Edge 177 - Who Dares Wins

Beertiger

I guess it's just me then!

I bought that Judge Dredd FPS, thinking that because I love the Judge I would enjoy even a basic shoot-em-up.

It just depressed me.

So it's not just you.

The idea that playing a shit game is somehow more fun because you love the franchise is thoroughly depressing and would seem a green light for developers not to bother trying to capture the feel of the licence or even make it quite good.

Oh...they do that already.

Cobra on the Spectrum's good, film's appaling though. Perhaps it works in reverse?

I bought that Judge Dredd FPS, thinking that because I love the Judge I would enjoy even a basic shoot-em-up.

It just depressed me.

So it's not just you.

Phew.

Also, I'd forgotten about those games. I like 2000ad, so that's an example of a franchise I'm 'in to' which has had some video games made recently. I didn't have any interest in the games at all as I knew they'd only annoy or disappoint me (although I don't really play FPS games).

I battled through the entirety of Futurama just because I love the show. At times it was worth it for the cut-scenes, but by god is there a shit game underneath.

A love of the source material won't hide that.

Ouch. I love Futurama and tried to play the game, but it was so bad that I just couldn't bear to play more than a couple of hours before giving up.

I dunno. In Pirates of the Caribbean you're being Captain Jack Sparrow, jumping around and sword-fighting. In Spider-man, you're being Spider-Man, swining around New York. Even the Superman Returns game had you doing things Superman does, flying and using laser vision and ice breath and stuff.

In the Futurama game you were just jumping around collecting stuff, in a skin that happened to be Futurama-themed. There's no real wish fulfillment there.

I avoided watching the From Hell movie even when it was on TV (I'll probably never watch this, although I almost certainly would have just because of the cast if I didn't know about the comic)

I've never had any interest in the movie, but Eddie Campbell has blogged about it several times, comparing stills to panels and commenting favourably on certain aspects (here's an example). I expect he's more amused by the film than anything else.

His blog has a number of posts in which he quotes the script of a From Hell page and reminisces about drawing it - well worth a look if you like the book, though you will most likely lose a day's work to the thing.

I really don't think the mauling it's getting critically is out of place. It's taken everything from Spider-Man 2, made it worse, and then slightly tarted up the graphics. And the only good thing about Spider-Man 2 was the swinging physics. I'd agree 3 seems a little harsh, but, well, they should have made a better game. They deserve a 3 just for effort.

Well we've covered this in the Spiderman 3 thread, suffice to say I still believe that whilst the swinging is marginally less satisfying than Spiderman 2, and the bosses and camera needed work, the in-game missions are leagues ahead, sporting significantly more variety and are just more fun to do - and the graphics are certainly more than "slightly tarted up", New York looks fantastic.

There's nothing which comes close to the galling Statue of Liberty Boss in Spiderman 2 either, and in general, the game makes the best use of QTE outside of God Of War 2.

A five I'd disagree with, but could at least understand the rationale behind such a decision. A 3 just smacks of some sort of punishment to be honest. I'm certainly not holding it up as some shining example of a great game, but aside from a notable few moments, I had a great time with it.

Phew.

Also, I'd forgotten about those games. I like 2000ad, so that's an example of a franchise I'm 'in to' which has had some video games made recently. I didn't have any interest in the games at all as I knew they'd only annoy or disappoint me (although I don't really play FPS games).

so you missed rogue trooper? Man you really missed out there.

In another writer's script you will read that 'it is raining', but In Alan Moore's you may read that the precipitation falls 'like morse code for some huge, depressing Russian novel'.

Brilliant. Cheers, Rowan.

The idea that playing a shit game is somehow more fun because you love the franchise is thoroughly depressing and would seem a green light for developers not to bother trying to capture the feel of the licence or even make it quite good.

Oh...they do that already.

But we're not talking about shit games, obviously shit is as shit does. We're talking about so so games that are slightly better because of the subject matter.

Brilliant. Cheers, Rowan.

