Contra 4 DS!

gizmo1990

Ok I must admit it took me my entire first 9 lives to get through the first level on normal. So I thought "fuck that" and started over on easy. Got past the first level easily enough (as easy as a Contra game is) then made it to the boss on the second level on my final life. BAM! Smashed by a giant fucking spike from that cunting alien boss. I hate this game, but I fucking love it to absolute pieces at the same time.

I will complete this, oh yes, I will complete this.

Miraculously, I made it through level 1 on normal without dying last night, probably because I've got all the enemy movements committed to memory now. Sadly, it all fell away early in level 2.

No-one's trying this on hard mode, are they?

Roll on JC's birthday!

Apparently this sucker has a full nine levels, which could well make it the longest run 'n' gun title ever (this side of the excruciatingly drawn-out Metal Slug 3, at least). I've also heard it gets far harder than Contra III towards the end, so I'll have a lot to get stuck into over the holidays (single-credit stickler). :P

To the folks who are struggling, I'd recommend just plugging away at it consistently. You'll be surprised how quickly everything starts to fall into place if you keep playing a couple of credits a day (3D-enthusiasts need not worry about their flagging twitch skills - memorisation is half the battle). Contra games are always deceptively manageable, and incredibly rewarding. :(

Oh, and don't wait for a price drop, support this stuff!

That's bollocks, lad. Contra always wore its American action film influences on its sleeve, and who understands that kind of art direction better than a bunch of burger-scoffing yankees? I see no reason why the people responsible for Shantae don't deserve a fair crack of the whip. I'd definitely prefer Souji Taro to be doing the soundtrack again, though.

Oh, and I'm afraid some of you might just be a bit crap. :(

Contra III will take you no more than a couple of hours to beat on a single credit if you just get stuck into it. SS, however, is a total memory test, but it's even more manageable for it.

It's one of the only games I've done on hard - that's saying something! The extra brain bit on the helicopter is a beast!

I... I... I'm almost scared to admit this, but this has become my favourite Contra ever*. I know, I know, herecy and all that, but it really is a stunning game. Maybe the two 'Classic Contra corridor' levels aren't as good as the rest, but my God, I never expected this consistency in pure awesome.

I have beaten the game on Easy and Normal (I can see myself beat Normal with just one credit now; I'll try to do that before the year ends) and the 40 Challenges are great stuff. Diabolical (especially the Friendly Fire missions, where you're not allowed to kill hostages... which goes against every fucking Contra-instinct of 'kill every son of a bitch that moves') but good fun. The relief and pride that washes over you after beating such a challenge, is immense. The unlockables are great as well. Contra 1 and 2! Probotector! Boobies!

Can't wait to play this in co-op with another Contra-enthusiast.

Oh, and can someone please change the thread's subtitle? WayForward did a fucking AMAZING job; let there be no doubt about this game's quality! Everyone get this now! Dear God, I hope this game sells well.

*EDIT: I've never played Hard Corps, though.

Oh man, I am completely fucking on you with this. I've finished easy and normal as well... you know the only thing that pissed me off? The fact that I've finished challenge mode as well (those speed run levels are a complete bitch, especially the missile silo climbing mission and the hatching room mission... you make it with like barely a single second left :| nail bitingly tense stuff) and all I could think as I was finishing mission 40 was "OH MY FUCK CONTRA 3 IS GOING TO BE THE FINAL UNLOCKABLE!!!" then all I get is a museum and sound gallery. Although saying that, the museum does have boobtastically brilliant pictures in it.

Seriously though, amazing game, probably one of my favourite games of the year.

Low Ammo 1 has an easy strategy to it though, just make sure you know which container has C, then pick that up and just avoid until you get to the sub. The spread effect of the weapon takes it out no problem.

Speed Run 4 took me a few tries, but I basically lucked out on it by holding R and NOT MOVING AT ALL, just aiming as they only take like one shot to take down. To be honest, Speed Run 1 is a LOT harder, mainly because in 4 the enemies aren't fucking picking you up and moving you/dropping you.

Seriously though Speed Runs 5 and 6... they had me wanting to fucking snap my DS in half, but when you nail it, oh man, you'll have this shit eating grin on your face for the rest of the day. They both require an absolutely perfect run with pin point accuracy. Hard, but so worth it... you'll probably experience the same disappointment that I did in the fact that you beat challenge mode (probably one of the most hard things I've ever done in a game) just to unlock a really crappy museum/sound test at the end of it.

TOP GAME, LOVE IT TO BITS! Probably going to end up being my GOTY, unless I get a Wii this Christmas and MG.

Glad to hear all the positives, even after the promising previews i was still reluctant to look forward to it, but now i’m just about to order it. Also the Topic Description of this post is right up there with ‘some kind of cheering game’ :(

Sucks to be the twats saying this would be rubbish because it was not being developed by a bunch of japs.

:( Yeah it does suck, but in a great way, glad I was wrong, must say for me its not because they where not Japanese but the previous games they had made on there website where a bit underwhelming.... I just found out (spoiler unlockable

you can be robots!!! you just need to unlock it, as i was raised on them robots i prefer them

)

:( Yeah it does suck, but in a great way, glad I was wrong, must say for me its not because they where not Japanese but the previous games they had made on there website where a bit underwhelming.... I just found out (spoiler unlockable

you can be robots!!! you just need to unlock it, as i was raised on them robots i prefer them

)

I was naming no names, just poking fun at the shite posted in the OP of this thread.

I have to say again, that matt bozon and the guys at WFT are probably one of the only western studios i'd trust with a 2D handheld title and expect it to be done with any degree of style, or love, though I guess will be their biggest challenge yet, and i'll be more than happy to contribute, and do my very best in my capacity as a graphics artist if asked to help out.

I ignored this earlier, but since the game has turned out so amazingly well I must know where your confidence in them has come from!

Mine arrived today - had a quick blast on it, but it was so GODDAMN MANLY that it drained my DS of all its power in five minutes, so I've had to put it on to charge :D

Seems awesome though - it was kicking my arse all over the place, which is what I look for in a Contra game :(

You might appreciate this review of Contra III then: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=contra3_owns

I've no problem with the difficulty level in this game even though it's a total memory test, but I've been caught out by one flaw a couple of times. If you die at certain points on some levels, the game spawns you right over a pit! So when you come back on, you just die again straight away... and again... and again - until you work out what's happening and manoeuvre your dude onto whichever side is closest as you drop in.

I really like this. Previous contra games I've played have seemed a bit... slow or something. Not that fun, but this is great. Have to play on easy just now - get murdered by level 2 even if I do.

This has turned out so well that I want metal slug on the DS. I know there's a GBA version, but it's not the same.

I ignored this earlier, but since the game has turned out so amazingly well I must know where your confidence in them has come from!

I worked with them on sigma star saga, not a brilliant game, but I knew the had the potential, they also know the best contract guys for the job.