IGNORED

Virgin one

mr_rmg

Not seen this mentioned

First details of Virgin 1 shows emerge

# Jun 16, 08:09 PM by Gavin

First details are beginning to emerge detailing the programmings for forthcoming VM channel, Virgin 1. Virgin Media have acquired the rights to The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The entire Star Trek franchise and The Real Exorcist.

VM have been busy acquiring the exclusive rights of top, first-run shows screen on Virgin 1, which will debut in the autumn. It will be available to VM, Sky and Freeview. The purchased shows include:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles, a Terminator spin-off from Warner Bros, follows the mother of John Connor as she fights off another rise of the machines.

The Star trek rights include the entire Star Trek franchises from The Next Generation to the Enterprise, produced by CBS Paramount. That alone weighs in at around 624 hours.

The Real Exorcist, produced by Pilgrim Films (makers of American Chopper), is the first direct Virgin commission from a U.S. independent film company. The show follows America’s top exorcist, the Reverend Bob Larson.

The Leo Houlding Project from UK independent production company Ginger Productions, in which extreme sports star Houlding “gives an adrenalin rush to people in serious need of excitement.”

Virgin 1 has a total budget of around £40m to spend so plenty more top-quality shows should be added soon.

Please note some of these shows are named by their working titles and may change prior to being broadcast.

Sounds good. Hopefully there will be a HD version.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is a FOX program, isn't it?

Warner Bros.

Slightly surprised to see it is coming to Sky too. And they bought the Star Treks, which Sky One has already shown eleventy billion times.

But without The Simpsons, 24, Lost, and all those other shows that, y'know, people actually watch, this is never going to be able to compete with Sky One is it?

But then I read the bit about "The Leo Houlding Project" which seems like it was taken straight from TVGoHome. And now I'm LOLing and have a positive impression of the channel. Aces.

And they bought the Star Treks, which Sky One has already shown eleventy billion times.

Not on freeview though. I haven't seen most of the series for years. I haven't watched DS9 since it finished on BBC2

Sounds like a quality channel to me. Just another reason for me not to bother getting sky

But without The Simpsons, 24, Lost, and all those other shows that, y'know, people actually watch, this is never going to be able to compete with Sky One is it?

Who watch's them on sky any more?*

*looks at his monthly usage on plusnet. Bit quiet at the moment though

How many seasons does a show have? I doubt Lost will last for more than one or two more, or 24 for that matter. The next series of BSG will be the last as well.

So what's left? Virgin are looking for tomorrows hits not yesterdays. Long overdue that Murdoch actually had some competition.

Speaking of yesterdays shows, Star Treks good padding as between all the different series over the decades it amounts to thousands of hours of TV time.

Love the way they will have that on Sky and Freeview too - a smart move on their part. It shows up Sky for being the meanies. You never know, it might force Sky's hand and make them put Sky One on Virgin Media.... maybe... hmmm.

Love the way they will have that on Sky and Freeview too - a smart move on their part. It shows up Sky for being the meanies. You never know, it might force Sky's hand and make them put Sky One on Virgin Media.... maybe... hmmm.

Could Sky block Virgin to their subscribers?

Could Sky block Virgin to their subscribers?

I'm not sure Sky is legally allowed to block channels completely. In any case, refusing to carry a rival channel probably isn't the cleverest thing Sky could do right now, what with all the other fights they have going on.

Speaking of yesterdays shows, Star Treks good padding as between all the different series over the decades it amounts to thousands of hours of TV time.
The Star trek rights include the entire Star Trek franchises from The Next Generation to the Enterprise, produced by CBS Paramount. That alone weighs in at around 624 hours

:ph34r:

I don't know about that: it seems surprising to us, perhaps - but more people watch UKTV Gold than Sky One, and the same is true for Living TV.

How many seasons does a show have? I doubt Lost will last for more than one or two more, or 24 for that matter. The next series of BSG will be the last as well.

Even so, I imagine it would be hard going bidding against Sky One for the next big thing. And, of course, if it happens to be a Fox production, it'll never go to Virgin, no matter what.

I don't know about that: it seems surprising to us, perhaps - but more people watch UKTV Gold than Sky One, and the same is true for Living TV.

I didn't know that actually... That's quite depressing. So the perfect channel will have reruns of One Foot in the Grave mixed in with 'Z-List celebrity wanders around darkened rooms while some guy tries to scare the shit out of her'. :lol:

I'm not sure Sky is legally allowed to block channels completely. In any case, refusing to carry a rival channel probably isn't the cleverest thing Sky could do right now, what with all the other fights they have going on.

Sky cannot block a channel. The most they can do is not put it on their EPG. But it can still be tuned in if it isn't on the EPG.

However, the article says it is coming to Sky, not just to digital satellite. That has to mean it is coming to the Sky service, on the Sky EPG.

• 3 months later...

this starts tonight at 9pm (sky channel 153).

I've just looked at the line up for the week and it's really quite shite. Basically it's Star trek DS9 starting with the pilot (so thats two months of crap before it gets any good), Knight rider, That 70's show, My wife and Kids, Takeshi's Castle and Fresh Prince and some random bollocks that Bravo show. Not bad shows, but 4 of those shows get played to death on other channels, so it's not offering anything new there - might as well just watch them on the other channels. I dare say the good stuff is to come, but it's not an amazing debut - far from it.

Double bill of Dog and then some poker. Virgin one you've made my night complete! :)

Surely they dont intend to directly compete with sky one. With virgin one not being a subscription channel they cant afford to pay megabucks to steal any decent shows that broadcast on terrestrial tv. Which cant be a bad thing for non sky viewers...

Hang on, this isn't even broadcasting in widescreen, is it?

Apparently it'll start broadcasting in WS after Christmas.

I was going to give The Riches a go, but it clashed with some other stuff, so I didn't bother (although it looks like it's repeated on friday and sunday anyway).