Tennis

Miner Willy

Say what you want about his personality and interviews, but that performance last night was ACE. Never been so caught up in a tennis match before. I hope he goes out fighting equally as hard against Nedal.. (or sneaks through!)

I don't really give a stuff about his personality. It's amusing that Henman used to be criticised for not showing his emotion, and when Murray does he's an arrogant exhibitionist. At least the guy has a bit of passion for what he does.

Half of the musicians in bands I listen to are absolute cocks, doesn't mean i don't like their music.

I don't really give a stuff about his personality. It's amusing that Henman used to be criticised for not showing his emotion, and when Murray does he's an arrogant exhibitionist. At least the guy has a bit of passion for what he does.

Half of the musicians in bands I listen to are absolute cocks, doesn't mean i don't like their music.

I don't think you can possibly have watched any tennis outside of this, then, for the last couple of years. I'm not calling him an arrogant exhibitionist, and his display yesterday was great. I'm just saying that he has a really well deserved reputation for sulking, whingeing and drop-shotting his way to high and low profile losses - that's not passion. If he always went around shouting like McEnroe i'd be really happy to support him.

I'll be very happily supporting Nadal tomorrow, and I reckon he'll destroy him.

I don't think you can possibly have watched any tennis outside of this, then, for the last couple of years. I'm not calling him an arrogant exhibitionist, and his display yesterday was great. I'm just saying that he has a really well deserved reputation for sulking, whingeing and drop-shotting his way to high and low profile losses - that's not passion. If he always went around shouting like McEnroe i'd be really happy to support him.

I'll be very happily supporting Nadal tomorrow, and I reckon he'll destroy him.

Not a correct assumption, I follow tennis as closely as I possibly can. I know Murray can be a cock at times, I simply don't care.

He gets angry, and sometimes directs that anger towards his coaches. I think that's one area where he can justifiably be criticised; the time he was shouting at Gilbert was pretty poor - but that's a while back. I'm not sure I'd describe him as someone who overly sulks or whinges; he's a guy who doesn't hide his feelings, and the fact is that he's been in the limelight since he was very young, and has had to deal with a lot of frustration in terms of injuries and confusion about the best way to play his game. A lot of young players have a set way to play, but Murray's full of variety and I think in the past he's not always been sure what his game plan should be.

I'm not sure what his drop shot has to do with it. It's one of the most natural shots he has (remember how he totally confused Nalbandian with it as a teenager three year ago); he just needs to pick it a little better. When he uses it clear-headed it's an amazing weapon; I just think he sometimes resorts to it when he's not quite sure what shot to play, or when he's lost a little faith with his groundstrokes. To be fair, Djokovic does the same, but arguably Murray's is the more natural shot.

Fair enough, it's only really tennis I do it, mainly because I used to play competitively as a junior so I like to see british players doing well to encourage younger players to come through. I know what a struggle it is to get anywhere in the sport in this country, so anything that raises it's profile is a good thing.

I certainly don't do it with F1, Hamilton can fuck right off (insert smiley).

:unsure:

I just can't support someone who I consider to be a bad sportsman simply because he comes from somewhere near where I was born, I guess. In sport, for me, personality is everything.

Yeah but personality is completely missing in tennis. Federer, for all his talent, is dull as dishwater. The main reason I watched and enjoyed Murray was his insanity on the court. He's no McEnroe but he's the closest thing we've got right now. I'd rather see a pair of nutters go at it than a couple nicely-nicely no fuss stroke merchants. Actually, for choice I'd take one of each for some contrast and some proper needle.

I'm not sure what his drop shot has to do with it. It's one of the most natural shots he has (remember how he totally confused Nalbandian with it as a teenager three year ago); he just needs to pick it a little better. When he uses it clear-headed it's an amazing weapon; I just think he sometimes resorts to it when he's not quite sure what shot to play, or when he's lost a little faith with his groundstrokes. To be fair, Djokovic does the same, but arguably Murray's is the more natural shot.

Disagree. He got away with loads of really terrible drop shots from the 4th set onwards yesterday that Nadal would have eaten up. I don't think it ever looks natural, and you can see it coming miles away.

Disagree. He got away with loads of really terrible drop shots from the 4th set onwards yesterday that Nadal would have eaten up. I don't think it ever looks natural, and you can see it coming miles away.

Do you think tiring an opponent who was beginning to struggle might have been a factor there? I'd say it's a great shot, when he picks the right ball. Loads of times he used it superbly, especially when Gasquet was moving backwards. It's when he gets unsure that it gets him in trouble, and arguably I'd say that's a flaw in the rest of his game (i.e. the confidence to really go for his groundstrokes) rather than any problem with the technique of the drop shot itself. When I said the shot was natural, I meant the execution - and I totally stand by that. Few players hit it better. The shot selection can improve, no doubt.

Nadal's unbelievably quick, but there's a decent argument that you have to bring him in with drop shots occasionally - even if you don't always win the point (perhaps more so on clay, but true on grass too). I think good use of it tomorrow is another requirement for success.

Fair enough. Gasquet was as bad in the final two sets as Murray was good in my opinion - it was a great match.

