IGNORED

Mark Kermode

johnT

Have to agree. The waffle was too much for me. Took about 30 minutes if shit before any serious discussion was to be had. 

Trusted their reviews wholeheartedly though and the interviews were always great - I suspect that the press campaigns the actors etc. were on usually had a bit of respect for their podcast and knowledge. 

I knew this day would come when they kept going on about Skala radio all the time.

I have to agree though I loved the podcast but dropped of it so hard because of too much waffle. Now I just watch kermode’s reviews on YouTube. 

I used to listen to the full show for ages but last 2-3 years I've just gone and watched the reviews on youtube on friday afternoons. What's weird is, on top of that, I also watch the 15min BBC show on bbciplayer. Wonder if that's coming to an end too?

I think the problem was that as a live radio format it was perfectly good, and a cut above most other dross you’d hear on the radio. Fine to put on for a couple of hours while you’re doing something else.

But habits have changed, everything is downloaded or streamed as a podcast nowadays, and 1 1/2 hours of mediocre waffle mixed with half an hour of actual decent content just doesn’t work in that format.

Yeah, add me as another one who got very tired of the waffle. Also, Mark has become quite a luvvie over the last few years. Very thin skinned and more interested in kissing up to people rather than being the brutal reviewer he used to be. I still listened, but for me it had lost its way over the years.

Really hope 5 Live keep doing something similar. The subs were often really good. Particularly Robbie and Doc.

Can’t stand the guy Mark does his other podcast with. A supremely annoying know-nothing gobshite.

In the last episode I listened to he said something about Last Night in Soho being one of his most disappointing films of the year, because Edgar Wright had sold out by not editing it with the same style style as Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz etc which was one of the most moronically patronising things I’ve ever heard, and I didn’t even like the film. 

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Can’t stand the guy Mark does his other podcast with. A supremely annoying know-nothing gobshite.

In the last episode I listened to he said something about Last Night in Soho being one of his most disappointing films of the year, because Edgar Wright had sold out by not shooting and editing it the same way as Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz etc which was one of the most moronically patronising things I’ve ever heard, and I didn’t even like the film. 

Yeah but Kermode generally calls him out on his bullshit, so I reckon they work well together.

Potentially upsetting news this for me, I've been listening every Saturday morning since I first moved to my current home town after uni, 14 years ago. It's been my comfort podcast through 10 houses moves, a few break ups and a couple of deaths, it's way more than content with some waffle for me.  I've always enjoyed the waffle (and I like long walks), and the emails are listener's contributions are always the best parts (mayo really can read an email). Hopefully it will be back in some form.

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

In the last episode I listened to he said something about Last Night in Soho being one of his most disappointing films of the year, because Edgar Wright had sold out by not shooting and editing it the same way as Spaced/Shaun/Fuzz etc which was one of the most moronically patronising things I’ve ever heard, and I didn’t even like the film. 

Jack Howard. He's a numpty.

47 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Jack Howard. He's a numpty.

The way he talks and behaves on that podcast, it's like he won a fan competition to become Kermodes best mate.

Anyway, hopefully Wittertainment continues elsewhere, if only to get the occasional gem of a review:

54 minutes ago, Gambit said:

The way he talks and behaves on that podcast, it's like he won a fan competition to become Kermodes best mate.

It’s the self-aggrandising way he’s begun referring to himself as a ‘filmmaker’ and speaking as some sort of authority on the subject that’s sent me over the edge. As best as I can tell he’s only worked on short films and YouTube videos. Kermode himself has actually directed feature length documentaries but never smugly refers to himself as a filmmaker when discussing other peoples work. 

6 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Yeah, add me as another one who got very tired of the waffle. Also, Mark has become quite a luvvie over the last few years. Very thin skinned and more interested in kissing up to people rather than being the brutal reviewer he used to be. I still listened, but for me it had lost its way over the years.

Really hope 5 Live keep doing something similar. The subs were often really good. Particularly Robbie and Doc.

I don't really mind that he seems less likely to have a rant about a film these days. When he's passionate about a film he still shares that and I think that matters more. He's always been a big proponent of animation for example.

46 minutes ago, Benny said:

I don't really mind that he seems less likely to have a rant about a film these days. When he's passionate about a film he still shares that and I think that matters more. He's always been a big proponent of animation for example.

It’s not so much the rants I miss, it’s more that they’ve become too close to many of the actors and directors of the years, and tend to soft pedal them a bit. Take Liam Neeson for example. They used to constantly rag on him for giving one of the worst interviews they’ve had. Yet the last couple of times he was on they fawned all over him. Didn’t even reference to the fact that they used to mercilessly mock him. Just feels like they lost there edge.

I didn’t mind the waffle when it was about film, but the constant musos chat got really tiresome.

23 hours ago, Paulando said:

I much prefer his podcast episodes with Jack Howard, particular the best of lists, and I do hope his cinema reviews continue in some format.

I hope this is a joke. Jack Howard is a cunt of the highest order.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2022 at 18:18, teddymeow said:

Not that surprised after Mayo’s treatment and exit from Drive Time but still sad news.

Much as I want to hate Kermode he’s very listenable more often than not, and the chat between the two of them sounds genuine. Mayo’s constant digs at Kermode’s pomposity are fun as well.

Often listened to the Podcast over the years. Hope it actually does pop up somewhere else. 

Yeah I'm good. That's cheap but I also have a number of other free podcasts that talk about movies. And I'm already struggling to manage how many ongoing subscriptions I already have.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

It’s going to be an Apple Podcast apparently, behind a £2.99 a month paywall.

Where did you see this btw? Just wondering if there are any other details, I wouldn't mind paying for the show but I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than use the Apple podcast app, so I hope there are other avenues available.