Campbell's blog is far and away my favourite one, and it's a mine of From Hell nuggets. There's a great anecdote about Moore writing in a script that Gull travels home across a bridge that was only half-built at the time of the story - Campbell sends back a photo of the construction work, adding a little horse and cart plummeting off the end into the Thames with a "yaaaargh!" balloon. See also Moore's comments on the time Campbell forgot to draw Abberline's head - they're somewhere in the Sim / Moore From Hell Letters. He keeps coming back to it with cheap digs, it's great fun:

On the matter of what has been viewed in some quarters as an untoward wordiness in my panel descriptions, might I draw your attention to the final volume of From Hell, specifically to page two, panel five of our epilogue, The Old Men On The Shore. In the script description for this panel I unfortunately allowed myself a moment of laxity and omitted the words "INSPECTOR ABBERLINE’S HEAD IS STILL ON HIS SHOULDERS DURING THIS PANEL. IT HAS NOT RETREATED TORTOISE-LIKE INTO HIS NECK, NOR HAS IT IN SOME FASHION MANAGED TO REFRACT LIGHT AROUND IT LIKE A KLINGON SPACESHIP SO THAT THE INSPECTOR RESEMBLES SOMETHING OUT OF MAGRITTE WITH HIS BOWLER FLOATING THERE SUSPENDED ABOVE THE EMPTY COLLAR OF HIS COAT." Last time I’ll make that mistake, obviously.

But we're not talking about shit games, obviously shit is as shit does. We're talking about so so games that are slightly better because of the subject matter.

Sounds like semantics to me. So-so, crappy, average, playing something that wasn't up to scratch wouldn't be any better if I was my favourite character, just depressing.

Both because my beloved whoever was bolted on to a dodgy game, and because I had fallen for the cynical marketing of a licence to push out more easy-sell, shovelware. Licences work when the game can stand on its own two feet anyway.

Regardless, sticking a licence on a game obviously pushes sales. 'Ooh look, I'm Homer Simpson.' Kerching!

I like 2000ad, so that's an example of a franchise I'm 'in to' which has had some video games made recently. I didn't have any interest in the games at all as I knew they'd only annoy or disappoint me (although I don't really play FPS games).

And given that Rebellion, the developer, actually bought 2000AD, own all the IP outright, and have direct access to all the magazine staff they need, you'd think they'd be the one company to get the translation right.

Seem to be getting better - Rogue Trooper was generally well received, unlike Dredd.

Rogue Trooper was a very good game. Only slight let downs being average graphics and a far too easy "normal" difficulty level. Has lots of good ideas in it and in gameplay terms is superior to gears of war, imho of course.

plays well on 360 back compatibility (at least on my SDTV) and is well worth picking up cheap for any 2000AD fans (or general 3rd person shooter fans).

Play it on hard difficulty though.

Sounds like semantics to me. So-so, crappy, average, playing something that wasn't up to scratch wouldn't be any better if I was my favourite character, just depressing.

Come on there's clearly a difference between an average game and a crappy game. Too almost like for like comparisons would be Just Cause, a fairly playable title compared to Boiling Point which was a broken mess.

Come on there's clearly a difference between an average game and a crappy game. Too almost like for like comparisons would be Just Cause, a fairly playable title compared to Boiling Point which was a broken mess.

Like I said a title has to be good in its own right.

You can make up your own mind as regards levels of crappy averageness. In my experience most times a game's described as average and I give it a go it is most certainly a bit crappy and finds itself in the out-box asap.

So I read the Final Fantasy article while at work, and while they made some good points, they also made some shit ones (shocking). Note: I don't have the article in front of me as I type this.

Yes, there are a ridiculous number coming out in the short-medium term, thats not really deniable. Of those games, 4 are remakes and 3 of those required remakes minimal extra development. Do we need remakes of these games? No, but sales suggest there is a market for them, and the fanbase certainly exists. I would have been sceptical of a FFIV remake, but the success of FFIII has made it forthcoming. It should be noted that I and II on psp were probably developed that company that does "silent" development work whose name I forget (that did the other versions), and 4 is being developed by an outside studio too (same one who did 3). Theres no way FF1 and FFII should have been seperate discs though, thats not really on.

