IGNORED

War movies told from the 'enemies' perspective.

chalkitdown

I was going to say Das Boot, but then you said you saw that.

Two other spring to mind right now. Not seen either of these yet, but are supposed to be good.

Letters from Iwo Jima - Iwo Jima from the Japanese side

Downfall - About the last days of Hitler

Star Wars.

those Rebel scum!

also, Downfall is pretty darned good if a bit heavy going in places. Battle of the Bulge is good and tells the story from both sides, plus it has the all-conquering Robert Shaw tooling about Central Europe in a tank! same with The Desert Fox, with James Mason as Rommel.

Days of Glory (Indigènes), while it isn't told from the enemy's perspective, is told by the Africians (Algerians or Morrocans, can't remember which) who fought for France in WWII, it deals with a small band of soliders from training right through to the actual battles, I really enjoyed it.

The real soliders that fought in the war received no government assistance or pension until Jacques Chirac saw the film and immediately rectified the situation.

John Woo's Bullet in the Head is excellent. Set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War it tells it's story from the perspective of a group of friends from Hong Kong, trying to exploit the situation to make a quick buck.

Enemy at the Gates - neither particularly good nor strictly relevant, as the Russians were our allies in WW2. But it's still an interesting perspective on the war film.

It's Jude Law, therefore it's crap.

(note: I've seen it and it's crap so not just generalising)

Tora! Tora! Tora! is an essential must-see war film. It's terrific and feels very real throughout.

You also might want to watch Joyeux Noel, which is set during WW1 and told from a Scottish, French and German perspective. Come and See is also one of the most brilliant (and horrific) films I've ever seen, and whilst isn't a tale from 'the enemy's' perspective, it's about the German invasion of Belorussia and is certainly very different.

It's Jude Law, therefore it's crap.

(note: I've seen it and it's crap so not just generalising)

The sniper duel bits are ace, but you're right - the rest of the film is pretty awful.

Theres a film that probably went under the radar in the mid nineties, called " Saviour "

and considering Dennis Quaid is normally rubbish, he is excellent in this film.

very briefly, his family are killed in a terrorist bombing in Paris. He then flips and enters a Mosque while armed and shoots everyone.

to avoid arrest, he joins the foreign legion.. from there he gets posted with the Bosnian army during the troubles out there, and has a life changing experience..

this is a very tense and emotional film. It seems hard to get hold of on Amazon and Play too. Try ebay.

well worth a couple of quid of anyones money.