IGNORED

Wall-E - New from Pixar

Goose

I watched this last night, it was my birthday and I managed to get my bf into the cinema to watch this...

Absolutely loved it. Yes, there's some loose ends, and it isn't perfect, but then show me a film which is.

It's amazing how cute & adorable they can be with indeed just their eyes and some set sounds, I adored it and thought it was just a really really cool film, better than most animation I've seen (and I was a big Nemo fan).

The silent trick did work for me, loved the beginning.

I will be wanting the DVD!!!!

Loved it.

I did think the introduction of the Autopilot as 'bad guy' was unnecessary. I'd have preferred it if he was a Futurama Kif style sighing-apologist, and the captain just wouldn't go back to Earth. Then Wall-E can wander around the ship bringing people together with his clumsy charm until they all open their eyes and want to go home.

I assumed they occured when one of the rubbish-block skyscrapers collapsed

Its because theres no vegetation on the planet, no bushes, trees etc to break up wind patterns so you end up with huge dustballs that sweep across the continents. Bit like what happened in Kansas in Wizard of Oz. No walls or trees to break up the wind so it just builds and builds into a huge wall of dust.

what were the dust storms all about, there was no explanation about where they came from?

They were simple dust/sand storms, as Lorfarious said

why did the dust storms suddenly stop at the end of the film?

Why would they? We can assume they didn't.

who were buy 'n' large? again there was no explanation of who they were or what happened to them. they didn't seem to have any employees.

buy 'n' large were just a - the - big global company, like Walmart but after a hundred years of expansion. We can assume that everyone with a job was their employee - though by the time Wall-E got to the Axiom it would have just been run by the robots for a long time

Why, all of a sudden, was earth inhabitable again? there only seemed to be wall:e left and the planet looked a mess.

It wasn't 'just' suddenly habitable again, the humans and robots had to work hard to bring it back, using the plant and other plants that had presumably survived as the foundation for their agri economy.

Its because theres no vegetation on the planet, no bushes, trees etc to break up wind patterns so you end up with huge dustballs that sweep across the continents. Bit like what happened in Kansas in Wizard of Oz. No walls or trees to break up the wind so it just builds and builds into a huge wall of dust.

wouldn't the skyscrapers do effectively the same job?

They were simple dust/sand storms, as Lorfarious said

Why would they? We can assume they didn't.

buy 'n' large were just a - the - big global company, like Walmart but after a hundred years of expansion. We can assume that everyone with a job was their employee - though by the time Wall-E got to the Axiom it would have just been run by the robots for a long time

It wasn't 'just' suddenly habitable again, the humans and robots had to work hard to bring it back, using the plant and other plants that had presumably survived as the foundation for their agri economy.

i sort of guessed all your answers, but you've got to admit though that none of the things i mentioned were explored very well. anything other than the relationship between wall-e and eve was paper thin.

i don't want to sound like i'm totally against the film or that i hate it, because i love pixar's output. i just feel that the story in this one is probably one of their worst, if not the worst.

i sort of guessed all your answers, but you've got to admit though that none of the things i mentioned were explored very well. anything other than the relationship between wall-e and eve was paper thin.

i don't want to sound like i'm totally against the film or that i hate it, because i love pixar's output. i just feel that the story in this one is probably one of their worst, if not the worst.

you really feel these things needed explanation? would not the runtime become far too long for a kids movie?

The very last thing this film needed was somebody saying "Oh by the way the dust storms were caused by a lack of humans and will now stop, also we found more plant seeds in a bag and the babies were all made in test tubes." at the end. The best movies know what to explain and what not to. It should never be everything.

The very last thing this film needed was somebody saying "Oh by the way the dust storms were caused by a lack of humans and will now stop, also we found more plant seeds in a bag and the babies were all made in test tubes." at the end. The best movies know what to explain and what not to. It should never be everything.

i know, i think you've misunderstood. like you say, in the best movies the reasons for things being just work. i just felt they didn't work very well in this film. it's not that i thought everything should have been explained in detail, but something would have been nice.

i'm finding it difficult to explain what i mean, but i know it felt wrong to me. maybe there was too much time spent aboard the axiom and they should have concentrated a bit more on what happened on earth. that all seemed a bit like an after-thought.