Edge also imply that the spin offs such as Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo Tales devalue the franchise by having nothing to do with the other games. I think Edge have missed the point here, they already state in the article that the FF franchise is based on themes and common charateristics, and not necessarily specific sharing of game mechanics and such. But then these games have never tried to make themselves the core franchise - hence the subtitles they carry.

Ok fair enough, it's a broad article and it follows a typical edge template. But then they start being self important and making the assumption their review scores are supposed to be definitive. Naturally when mentioning Chocobo tales they give their 4/10 score. I've only played it for 20mins so I'll not start a silly rant about it being a low score etc. But it's blatantly a game for the kids, and Edge don't seem to have taken that into account and instead have the attitude of it being meant for us Adults as the core market :angry: Come to think of it, I don't know why edge bother reviewing games aimed at kids. The bit that got me was they go on about how they gave FFX a 6/10 and then state that everyone who gave it 9/10 is wrong.

Frankly I don't care where it came in famitsu's survey, but this is just Edge applying their stuck up attitude to reviews again. I've stated before that I don't read edge for the reviews, and I don't really want to start the same repetitive discussion about that. But their opinion flys in the face of everyone elses and what do they do? They call everyone else wrong. Hardly good journalism. Almost everyone other then edge was positive about it and Edge are in the noticeble minority, so whose more likely to be "wrong"?* For a five year old game, the only real complaints against it are still the voice acting , which frankly wasn't upto par on the part of some of the cast (Hedy Burress I'm looking at you!**). Christ, I've heard more complaints about FFVII then I have FFX.

*I can't think of a better term, sorry :(

** Who was much improved for X-2 it must be said

The bit that got me was they go on about how they gave FFX a 6/10 and then state that everyone who gave it 9/10 is wrong.

Yes, I didn't like that either. No matter what Edge thought of it, there are plenty of RPG fans who love FFX, which is an equally valid opinion. The rest of the article was excellent though, especially for me who has only really got into JRPGs recently (I only played FF7 a few years back).

Best issue in a long while, pity Guest and Crashlander are still there stinking the place up mind.

I think the Guest column is the worst that they have ever printed. In fact, I think all the columns are terrible. With the exception of Biffo.

Hopefully now that Guest has finished his book he'll fuck off. If I really wanted to know about the development of Minters lastest game I'd read his blog or visit his forum and the bloke in Japan rarely has anything interesting to say.

Biffo's column wins through by the sheer brilliance of his writing, but maybe he needs to ease off the Sony hate for a couple of months.

Hopefully when a new editor gets appointed then we'll see three new columnists.

Hopefully when a new editor gets appointed then we'll see three new columnists.

I certainly hope so. I really liked the last couple of issues but the columns let the magazine down. It's such a huge step backwards from the days of Redeye, Pool & Nagoshi. Especially Redeye, I just wish they'd bring him back but I realize it's never going to happen.

You see, I just don't understand why Edge spends so much time covering Second LIfe. It's not a game, It's a 3d chat room. And that's it.

It's not Like Final Fantasy, Warcraft, Everquest etc, where there is actually some kind of game in there.

Why not, instead of focusing on Second Life all the bloody time, report on the goings on in a different online game each month?

It's just so fucking dull.

You see, I just don't understand why Edge spends so much time covering Second LIfe. It's not a game, It's a 3d chat room. And that's it.

It's not Like Final Fantasy, Warcraft, Everquest etc, where there is actually some kind of game in there.

Why not, instead of focusing on Second Life all the bloody time, report on the goings on in a different online game each month?

It's just so fucking dull.

Kill, Grind, Kill, Grind, get new weapons, mine, grind, kill, kill.

Yes...