've finished Resistance, Motorstorm is pretty good but it's not really my cuppa. Also I went on the store today, where the hell is...anything? It's pretty barebones at the mo. I'm still glad I bought it. Oh, and Crackdown is ace :wacko:

A 'killer app' in console terms is a game that sells a lot of machines. The Wii has a killer app in Wii Sports. The 360 might have one in Halo 3. The PS3 clearly doesn't have one yet.

Yeah I agree with that, but Gaz was postualting that Crackdown isn't a killer app as 'some' people don't 'get it' or don't like it. This applies to every game in history.

I overheard a Sony rep in my local Gamestation yesterday, he said something along the lines of ....

"Yeah, it'll be better nearer Christmas when I'll have 4 or 5 games to show you." Then he went on at length about Blu Ray disk capacity and Pro Evo 7 already at 17gb and GTA 4 being cut down to fit on DVD. He continued highlighting this advantage that the PS3 has over the 360 at length. He then proceeded to rip into the Wii, even slagging off it's "kinda stupid" name. He had nothing interesting to say about games for the PS3 at all.

That wasn't a Sony rep, it was Phil Harrison.