A happy ending if you consider those random destructive windstorms have stopped magically.

what were the dust storms all about, there was no explanation about where they came from?

why did the dust storms suddenly stop at the end of the film?

I assumed that these dust clouds were caused by spaceships landing with Eve probes, and that Wall-E just hadn't come across an Eve previously. The one that landed with her, and the spaceship landing at the end, both caused a similar effect anyway.

I loved it. It made me cry for pretty much the whole last half hour (

from when Eve is reviewing the footage of Wall-E protecting her while she was in plant mode

), but I am a massive wuss.

I think it could've done with some more time on Earth though, Wall-E falling in love with Eve all happened a bit too suddenly for me, watching the relationship form more slowly would've been ace.

I assumed that these dust clouds were caused by spaceships landing with Eve probes, and that Wall-E just hadn't come across an Eve previously. The one that landed with her, and the spaceship landing at the end, both caused a similar effect anyway.

this is exactly what i mean. i think there have been 3 different theories as to what they were. that's not explaining it very well, is it?

Wall-E isn't about the story. It is about the characters. I suspect that if they could have done it that way, they would have got rid of the Axiom all together and just left it as Wall-E and EVE.

this is exactly what i mean. i think there have been 3 different theories as to what they were. that's not explaining it very well, is it?

I really don't think it needed explaining. But I did think

it is due to the lack of vegetation and stuff. They are like Martian dust storms, just not as severe because we do still have oceans getting in the way so they don't build up the same scale and ferocity as Martian ones. And who says they stopped?

As for B'N'L, that seemed pretty self explanatory.

Just a company so big that they are now running everything, including government, with the President of the company being the actual President.

I like how they cast an IRL fatty to voice the main human. Lends credibility.

I was all 'I know who this this... but who... WTF, it's Jeff!'

True story.

I saw it at the Empire, which blew my mind. No other cinemas in Leicester Square had it on, which was odd.

The thing is , its a kids film. There were a few things I questions (vacuum of space and storms) but I didn't dwell on it.

Also I was thinking about the whole argument about 'pixar can't do humans' today. Do we really want serious FF style humans in a pixar film? I don't. It's a childrens animation that adults can watch, its supposed to be fun. Its a high tech cartoon you could say. Personally I like the humans in the most recent films (particually the Incredibles) the only humans that look a tad dodgy are in Toy Story.

Loved it, could be my fave Pixar yet. Though I'll wait for that judgement when the DVD comes out. The Short -Presto - was amazing as well. I really want a Wall-e.

Oh yeah, I thought that B'n'l was quite obvious in what they represented.

yeah, i wasn't questioning what they represented. like you say, that's quite obvious. i was just wondering what happened to them and why they seemed to control everything, but there was nobody in charge.

The thing is , its a kids film. There were a few things I questions (vacuum of space and storms) but I didn't dwell on it.

Also I was thinking about the whole argument about 'pixar can't do humans' today. Do we really want serious FF style humans in a pixar film? I don't. It's a childrens animation that adults can watch, its supposed to be fun. Its a high tech cartoon you could say. Personally I like the humans in the most recent films (particually the Incredibles) the only humans that look a tad dodgy are in Toy Story.

i agree with the human thing too. they've definitely learned since toy story not to attempt like-like characters. they're still incredibly hard to do and they don't really fit in with the rest of pixar's aesthetics. i really like their cartoon style people now, i think they've got them nailed.

yeah, i wasn't questioning what they represented. like you say, that's quite obvious. i was just wondering what happened to them and why they seemed to control everything, but there was nobody in charge.

The President was in charge.

I was all 'I know who this this... but who... WTF, it's Jeff!'

