Mark Kermode

johnT

I’ve been listening for ten years, and it’s still my favourite podcast (The Back Page runs it pretty close, mind you). I’d pay - probably. How else will I know which movies to avoid on Five Star?

Kermode has a bit of a rep for his hectoring tweets, but I don’t see any of that. The bickering of two good friends is what I come for. 

I'm not sure about paying for it. What's wrong with a free podcast with Kermode and Mayo advertising razors and socks at the beginning? Mind you, I've got about two year backlog of podcasts to get through so hopefully it'll all be sorted by the time I catch up.

They have to make it financial viable I guess if they aren't working with a company and doing from their own studio/homes. Better option would probably be free with ads or a sub fee for ad-free and maybe extra content.

We make our podcast free with no ads and for a patreon fee, we provide extra content every week and at least one monthly special, plus any others specials we feel like doing. It's not uncommon. 

Bloody wish we had their numbers though 😆

18 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Probably a stupid question but is Apple Podcasts available on devices other than Apple ones?

There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

Looks like the answer is yes up to a point:

5755670F-8095-4F5E-B3EF-BD6E7A167616.thumb.png.d27e172e369823fc04dfa78f0823ed33.png

I don’t see anything there about Android phones so I assume it’s off limits to those. Happy to be corrected though.

1 hour ago, Anjin said:

I've found it in the pocketcasts app on android, so I assume it's available most places.

That bodes well for Take One but if Take Two is to be Apple-exclusive, then we'll have to wait and see. 

I'm sure it'll get pirated on YouTube. 

Up with the blue-haired feminists!

(Imagine being the bloke who wrote in moaning about blue-haired feminists originally, and not thinking he was going to get the very shortest of shrift, it boggles the mind.)

16 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

New podcast is called “Kermode and Mayo’s Take”.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/kermode-mayos-take/id1616559297

86841B05-F475-4944-BF78-FB7F310B5A2E.thumb.png.abb753a6dd8227f51adea2bc5935269a.png

Seems like there’s going to be two editions.

Take One is on Apple, Spotify and Amazon, with ads. 

Take Two appears to be Apple exclusive, paywalled, and includes an ad-free version of Take One. 

It’s still a Somethin’ Else Production so I imagine the sound and core dynamic of the show won’t change much (although they mention in the trailer that they’ll now be covering TV as well as films). 

To be fair, when they announced it a few weeks ago on 5 Live, Mayo straight-up said “We’re too expensive and the BBC has better things to spend the licence fee on.”

This is quite a weird set-up.  Is the Take Two show a whole separate show?  If so, to be honest I'm more annoyed about it only being available on Apple than the subscription fee.  I don't own any Apple devices and I don't have iTunes installed anywhere, and I'd rather not reinstall it. Even if I did, I don't work at or anywhere near a PC, and I only listen to podcasts on my Android phone, so accessing the Apple exclusive show would be a bit of a faff on top of the subscription fee. 

I could just listen to the Take One show, but I'm a bit of a Kermode and Mayo superfan, having listened right from the very start. I used to listen to Kermode on the Mark and Lard show in the evenings on Radio One about 3000 years ago. The thought of missing half their output makes me sad.

@feltmonkey I’d take a guess it’s the same show with no ads and some extra content. Might be exclusive specials as well I guess. That seems to be the usual set-up for quite a few podcasts I listen to who use Patreon to give subscribers more stuff.

Is there some Apple subscription that gets rid of ads across the board?

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

@feltmonkey I’d take a guess it’s the same show with no ads and some extra content. Might be exclusive specials as well I guess. That seems to be the usual set-up for quite a few podcasts I listen to who use Patreon to give subscribers more stuff.

Is there some Apple subscription that gets rid of ads across the board?

Yeah, it might be, except the blub says that the Take Two subscription "includes" an ad-free version of the free Take One show, and the little preview thing on the new show stream says that there are two new shows, not two versions of the same show.

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see what the set-up is. My guess is a normal show, and a shorter second show where maybe they discuss a specific topic or go into detail on a particular film. I'm hoping that they might make both shows free for the first week so that we can listen to both and judge whether it will be worth subscribing.  

53 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

If they're doing TV reviews, are they talking about actual TV shows? If they are, do you think they'll bring in someone else? I can't see Kermode reviewing a whole season of TV on top of all the films he does.

Better not be the little shit he does the other podcast with.

Had this on my mind for a while - like, what is the cash value of a service in a world of endless choice?  I'll do a thread of it at some point I'm sure (I usually do!). But here's a perfect example.  I really like Mark Kermode and watch his YouTube videos every week.  I'd say I'm a fan.  But I'm not going to pay £2.99 for a podcast.  I already subscribe to too many to listen to. Similarly I was sent a link this morning to download the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers for free and i clicked the link but then decided not to bother because I probably won't get around to listening to it.  Like, how are these people supposed to make any money in a world where my time is filled with free stuff?

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

Had this on my mind for a while - like, what is the cash value of a service in a world of endless choice?  I'll do a thread of it at some point I'm sure (I usually do!). But here's a perfect example.  I really like Mark Kermode and watch his YouTube videos every week.  I'd say I'm a fan.  But I'm not going to pay £2.99 for a podcast.  I already subscribe to too many to listen to. Similarly I was sent a link this morning to download the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers for free and i clicked the link but then decided not to bother because I probably won't get around to listening to it.  Like, how are these people supposed to make any money in a world where my time is filled with free stuff?

People obviously do pay, though. Otherwise the likes of Patreon and Twitch subscriptions wouldn't exist.

Yeah, I'm not sure that argument stands up in a digital economy where people already do this, and succeed.

The only difference is that you're just not part of that economy. Which is fine, but it also means they aren't going to care what you think.

But how many podcasts would you take at £2.99 a pop before you reached a saturation point? 

I'm with Dumpster on this, I don't understand putting a podcast behind a pay wall whomever the talent is. No one can possibly be so desirable that people will continue to pay £155 a year to listen to them surely. 

17 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But how many podcasts would you take at £2.99 a pop before you reached a saturation point? 

I'm with Dumpster on this, I don't understand putting a podcast behind a pay wall whomever the talent is. No one can possibly be so desirable that people will continue to pay £155 a year to listen to them surely. 

It’s £2.99 a month, not £2.99 a week. If you regarded yourself as a big fan of Kermode and Mayo’s content then £35 a year would be an acceptable buy-in, surely?

There was a really popular sports radio show in Ireland about 15 years ago. The boys who host it fell out with the owners of the radio station and eventually started their own patreon podcast service - 1 free show and 4 shows behind the paywall a week. They charge a fiver a month and have 12000 subs so they're not making a fortune but certainly enough to live on. There's certainly no shortage of free sports podcasts but they had an audience built from their radio days and enough people were prepared to pay each month to make it worth their while. This is their patreon: https://www.patreon.com/secondcaptains

I'd say Mark and Simon will do really well out of this.