The Simpsons

dam_aks

Anyone watch it? In the states they had a double bill new episode showing on Sunday. The second of which was the 400th episode.

Both sucked big time and I thought some of the episodes this season have been fairly funny...

As much as I love Simpsons, it just needs to die out now.

Theres been a steady decline in quality since around Season 13 and it doesent show any signs of stopping.

Releasing the film at the end of the current season would a be a perfect way to wrap everything up, but theres little chance of that happening.

I thought the same, but it has picked up this last series, I thought the 2 new ones were pretty good, the Kent Brockman one especially had a couple of laughs. It'll never get back to the glory days, what really needed is the writers going back to a consistant storyline rather than jumping all over the place.

However I dread to think what the film is going to be like, the only time they gone over 20minutes was the Who Shot Mr Burns double bill. South Park pulled it off with a muscial, but I really hope the simpsons don't go this route. It's going to be like 4 episodes put together.

It'll never get back to the glory days, what really needed is the writers going back to a consistant storyline rather than jumping all over the place.

glory days - season 1 and bits of 2 imo, after that it fell into random stuff with the townsfolk

South Park pulled it off with a muscial, but I really hope the simpsons don't go this route. It's going to be like 4 episodes put together.

South Park also did stuff they couldn't do on TV, mainly swear, but I don't think the Simpsons will go down that road either.

yes, they are the best, and tbh the only ones people can clearly remember the plots of

why were they so bad in comparison to the stuff after that then?

The animation is very poor between the keyframes in Season One. The plots are funny but nowhere near the "every-line-a-joke" philosophy of later years.

The animation is very poor between the keyframes in Season One. The plots are funny but nowhere near the "every-line-a-joke" philosophy of later years.

Doesn't matter, and doesn't matter. It had heart.

The Simpsons has been dragged through the mud for years now. Matt Groening can never be forgiven for not putting a stop to it.

Doesn't matter, and doesn't matter. It had heart.

The Simpsons has been dragged through the mud for years now. Matt Groening can never be forgiven for not putting a stop to it.

I can appreciate your ire, it's got to the stage where I launch into a tedious and, probably, pompous disclaimer when anyone asks me if I like The Simpsons where I explain that I liked it very much before it became etc etc, and I usually end up getting so worked up about it that the conversation ends with a nervous chuckle on the other person's behalf and their speedy changing of the subject.

Like a few others I hope the movie means an end to it all, but that's a folorn hope.

As much as I love Simpsons, it just needs to die out now.

Very true.

I adore the old Simpsons and when it started getting tired Futurama started. The quality of that show prooves Matt Groening has the talent to make great animation so I have high hopes he'll start a new show...

I remember when I was about 16 and hearing that they were very seriously considering making the 200th episode the last one and I thought it was the worst news ever. In retrospect it would have been one of the best decisions they could have made.

400th episode... there's more crap shows that good ones now, right? Such a shame, really.

I actually think they might pull it off with the film. It looks like they're going with "epic" which would probably stop it from just being like a string of episodes. I have the feeling, though, that people will already have their face set against it and not give it a chance.

Oh, and Season 1 was just awful. Not proper Simpsons.

The Simpsons is just too light these days. And always had been, but it has really grated for the last few years. The show is the best part of 20 years old for christ sake and the formula has not changed in all that time. Nothing can stay fresh and new for 20 years, people have an inbuilt tendency to get bored with things that become too familiar, to inspire us to seek out new things instead.

I actually think they might pull it off with the film. It looks like they're going with "epic" which would probably stop it from just being like a string of episodes. I have the feeling, though, that people will already have their face set against it and not give it a chance.

Oh, and Season 1 was just awful. Not proper Simpsons.

Bart the Genius

There's No Disgrace Like Home

Bart the General

Moaning Lisa

The Call of the Simpsons

Homer's Night Out

The Telltale Head

Life in the Fast Lane

These episodes are The Simpsons. You have characters you can believe in. Real-world problems. Pathos. Heart. These stories were Matt Groening's vision of The Simpsons. It was supposed to be a shrewd cartoon that mirrored life in an exaggerated fashion, yet still kept its feet on the ground. What came after isn't The Simpsons. It's a really bad impression.

Season 1 of The Simpsons is, I think, some of the smartest, most on-point episodes of anything that's ever been produced. The impact it made was just gob-smacking. I was only 8 when it first aired, but I still remember it so well. It's not just nostalgia talking when I say that nothing has created such a buzz, such excitment. 'The Call of the Simpsons' was certainly the first time I'd heard a genuine laugh from my dad while he watched a cartoon. It was then that I realised that it was television that everyone could enjoy. It captures all that fear and happiness and energy of being 10. It was so honest and so... urgent. A true product of our generation.

Soon after that, it became just another 'wacky' cartoon with over-the-top characters and in-jokes that betray the frustration of the teams. The biggest fall from grace that I've been unfortunate enough to witness. :)

I've been a fan of The Simpsons since it aired and I pretty much agree with Hoop.