True story.

I saw it at the Empire, which blew my mind. No other cinemas in Leicester Square had it on, which was odd.

Films will only ever be on on one screen in Leicester Square and the cinemas fight with the distributors to get the big films. I think that's how it works anyway. I'm sure Kerraig will pop on and tell us exactly what happens.

The President was in charge.

the president was in charge 700 years ago, what happened after that? who kept the company going and why were they never revealed. surely they'd be pretty important to the part of the story where

the captain and auto are fighting over whether to go back to earth.

Films will only ever be on on one screen in Leicester Square and the cinemas fight with the distributors to get the big films. I think that's how it works anyway. I'm sure Kerraig will pop on and tell us exactly what happens.

I take it thats why the Shaftesbury Avenue Cineworld hardly has any of the big films?

The thing is , its a kids film.

Who says? Just because it is animated and a U certificate, people go "oh, it's a kids film". Bollocks.

The scenes between Wall-E and EVE resonate on a level well, well above the experience of an 8 year old. The opening half hour is about the sheer loneliness of Wall-E's existence, who is desparate for interaction with anyone other than himself. He longs just to touch the hand of somebody else. He

sits there in a lightning storm, watches the sunset with an inanimate blob

just so he doesn't feel alone.

The scene with

Wall-E and Eve, flying outside the Axiom, him using the fire extinguisher

- that isn't for kids. The sheer delight of that sequence is for any adult who has fallen head over heels in love.

It is a love story. A wonderful, touching, love story. At the end of it, you want to walk out of the cinema holding the hand of your loved one, because that is all Wall-E ever wanted.

Kids film? My arse.

the president was in charge 700 years ago, what happened after that? who kept the company going and why were they never revealed. surely they'd be pretty important to the part of the story where

What makes you think anyone kept it going? It was dead & gone I think.

Loved the film and my 5 year old sat completely still & only whispered a couple of questions for the entire movie, first time he'd ever been to the cinema. I was so proud. The 2 year old did ok too although she did start dancing in the aisle when Wall-E was watching that musical :(

What are you so confused about? The President and everyone left on earth from 700 years ago is dead. He even said in his speech to the AI that the Axiom should never come back. So the AI followed its directive like all the machines, even Wall-E who was battered and rotting away still kept creating blocks and piling them up as he was programmed to do.

The President and whoever else was left is either dead or escaped on another vessel. There was no need to keep the company going. It had already created the ship and the robots just kept everything ticking over they dont care about who owns them or why they serve humans as they just do the job so they would never remove the BNL reference from everything. The humans were in such a closed off lazy, childlike state that they would never do anything.

My 3 and half year old son loved it, and had to come and sit with me when Well-e was getting beaten up.

It's not as good as Toy story 2 for me, which had the whole star wars reference in. But i don't think it's the same sort of film. I think there was so much more in there for an adult audience. falling in love, being lonely, environmental stuff. I didn't laugh as much as i did in Kung Foo panda. But i did come out of the cinema holding my wife and sons hand and smiling.

So it's far better than the rat movie and cars. Not as funny as toy story 1 and 2, But more emotional than the incrediables. About the same as Nemo and monsters inc for the big heart and character investment.

I will definatly buy the DVD.

Presto though ...... that made me cry with laughter. There's nothing like slapstick to make a grown man laugh out loud. Buster Keaton is alive and well and living in John Lassiters wardrobe :wub:

The scene with

Wall-E and Eve, flying outside the Axiom, him using the fire extinguisher

- that isn't for kids. The sheer delight of that sequence is for any adult who has fallen head over heels in love.

I cried at that. It was so touching.

Not that it matters, but what's to say a plant can't survive a few seconds in a vacuum? Doesn't sound too unrealistic to me.

I know we can't help it when something bothers you about a movie, but I'm not sure some of the points raised are really valid. It's possible the movie becomes a bit conventional and confusing for a period on the Axiom, but I can forgive it that.