Atari Jaguar

alex

I've got a working boxed Jaguar and a working boxed JagCd too. Bought them both for 25 in Gamestation a few years ago. Haven't got that many games and really want Rayman but not willing to pay the stupid prices it sells for now

Picked up a loose Ultra Vortek cart for £35 through CEX, they have strangely become a good little resource for cheap carts online when they get them in. I traded in some stuff I'd picked up at the car boots for pennies and had a credit note. Probably paid less that £15 cash

Just defender and Atari karts I think left for me. I can make custom cases for loose carts easily enough and my games are meant to be played, not stuck on a shelf

18 minutes ago, SeanR said:

CEX jaguar prices are weird...

Yeah they are all over the place. Loose carts got for a pittance, even the rarer titles. Common boxed stuff is pricey. 

They had an unboxed flashback for £18, Bubsy for £12. They sell defender for £15 loose when in stock. Keeping and eye out for it. Empty boxes turn up on eBay to complete them. Also realised N64 box inserts with one small cut will fit a Jag cart and go in a Jag box

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

As a tangent, wasn't the Jaguar designed as a replacement for the ST/TT/Falcon computers, rather than a games console? Presumably its 68000 was included for backwards compatibility with the ST?

that can't be true can it? I mean, what about the Panther?

I don't think so.  The scrapped Panther had been planned as an 'ST console' to compete with the MD and SNES. The 68000 in the Jag was meant to be used as a controller chip for other stuff, rather than for backwards compatibility as far as I know. Just an extra chip to free up the 32-bit GPU and DSP's from having to do things that could be done by a 68000. It's actually a nice idea, but became a big part of the Jag's undoing. I don't think there's ever been any suggestion of ST compatibility being a design thought.

• 2 months later...
On 03/07/2018 at 18:30, Lorfarius said:

Are some of those sealed?

Oh good god no bar one (mutant penguins). I've put the cardboard boxed ones into protective cases, 20+ year old cardboard boxes aren't gonna last without some help. 

Any loose carts I've made up replacement boxes using a universal game case and printed out a replacement cover. 

I've been hunting deals on eBay and CEX online using trade credit so I've not spent all that much really. The Jag was always this weird machine I lusted after, much like the Amiga cd32.

Now I own both in the space of a year!

Edit : And now a GX4000!

I'd rather play them than just have them sit there sealed like a trophy.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

The flash cart delay is moidering me.  I wish I hadn't sold all those games! :(

I miss playing on my Jag.

me too! I just boxed up the last few titles that where laying around.

WP_20180721_002.thumb.jpg.7fb239e087b1a532b724776064f62f19.jpg

everything is in the garage now...

Surprisingly enough, the CEX website came good with unboxed AvP and DOOM, and boxed Tempest, Iron Soldier and Wolfenstein for £120. Cheap as chips in the world of Jag collecting. I mean, £15 for a DOOM cart is unheard of on eBay. Five good reasons to fire up the Jag between now and the flash cart. I’d still like Burnout and Power Drive but the chances of those two cropping up cheap and cart-only are slim to none.

• 2 weeks later...