IGNORED

Wall-E - New from Pixar

Goose

Will a 5 year old like this?

Or will they find it a bit boring?

My five year old was gripped with the bits that reviewers have been fearing she'd be bored by (the very long, almost wordless bit at the beginning). She was crying for quite a bit of the time the mild peril and very mild threat was going on in the second half, but she's a big softy and I would have thought most children her age would enjoy most of this: it's less scary than Ratatouille. I don't think she understood what was going on in some bits, as some of the science fiction ideas in it went above her head, but I don't think that matters. Most of the little kids around seemed reasonably appreciative, but they probably need to be a few years older to get the most out of it. I'd be generally encouraging, it's a good one to see for you to see at the cinema, and there's a good chance a kid will make it to the end.

Well I saw it with my Son this morning.. first visit to the flicks 'n all that.

Wall-E has to be a serious contender for the ultimate 'my first film' for any kid. My first trip to the cinema was Neverending Story and I'm still in therapy over the death of Artax.

Wall-E has to be a serious contender for the ultimate 'my first film' for any kid. My first trip to the cinema was Neverending Story and I'm still in therapy over the death of Artax.

Cheers thanks for spoiling that for me :)

Actually i've been to see the Never ending story, I am going to take the makers of that film to court, under the trades description act.... Ba booom, tish...

Saw this today, and like most people I thought it was wonderful. I did kind of think that it should have been longer though - the bit on Earth should have been at least three times longer in my opinion. The stuff on the ship was funny, cool and clever, but the abandoned Earth is one of the most evocative settings I've ever seen in a film.

I swear though, they must have run mathematical psychometric models to generate Wall-E's eyes in order to make them the absolutely most sympathetic image in history.

Apparently there's some dodginess with the plant in space.

what do you mean?

anyway, i thought it was ok. probably my 4th favourite, behind ratatouille, the incredibles and monsters inc. i personally just didn't think the story was that good. i found it a bit boring to be honest.

Apparently there's some dodginess with the plant in space.

If someone is going to nitpick at that point (and yes, it did kind of jar a bit) then they officially Have No Soul.

The plant spends a few seconds in the vacuum of space and still lives.

If someone is going to nitpick at that point (and yes, it did kind of jar a bit) then they officially Have No Soul.

That didn't bother me. I thought he was referring to the second half of the film being pretty dissapointing.

My first trip to the cinema was Neverending Story and I'm still in therapy over the death of Artax.

Well you're not going to like this. Spoilered incase you cry.

When Atreyu first sets out on his quest, his horse Artax is grey with dark mane and tail. However, when they stop to rest and eat by the stream, Artax is white with white mane and tail. By the end of the film, when Bastian and Falkor flies over Fantasia,they spot Atreyu and Artax - low and behold - Artax's mane and taile are dark again. The reason is the first horse actually died. They had problems on the set and when it sank in the swamp of sadness, it really sank and died. So there are two different horses in the film.

You'll never watch it the same again.

Well you're not going to like this. Spoilered incase you cry.

When Atreyu first sets out on his quest, his horse Artax is grey with dark mane and tail. However, when they stop to rest and eat by the stream, Artax is white with white mane and tail. By the end of the film, when Bastian and Falkor flies over Fantasia,they spot Atreyu and Artax - low and behold - Artax's mane and taile are dark again. The reason is the first horse actually died. They had problems on the set and when it sank in the swamp of sadness, it really sank and died. So there are two different horses in the film.

You'll never watch it the same again.

That's not actually true...

Seen it today - really enjoyed it. I was surprised how bleak the first 10 minutes were, but that's a good thing! Still no Incredibles beater though, but pretty damn good.

Also -

live action in Pixar movies should be outlawed.

:)

And -

A happy ending if you consider those random destructive windstorms have stopped magically.

It did cross my mind when I saw it, but then I just thought, "Ah, fuck it, the movie is too good and that would be missing the point."

Seen it today - really enjoyed it. I was surprised how bleak the first 10 minutes were, but that's a good thing! Still no Incredibles beater though, but pretty damn good.

Also -

live action in Pixar movies should be outlawed.

Well, you'll probably hate this then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars_%28film%29

To be honest, I quite liked

the live action bits. It was a nice unexpected change of style for Pixar. I sort of wish they'd done something a bit more interesting with the fat humans though. Perhaps not live action, but at least put a bit of effort into their design.

Well, you'll probably hate this then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars_%28film%29

To be honest, I quite liked

the live action bits. It was a nice unexpected change of style for Pixar. I sort of wish they'd done something a bit more interesting with the fat humans though. Perhaps not live action, but at least put a bit of effort into their design.

It's almost like they're admitting they can't "do" human beings.

Why, would it explode in space? The plant seemed to be dying slowly once it was back inside the ship, leaves were falling off.

Saw this about two weeks ago in the preview screenings. Brilliant film - this and The Orphanage are the best movies I've seen all year. Utterly, utterly charming, as well as funny, beautifully animated and the detail in the drawing is amazing (except for the humans, the only criticism I could find).

Who else fancied Eve?

That's not actually true...

No, it is true, for some reason there's a myth that the actual horse didn't die and the story was made up, a myth myth!

It did happen and the leading kid was pulled under with it, fell unconcious under the mud and had to be revived on set.

PS. Saw Wall-E thought it was amazingly well made but, like many others have said, the second half just didn't really click with me.

Heh, I guess she is kinda cute for a robot. She's very ladylike IE -

She gets in a massive strop if she doesn't get her own way - see taking down several oil tankers with her big shooty gun when she can't find what she's sent to find.

Meh, I just liked her tits.

Hmmm... Where did you hear this? It's quite a famous movie urban legend.

IMDB has this to say:

During filming in the Swamps of Sadness, a faulty platform mechanism caused the death of one of the horses portraying Artax. Noah Hathaway was so upset he didn't return to work for two weeks.

Noah Hathaway was hurt twice during the making of the movie. During his horse riding training he was thrown off a horse which then stepped on him. Then during the shooting of the drowning sequence in the "swamp of sadness" his leg got caught on the elevator and he was pulled under water. He was unconscious by the time he was brought to the surface.

after letting it settle in to my brain for a night, i have to say i think this is one of pixar's weakest stories. there are so many loose ends, which pixar are normally very good at tying up.

what were the dust storms all about, there was no explanation about where they came from?

why did the dust storms suddenly stop at the end of the film?

who were buy 'n' large? again there was no explanation of who they were or what happened to them. they didn't seem to have any employees.

why was there no sense of danger in the film? there were no baddies as such, only auto, but he was just carrying out orders. it all seemed too easy.

if there was no human contact going on, where were all the babies coming from? and if the babies were farmed, why would the robots do that?

why did only auto get to know they weren't supposed to go back to earth? it felt like they had to shoe-horn in some way to oppose what they were doing.

why, all of a sudden, was earth inhabitable again? there only seemed to be wall:e left and the planet looked a mess.

i'm sure there are many more, but i can't think right now.

it's a shame really, because i thought the robots, the humans and their relationships were really well done. the story massively let it down.