Obscure & Cult Japanese Games & Their Boxart

femax

Never played it but I remember the Kama series doing well in the Bic Camera sales charts when it was released.

kama2.jpg

The fact that Sakura Wars games almost never get a Western release always boggles my mind considering what a phenomenon they are in Japan.

Here's the boxart for number 5:

cover-12.jpg

Personally, I think the DDP Dai-ou-jou artwork is far lovelier than the Mushi and the Ibara stuff.

I'd give a bollock for the full-size poster.

Maybe not.

dojposter.JPG

The sub-title means "Peaceful Death", which is reflected rather nicely here. :(

Edit: sorry, didn't realise this had already been linked to.

5z4mbtg.jpg

A PC game? I might try to get hold of this, is it rare?

It's a PC game, and it's out of stock at paletweb.com but you can request a copy from them. If you're still in Japan you can order it from here (and the 3 expansion packs too), and it should be in any doujin games shop.

It's definitely worth the money if you have a control pad and/or a couple of friends to play co-op with, or if you just love parrying things and executing huge

combos.

edit: and for those of you who don't want to spend a few minutes googling "victor boku ps2" and clicking pages at random, that game Cacophanus posted further up the page is called Boku wa Chiisai.

I'm not sure if the games i've listed on page 3 are easy for westerners to play, as i've never played them. (i was just listing my favorite boxarts)

Yoshinoya, Densha, Ibara, etc.. are all fine though.

It's a PC game, and it's out of stock at paletweb.com but you can request a copy from them. If you're still in Japan you can order it from here (and the 3 expansion packs too), and it should be in any doujin games shop.

It's definitely worth the money if you have a control pad and/or a couple of friends to play co-op with, or if you just love parrying things and executing huge

combos.

edit: and for those of you who don't want to spend a few minutes googling "victor boku ps2" and clicking pages at random, that game Cacophanus posted further up the page is called Boku wa Chiisai.

Wait a tick - MELON BOOKS?? I thought that was just a hentai store - there's a branch nextdoor to the non-hentai anime store in my city.

I've never actually been inside; my students frequent the area and there's stuff tantamount to a morality clause in my contract; if I was spotted going in I could get fired.

I always assumed it was purely a hentai store from the posters on the outside.

Wait a tick - MELON BOOKS?? I thought that was just a hentai store - there's a branch nextdoor to the non-hentai anime store in my city.

I've never actually been inside; my students frequent the area and there's stuff tantamount to a morality clause in my contract; if I was spotted going in I could get fired.

I always assumed it was purely a hentai store from the posters on the outside.

Melon Books are big doujin shop, so they should sell some doujin games in addition to a billion fanmade comics of Haruhi raping Mikuru or whatever. I tend to say this every time indie/doujin games are mentioned here, but you should consider buying anything by Twilight Frontier, Platine Dispositif, or Team Shanghai Alice (Platine Dispositif and Shanghai Alice have free demos of their games on their sites). Samidare is another great doujin game, probably one of my favourite shooters of all time, but it seems to be pretty hard to get hold of.

Isn't it really heavy on the Jap text though?

namco x capcom is quite text heavy for the actual story.

in the actual game i got used to it quite quckly. its all just moving characters around and choosing attacks. i found it pretty simple in strategy terms, and quite hard to actually lose a battle. it does take a very long time though, but its great seeing all those different characters come together.

initial D is another great import. one of my favourite games ever.

hardly obscure, but it does divide opinion.

1204780546.jpg

also available on psp, but the ps2 version has more tracks and story modes which follow the manga

aset9.png

This is a massive barrage arcade shooter where you play a cute girl out to stop birds and dinosaurs. You can shoot eggs as well as punch the enemies. You also have a prayer power which acts like a smart bomb, attacking everything on the screen at once. In this trial version, you can play only one stage and only one player.

A note about punching: punching an enemy causes the enemy to be blown back (standard Punch) or up and back (the Uppercut). An enemy so hit can hit other enemies as well as block enemy shots. When an enemy hits another enemy, a chain hit can occur, creating massive point accumulation and releasing items for every enemy destroyed.

A note about the impact gauge: The impact gauge in the upper corner is a score multiplier. The gauge increases for each enemy destroyed and is reset when the player is hit.

A note about chaining: collect the items that appear when a number of enemies are destroyed. For each item collected, the score doubles up to a maximum of 16 times, starting at 100 points. If an item escapes the screen, the score chain is reset to 100.

1102909610airradeair2df7.png

Playable Demo (PC)

namco x capcom is quite text heavy for the actual story.

in the actual game i got used to it quite quckly. its all just moving characters around and choosing attacks. i found it pretty simple in strategy terms, and quite hard to actually lose a battle. it does take a very long time though, but its great seeing all those different characters come together.

initial D is another great import. one of my favourite games ever.

hardly obscure, but it does divide opinion.

1204780546.jpg

also available on psp, but the ps2 version has more tracks and story modes which follow the manga

It does divide. I'm a MASSIVE Initial D fan, and await with bated breath the announcement of series five - but I never got along with the game. I expected something more like Ridge Racer.

g11011x8vx8bh3.jpg

Zero Gunner 2 is a 2D scrolling shooter developed by Psikyo as a sequel to Zero Gunner, the original arcade game. It was released for the Dreamcast in Japan in 2001.

One or two players can take their pick of three helicopters, each with their own firing pattern and battle oncoming waves of enemies through 7 different stages, each with a boss at the end. Each boss has a different form at the beginning, such as a train, boat, airplane, or submarine, but after the players have inflicted enough damage, it turns into a giant robot. After the players destroy the robot, the stage ends and they progress on to the new stage. There are 9 modes of difficulty, ranging from "Child", where enemies fire little to none when fired upon to "Very Hard", where enemies fire at almost any given moment.

The game is particularly innovative by including a way to rotate the helicopter in 360 degrees, allowing the player to fire in any direction. Most of the time this is required to survive, as enemies not only come from the top of the screen, but the left, right, and bottom as well. Like other scrolling shooters, the game makes use of power-ups to improve a helicopter's firepower. Each player also has a "Special" Bar, which slowly rises whenever players collect the little "E" icons from destroyed enemies. Every time the bar fills, the player has an opportunity to unleash their helicopter's special attack which often is capable of destroying every enemy on the screen.

This game is very rare and sought after on auction sites after only being released on Sega Dreamcast and Naomi.

the FEAR on PS2 is pretty cool. It's an FMV game across 4 DVDs, and if you like FMV games, it's awesome.

Badly written review, by me, on NTSC-uk:

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform...mp;game=theFEAR

I reckon if Western FMV games had been of this quality, the genre would have survived. The gameplay is actually more advanced than say... Pheonix Wright, or something similar. Except of course, it uses lovely film footage.

Like CAVE shooters?, then get this....

bluewishrestitleag6.jpg

bluewishresscr1ca7.jpgbluewishresscr2ya7.jpg

This PC game is a free to the public (never been released commercially), but is just like most CAVE shooters like Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou. I love setting this up to my projector (i know its cheating a bit) and X-arcade controller. Bullet hell fun!

Download (go to Game in the left menu)