I've never watched The Wire

Rex Grossman

Amazon.com has the R1 release of Season 5 down for August 12, and Amazon.co.uk has the R2 release down for September 22, which would be just after FX finishes showing it.

Whens Season 5 due to start on FX. I've watched them all to date on DVD, so don't how hard it's going to be to be restricted to weekly rations.

There was a bit in The Economist about Baltimore, saying it's not quite as bad as you're lead to believe, interestingly thou the real gangs have a "Don't Snitch" T-shirt/DVD to encourage people not to.

Apparently the city is very much divided down the middle with West Baltimore(what we see on the show) isolated away from the rest.

Loads of Baltimorean fans of the show post here.

It's an interesting read.

Spoilers about the last episode:

Am I the only one who saw Marlo as an anonymous corner dealer at the beginning of the final montage? I've been reading up on people's opinions of the episode, and nobody else seemed to notice that. Like everyone else in this topic, I watched the .avi rip which doesn't show a lot of detail, but I really thought it was him.

Am I the only one who saw Marlo as an anonymous corner dealer at the beginning of the final montage? I've been reading up on people's opinions of the episode, and nobody else seemed to notice that. Like everyone else in this topic, I watched the .avi rip which doesn't show a lot of detail, but I really thought it was him.

You mean this guy(second from left)? Kinda looks like him, I guess. Too hard to tell at this resolution, though.

I'm pretty certain that's not him. I think they'd have played it up more if it was, and it wouldn't make any sense anyway (he could never go back to the corners, surely).

Marlo

is just a name, really. Was he ever visible on the streets? To me it made perfect sense: in his last scene he walks out of a room full of squares, wanders the streets and provokes a couple of guys on a corner just to prove he still can, then there's that look of exhilaration on his face and he says 'Yeah...' while grinning.

Just finished S2. Riveting stuff. It has little moments of awkwardness that burst the bubble (generally involving Omar, unfortunately, cos I loved him in the first season - he's like a superhero now) and it was a bit ham fisted in its imagery towards the end when it had been so wonderfully subtle throughout (the turning of the docker into a drug dealer was 100% plausible and easy to sympathise with) but it was a fantastic watch.

Finished season 4 a couple of nights ago. God I'm going to miss those kids. What a brilliant season. And Omar is still the motherfucking king.

Plot spoiler

I could actually feel the tears coming when Bodie was shot :lol: can't believe it, he was one of my favourite characters.

The wait for season 5 on dvd is going to be faaaaaaar too long. Time for downloads methinks.

Yeah, Omar is the best.

Loved the bit in S4 when he

was sent to prison and those guys cornered him in his cell.

Omar puts up his fists to go down fighting.

I genuinely thought that was the end of him.

But they had been sent to protect him B)

And then later he

makes himself body armour out of telephone directories and shanks his attacker in the arse.

Amazing, amazing stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished series 4 in a binge on Friday night - its hopeless, I always try to ration the episodes out but have no self-control.

Best season yet by far. You wait with baited breath to see what will happen to your favourite characters, particularly those who are trying to do the right thing.

Finished series 4 in a binge on Friday night - its hopeless, I always try to ration the episodes out but have no self-control.

I am watching on F/X but also have the DVD box-set. It is very hard to resist. The kids in S4 are just amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought *exactly* the same thing.

Just done with season five. The weakest by far, but still awesome viewing.

I would rate best to worse as:

Season 2

Season 1

Season 4

Season 3

Season 5

4 and 1 are interchangeable tho ;)

im gonna miss it :D

A warning for anyone planning to buy Season 4, it's in a slimline case so it looks ridiculous next to the 'book' style of the other three seasons. Of course this may not matter to quite a few people, but as I like to display my titles it had me spitting blood at such a stupid decision.

I just finished S4, I can't deny I'm disappointed. I had reservations from the off cos kids just aren't as interesting as adults, but was certainly enjoying it until things took a nose dive mid season. It got cliched and predictable and really didn't end in a very satisfying way. Marlow Stanfield too just was a cartoon compared to the complexity of Avon and String. A big disappointment frankly, not sure I'm going to bother checking out 5, think I'll just watch 2 again.