Some DOS Graphic Adventures

Lorfarius

Managed to sneak a copy of DOSBox onto the company network. Been happily playing the likes of Monkey Island today and want to play more. So far I have the following:

Beneath a Steel Sky

Monkey Island 1 & 2

Day of the Tentacle

Both Indy games

Ultima Collection

But what next?

I always had a soft spot for Flight of the Amazon Queen, and Under a Killing Moon is a classic, if you can overlook the 3D graphics. Oh, and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a must-play.

I seem to recall enjoying the Innocent Until Caught series, but I'm not sure how well they'd stand up these days.

No sound... I wouldn't recommend you try Loom then, it'd be virtually impossible to remember any of the note-patterns needed for the spells. Under a Killing Moon might be out too - I don't recall if there was an option for subs, and it'd probably spoil the game somewhat, not being able to hear the voices of the amazing actors.

I assume he meant Dune... which is an excellent choice. You'll miss out on the great music, but it's still a solid title, Cryo's best game by far. It's also very unforgiving, so if you do play it, save regularly!

Gabriel Knight! (The first one, that is - the second is slightly embarrassingly full of imperfectly-budgeted FMV and the third, being 3D-card-needy, wouldn't really work with DOSBox).

Anyway, it's probably the best point and click adventure outside of the hallowed likes of Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle, and certainly the best "serious" example the genre has ever produced.

I always had a soft spot for Flight of the Amazon Queen, and Under a Killing Moon is a classic, if you can overlook the 3D graphics. Oh, and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is a must-play.

I seem to recall enjoying the Innocent Until Caught series, but I'm not sure how well they'd stand up these days.

I downloaded (for test purposes of course) a CD rip of I Have No Mouth the other day because I have been wanting to play it for years and noticed it is dosbox compatible. But I can't actually do anything with the game - it seems to start ok and you get a screen with the main characters, like the game has started - but I can't seem to actually do anything - don't know if it is a dodgy copy, or just dodgy in general on Dosbox. I had a mouse cursor but it doesnt affect anything on screen and the game doesn't seem to respond to keyboard presses or anything I could think of to do. I can't quite remember exactly why it didn't work, I just remember that it didn't.

Is this just hard to get working on a modern PC setup or is it just that I got a dodgy copy - or do you have to do something weird to start the game or something?

I downloaded (for test purposes of course) a CD rip of I Have No Mouth the other day because I have been wanting to play it for years and noticed it is dosbox compatible. But I can't actually do anything with the game - it seems to start ok and you get a screen with the main characters, like the game has started - but I can't seem to actually do anything - don't know if it is a dodgy copy, or just dodgy in general on Dosbox. I had a mouse cursor but it doesnt affect anything on screen and the game doesn't seem to respond to keyboard presses or anything I could think of to do. I can't quite remember exactly why it didn't work, I just remember that it didn't.

Is this just hard to get working on a modern PC setup or is it just that I got a dodgy copy - or do you have to do something weird to start the game or something?

Have you tried changing anything in the DosBox config file? Messing with EMS etc?

That's odd. It's unplayable for me on Dosbox, but that's simply due to performance issues (that and every other title ever designed for a post-386 PC) - it stutters like hell. The cursor control works fine. No idea what's up in your case, I'm afraid!

That's odd. It's unplayable for me on Dosbox, but that's simply due to performance issues (that and every other title ever designed for a post-386 PC) - it stutters like hell. The cursor control works fine. No idea what's up in your case, I'm afraid!

It could be that its just running really really slowly come to think of it. There is like a cord of music every few seconds.

Not really because I find it hard to remember back that far to how things like EMS/ Soundblaster etc worked!

Any tips?

If you open the config file in the Start menu shortcut it includes a load of hints on what to type. Its just a matter of putting true or false next to certain settings and then hitting save. You dont need to know anything about DOS to use it :)

You might like to add the following under the autoexec section:

[autoexec]

mount c c:\Games\

mount g G:\ -t cdrom

c:\

dir

This will do all the setup nonsense automatically everytime you load DosBox. Just remember that you need to create a folder on your C drive called Games and dump all your Dos programs into it. It basically turns the Games folder into a C drive all by itself but only within the confides of the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Full Throttle deserves a mention.

I liked the "Legend of Kyrandia" series as well eventhough it lacked the depth and charm we saw in the Lucas Arts games.

Eventhough many would disagree I think The Dig should be in any graphic adventure lovers collection.

All games mentioned in this thread should be played using Scumm VM and not Dos Box. Scumm VM emulates everything to a tee, even the fantastic midi music most games used back then. It also have support for both floppy versions and cd rom version, either via originals or via iso images/zip files on your harddrive.

www.scummvm.org