IGNORED

Flight of the Conchords

pledge

While checking out hbo.com about the new season of Entourage I came across a new show comedy show that starts today.

Flight of the Conchords follows the trials and tribulations of a two-man, New Zealand digi-folk band as they make their way in New York City.

You can watch the first episode online. I've only seen the first few minutes as I'd rather wait and watch it when it airs, but from what I saw it could be quite entertaining. Its 'thing' seems to be music being part of the comedy.

Edit: Just watched the whole thing now, and I really enjoyed it. I don't normally like "comedy" songs, but here with the visuals and as part of a greater story I thought they worked very well. The show is not going to be to everyone's taste as it is pretty goofy and geeky. Very Napolean Dynamite.

The fact that there was a "No Dumping" sign in the background during the break up hopefully means there's going to be plently of subtle observational humour like in Arrested Development

Are they an actual band or a set of comedians or both? When I searched the forum I only found one post i nthe music folder about them. In one of the podcasts on iTunes they talk about their names in real life and on the show being the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered because someone linked a clip in the random video thread - fantastic! I'd seen some of their live stuff (on TV) before. They're like The Mighty Boosh and Bill Bailey.

I'd never heard their show on Radio 4, but my housemate who has reliably informs me that the gags work better on TV, which is refreshing because people usually say it's the other way around (e.g. Mitchell and Webb).

Took me a while to place "Sally" in episode 1 - the fit one from Peep Show of course. It was only when the camera went to the Peep Show first person perspective

for the break up

that I realised it too :P

Glad someone else is watching it. 5 shows in now and I've enjoyed all of them.

After seeing the show I bought the CD of the radio show. The first 5 episodes of the TV version reuse a fair amount of the events and jokes in the radio show, except moved from London to New York. Probably 50% of the songs are new with the other reused or tweaked. The musical performances sound better on the radio somehow. In the radio version they are a novelty music act trying to get gigs. They don't seem to be pushing that angle as much now with them more just being a regular band.

I've just watched ep5. After they all buy a star, at the party:

Murray: Actually I've got bad news. Your star just went supernova - there's nothing left of it

Jermaine: When did this happen?!

Murray: About... 4 million years ago

I've been watching it. I think it's pretty much universally awful other than the songs, which are right on the other end of the spectrum and at times are absolute genius.

Did you like The Mighty Boosh?

I watched ep6 of FotC yesterday. It wasn't their strongest episode but Jermaine's Bowie impression is fantastic ^_^

The rap in ep3 (which was what got me into this after watching it on YouTube) is still a series highlight for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This is starting on BBC 4 soon, I wouldnt be suprised if they started airing the radio show again soon.

BBC4 are going to be airing Flight of The Conchords One Night Stand to kick off the Conchords HBO series they are airing from this month. One Night Stand will screen on BBC4 on Tuesday September 18 at 9:30pm and will be repeated on Friday September 21 at 11pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/features/flight-conchords.shtml

All of it is very good, but the songs gradually decrease in quality from around episode 5 onwards. It's like they used all their best songs already, and then had to start quickly making them up as they went along.

The manager guy is great though, very David Brent.

This is starting on BBC 4 soon, I wouldnt be suprised if they started airing the radio show again soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/features/flight-conchords.shtml

The HBO one night stand is what got me into them a couple of years ago. I've seen them live a few times in NY, and they're way better in person (as you'd expect). All the songs were written before the HBO series began, and that's all their material from the past 5 years as far as I know, so who knows where they'll go from here.

I find the series entertaining, but nowhere near the genius that is the two of them at a live show, when you haven't heard the songs 50 times before. How I wish I could go back etc, etc...