If the first season had sweet animation and aired today I'd be popular. The more recent series are just living off the popularity of the old stuff.

I do however really believe that the first 150 or so episodes are pretty generally brilliant.

Right now, it feels like a bad version of Family Guy. Has done for some time. Which is mental.

I actually think things have come full circle with so many people calling for the end of The Simpsons that it's become good again with the writing team coming up trumps overall this year.

Folks who don't really follow the show anymore have just adopted the accepted viewpoint to bash it becuase the most vocal of people have being calling for it's end for a few years now.

This series alone has had a crop of good episodes with a bit of a return to nice little simple concepts and plots

Fat Tony's son being introduced in the first show, some good Lisa jealousy stuff in the next, a really solid silly concept in Homer the carpenter turning things upside down, Nelson and Bart becoming pals that harked back to earlier years, The Dark Stanley escapade with strange Kafka animation and eerie muisc was brilliantly done, Homerazzi was funny, Homer and others being emergency firemen, Santa's Little Helper becoming a police dog, the last two shows were pretty good as well.

Anyway I still quite like it and despite the odd duffer or recycled plot it's easily better than most things out there even after 18 or so years.

I actually think things have come full circle with so many people calling for the end of The Simpsons that it's become good again with the writing team coming up trumps overall this year.

Folks who don't really follow the show anymore have just adopted the accepted viewpoint to bash it becuase the most vocal of people have being calling for it's end for a few years now.

This series alone has had a crop of good episodes with a bit of a return to nice little simple concepts and plots

Fat Tony's son being introduced in the first show, some good Lisa jealousy stuff in the next, a really solid silly concept in Homer the carpenter turning things upside down, Nelson and Bart becoming pals that harked back to earlier years, The Dark Stanley escapade with strange Kafka animation and eerie muisc was brilliantly done, Homerazzi was funny, Homer and others being emergency firemen, Santa's Little Helper becoming a police dog, the last two shows were pretty good as well.

Anyway I still quite like it and despite the odd duffer or recycled plot it's easily better than most things out there even after 18 or so years.

I always make sure I catch a newer episode every now and then, just to make sure. I don't want to bleat on, but while I do find myself laughing every now and then, and can understand how the pacing has improved etc etc, the characters just don't seem real. That's the deal breaker for me. It can have everything else going for it, but if I'm not believing in the characters, and hence rooting for them, then everything else surrounding them vanishes.

Bart the Genius

Bart the General

Moaning Lisa

The Call of the Simpsons

Homer's Night Out

The Telltale Head

Life in the Fast Lane

These episodes are The Simpsons. You have characters you can believe in. Real-world problems. Pathos. Heart. These stories were Matt Groening's vision of The Simpsons. It was supposed to be a shrewd cartoon that mirrored life in an exaggerated fashion, yet still kept its feet on the ground. What came after isn't The Simpsons. It's a really bad impression.

Season 1 of The Simpsons is, I think, some of the smartest, most on-point episodes of anything that's ever been produced. The impact it made was just gob-smacking. I was only 8 when it first aired, but I still remember it so well. It's not just nostalgia talking when I say that nothing has created such a buzz, such excitment. 'The Call of the Simpsons' was certainly the first time I'd heard a genuine laugh from my dad while he watched a cartoon. It was then that I realised that it was television that everyone could enjoy. It captures all that fear and happiness and energy of being 10. It was so honest and so... urgent. A true product of our generation.

Soon after that, it became just another 'wacky' cartoon with over-the-top characters and in-jokes that betray the frustration of the teams. The biggest fall from grace that I've been unfortunate enough to witness. :)

I appreciate all that, and I admit I loved them when I was younger.

It's just that in retrospect, most of them really aren't very funny. Good Simpsons episodes I can watch five, ten times. Series 1 always seems really, really stale.

And to be fair, while it's undoubtedly had a downturn, it's not in any way "just another wacky cartoon". It's always going to come off badly compared with its previous form, but it's years ahead of the shite that is Family Guy, say.

The graph for 'heart' starts at the top with season 1, stays steady until season 5 where it drops at a steady rate until reaching 0 at about season 10, where it bumbles along. The graph for 'funnies' starts low in season 1, climbs until season 4 where it peaks and stays there until season 8 where it drops steadily until season 10 where it's slightly lower then when it started.

I've made a rough graph:

Red is heart

Green is funnies

Blue is overall

simpgraphnj0.png

And that's the end of that chapter.

Bart the Genius

Bart the General

Moaning Lisa

The Call of the Simpsons

Homer's Night Out

The Telltale Head

Life in the Fast Lane

Guess what, the Simpsons, like most creative works, evolved as it went along. Sometimes it was for the better and sometimes for the worse. It couldn't have stayed where it was as it would have gotten stale in 3-4 years.