"Metroidvania" games

25 minutes ago, LongHairStu said:

I suppose such loathing is fair, but - as the article opens with, and notwithstanding the 10 year old conversation further up the thread - its fairly well ingrained in the vernacular now, and does a pretty good job of creating the right sort of expectations. How do you feel about portmanteaus generally?

Generally, I don't mind. In this instance I guess I'm more bothered that it should be Metroid-like rather than Metroidvania and while I must admit I've not played that much early Castlevania but all those I did were pretty linear and it wasn't 'til SotN that it really became Metroid-like itself. Yeah, that's the source of it now I've thought about it. Possibly incorrect and undoubtedly irrational, but fuck it. I hate the term. 

It tells me everything I need to know about the game it’s used to describe, which is good enough for me because I love these type of games.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is a Metroidvania, layered with fighting and puzzle stealth rooms. Probably the best 3D representation of the genre, though I can’t think of any others at the moment.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Paulando said:

It tells me everything I need to know about the game it’s used to describe, which is good enough for me because I love these type of games.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is a Metroidvania, layered with fighting and puzzle stealth rooms. Probably the best 3D representation of the genre, though I can’t think of any others at the moment.

Metroid Prime, good sir.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 years later...

A look at some upcoming games in the genre. Quite a few interesting looking ones. Let's see how many actually make it to release. 

1: Vernal Edge - 0:28

2: Virgil: The Longest Night - 1:27

3: Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - 2:28

4: Clunky Hero - 3:41

5: Eastern Exorcist - 4:37

6: The Last Faith - 5:50

7: Smelter - 6:54

8: Ghost Song - 8:11

9: Foregone - 8:59

10: Endless Memories - 9:49

11: Outpost Delta - 10:36

12: Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - 11:38

13: Flynn: Son of Crimson - 12:41

14: Rubi: The Wayward Mira - 14:31

15: Trollhunters Defenders of Arcadia - 15:34

16: SteamDolls - Order Of Chaos - 16:05

17: Hollow Knight: Silksong - 16:43

18: Transmute - 18:39

19: The Cork - 20:00

20: Bushiden - 21:05

21: Charge Blade Hero - 23:14

22: Gleamlight - 24:05

23: Anew: The Distant Light - 24:46

24: Haiku, the Robot - 27:55

25: Dreamless: The Madness from the Sea - 28:46

• Upvote 1

No Cyber Shadow ?! :quote:

There's so many of the blighters these days. And since most of them take up a fair chunk of one's time, I tend to stick to the classics. A Switch with Bloodstained, La-Mulana 1 & 2, and Shinsenkai should keep me occupied for quite some time.

I asked in the Game Pass thread but no one seemed to know, but is Timespinner worth a go before it gets removed in a couple of weeks? 

I posted in that thread and forgot all about it. :lol:

I might actually give it a miss for now, as I ran through SotN again recently and I'm looking for something a bit different in my Metroidvania right now. Ideally it'll get a nice discount for the Switch version in a few months when I'm ready for it.

On 04/07/2020 at 03:18, merrychan said:

I read on Twitter recently that Metroidvania games are described as Search Action in Japan and I so hope this is true and if not that's fine too

Arguably, it translates more as "Investigative Action," but even then it's debatable whether the term is as widespread as Metroidvania. Metroid games are described as "side-scrolling action games” and SOTN and subsequent games, "action RPGs”.

I was thinking recently that it probably wouldn’t make sense for the Japanese to call them Metroidvanias, since they don’t even call Castlevania ‘Castlevania’. I did wonder what they’d call the genre. Akumetrōidracula or something.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I was thinking recently that it probably wouldn’t make sense for the Japanese to call them Metroidvanias, since they don’t even call Castlevania ‘Castlevania’. I did wonder what they’d call the genre. Akumetrōidracula or something.

DraculaMetroid I am hoping

• Upvote 1