IGNORED

Mark Kermode

johnT

1 hour ago, Scribblor said:

There aren't half a lot of adverts in this free version of the podcast. About twice as much as other ad supported podcasts I listen to.

How else are they going to sell you an ad-free version 😬

Speaking of which, I had thought the sub was going to be £2.99 a month but it turns out to be £3.49:

75916096-F545-4582-AF8D-70C5A81236C0.thumb.png.22decb0129d9d50e27323029c148406f.png

Interestingly they mentioned during the first episode that the subscription version should be available on all platforms, not just Apple, after all.

I like it so far, forced and overacted ads notwithstanding (I do get that they’re hamming it up on purpose).

The box-office Top 10 was weird. I don’t care even the tiniest bit what chart position something is at in America, and I suspect the whole thing of trying to cram both in (“Next is Dr Strange, which is number 1 in the UK, number 2 in America” or whatever) is going to get old. I’m not sure why they’ve shunted it right to the back of the running order as well. 

Is it just me that had to have a few goes at the vocodery jingle right at the beginning? It’s “Somethin’ Else” [Productions] but until I clocked that, I could only hear “Sexypants” and thought it was some kind of callback for ‘heritage listeners’.

14 hours ago, Festoon said:

I'm trying to think of some. Paddy Considine?

Jodie Comer? Daniel Kaluuya? Not many, admittedly. 

When you build the narrative that arts courses are a waste of time and don't deserve subsidy, the majority of your art winds up being produced by children of privilege.

I hate it when podcast host read their own ads. They usually try and put a personalised spin on it, either to highlight how much they like the product in an effort to mask their embarrassment at doing ads, or attempt humour (probably for the same reason). Either way it just makes the ads longer. Just play a quick ad recorded by professionals that us listeners can zone out of until the show continues.

Adam Buxton is the obvious exception to this grumble.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

I always think the Giant Bombcast do a credible job here also.  But Buxton is the KING.

4 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I hate it when podcast host read their own ads. They usually try and put a personalised spin on it, either to highlight how much they like the product in an effort to mask their embarrassment at doing ads, or attempt humour (probably for the same reason). Either way it just makes the ads longer. Just play a quick ad recorded by professionals that us listeners can zone out of until the show continues.

They're often being paid to read the ads in their own 'inimitable' style. I've pointlessly written podcast ads for people with great delivery and turn of phrase, knowing they'll be ignored, because ultimately that's what the people paying for the ad space want. And you don't pay someone funny for someone cosmically less funny to put words in their mouth.

It makes it less easy to hear the change of tone and immediately start flicking to the skip button. And, as has been said, they can actually be made into entertaining content by talented hosts.

5 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I would add Jon Lovett to the very short list of exceptions.

On 06/05/2022 at 22:53, Ste_S said:

I think it used to be that, and it's something Michael Caine complained about in the past. I think it's more now, with the continued erosion of the welfare state, that only actors (or artists, musicians etc) from a privileged background can support themselves until they make it.

To think that in 1962 Sean Connery was cast as James Bond. A Scot from an Edinburgh slum with a speech impediment. What chance would he have had today? Fuck all. It would have been handed on a plate to Eddie fucking Redmane.

Listened to the first bonus episode this morning. Spoilers for The Batman, more Tom Hiddleston chat, and an overview of Sam Raimi’s career. Was okay, but not essential, compared to say the Back Page podcast patreon episodes which have been fantastic so far.

On 09/05/2022 at 09:55, Fierce Poodle said:

Listened to the first bonus episode this morning. Spoilers for The Batman, more Tom Hiddleston chat, and an overview of Sam Raimi’s career. Was okay, but not essential, compared to say the Back Page podcast patreon episodes which have been fantastic so far.

Always be Pegglin’

• 2 weeks later...

With each twice-weekly release being just over an hour long it feels like the regular show, but split in two. Obviously the second part focuses in more on the interview and a deep-dive on a particular movie, which leaves less space for the reviews, the listener emails and and top ten (generally squeezed into the first hour-long part). The running order has been mixed up, too, so I find this all a bit disorienting to listen to, it doesn’t feel as familiar a listen as it used to.

I’ve been listening to the podcast for about 10 years now, so I’m finding it takes some adjusting to, but I also think the way they’ve reworked it isn’t as good as it was before, objectively. Rushed and disjointed would be my take. 

(Disclaimer: I haven’t listened to the new pod yet, though I have read comments about it)

The main difference, I guess, is that before now it was recorded as live, and now it’ll be recorded and then edited. That’s the bit where a lot of podcasts fall down for me - it takes great skill to edit a piece of audio down but keep it sounding natural.

I'm using the spoiler episodes as a guide for something to watch and so watched The Power of the Dog last night.    

I liked it more than Mark but I did (Power of the Dog spoiler)

Spoiler

'get it' the first time around, admittedly not until the credits were rolling, and I enjoyed the feeling of almost paranoia I got as I put it all together.

I think the key for me was the line about Pete's dad. Something like 'He worried I was too strong'.

I'm liking the pod so far but get the feeling it is at once too familiar and too dissimilar from the radio show.

Yeah it's definitely lost something. There seem to be fewer emails? The ads are awful but I get it and can tolerate it, but the podcast doesn't really flow like it used to.