Nadal's unbelievably quick, but there's a decent argument that you have to bring him in with drop shots occasionally - even if you don't always win the point (perhaps more so on clay, but true on grass too). I think good use of it tomorrow is another requirement for success.

I think Nadal is far too good for Murray's drop-shot, and if he tries it constantly he'll get embarrassed. We'll see. Anyone who's tried drop-shots against Nadal so far has come away looking pretty stupid.

GO NADAL!

To be fair, anyone who tries pretty much anything against Nadal usually ends up looking silly on a grass or clay court - but you have to try something to stop him dictating play. A *few* - well selected - drop shots seems like a sensible ploy, but there's not doubt that if he overplays it Nadal will gobble them up for fun.

I'm kind of playing the opposition anyway - sport is more fun with friendly banter. :unsure:

In reality I think it'll be really close, but only if Murray takes it to Nadal with his backhand. I think he'll have to volley more and just accept he'll probably get passed on at least 50% of them. He won't win in a defensive battle.

He may regret saying it out loud as it got the press on his back, but I'd put money on the fact he meant it. Most people from the other UK nations would hate to see England win the World Cup, just because we'd neverr hear the end of it from the London centric media. The question itself was a stab at him. Did they ever ask Hemnan if he'd support France or Germany in a football tournament? The simple truth is his answer was part joke, see the turning up in opposition jersey, and part truth, he's not English and would be hit with the endless re-runs, hype, BBC/ITV wankfest that would follow the victory of a team he would consider rivals.

I think Murray has a bit of a dry sense of humour anyway, which a lot of people can't take to either. The muscle man bit last night was certianly aimed at the press box who have questioned his strength and fitness.

Although with that said I think Nadal will hammer him in the quarters.

You've never lived outside Scotland though have you? Murray has, now has some perspective and probably thinks it was a dumb thing to say.

You've never lived outside Scotland though have you? Murray has, now has some perspective and probably thinks it was a dumb thing to say.

I have actually, and some of the people who most strongly hold that sentiment that I know do live outside Scotland (in fact a few of them in the sunny climbs of Engerland).

Supporting Rangers is Manchester where you? Joining the English fans cheering on the Germans in Euro 2008? It's sporting rivalry, get a grip ya fud.

Sporting rivalry would be Scotland v England. I grew up with too many Irish-supporting (but never set foot there) fuckwits to find the idea of being anti English (especially when you live here) anything other than beyond lame.

Sporting rivalry would be Scotland v England. I grew up with too many Irish-supporting (but never set foot there) fuckwits to find the idea of being anti English (especially when you live here) anything other than beyond lame.

To be honest I could handle England winning the WC. I have some great English mates. I've had some good times in various parts of the country, but I'd have to go on a kill crazy rampage just due to knowing how annoying the media coverage would be. It's bad enough with '66, christ I have to suffer the '67 green and white rendition to many times.

I don't see wanting the English football team to do badly as being anti-English (I actually couldn't care how well they do in any other sport) I just see it as a safety mechanism to stop me having to slaughter million of innocents on my way to Broadcasting House in a Rambo stylee.

how annoying the media coverage would be. It's bad enough with '66,

It's only the Scots who seem to go on (and on, and on) about it. I don't think English people particularly care, it's history. We won it and got a gold star, end of. What do you want, for it to be wiped from history? Why is it so painful, I'd love it if Scotland won the World Cup! And Murray was like a hero in London yesterday, imagine an Englishman playing in Scotland.

It's only the Scots who seem to go on (and on, and on) about it. I don't think English people particularly care, it's history. We won it and got a gold star, end of. What do you want, for it to be wiped from history? Why is it so painful, I'd love it if Scotland won the World Cup! And Murray was like a hero in London yesterday, imagine an Englishman playing in Scotland.

It's the English based media that goes ON and ONNNN about it. Every football event has some significant time relevance to when England gloriously won the World Cup. It's 40 years, can they do it again? In '66 they kicked off at 7:45pm, does this give England an advantage?

Every. Single. Football. Event.

Of course you'd like Scotland to win the World Cup. Everyone loves an underdog.

It's the English based media that goes ON and ONNNN about it. Every football event has some significant time relevance to when England gloriously won the World Cup. It's 40 years, can they do it again? In '66 they kicked off at 7:45pm, does this give England an advantage?

Every. Single. Football. Event.

Well, being an Arsenal fan the English national side has little appeal to me right now. Maybe I've missed this media scamble to mention '66 or maybe it doesn't happen.

Anyway, this is off topic now..

Both my BBC HD and BBC 2 coverage are screwed atm.

Every other channel is fine.

Anyone else?

EDIT* Scrap that, pie in the sky on itv3 is garbbled as well.

Fucking Virgin media :unsure:

And Murray was like a hero in London yesterday, imagine an Englishman playing in Scotland.

To be honest the support anyone but England stuff I've seen normally only involves football*. I've seen a number of big name English athletes get huge applause at events up here, even when competing for England. Hell I'm a huge Tour de France fan and I'd love to see Wiggins or Cav win a stage or two.

*Possibly the egg chasers too, but then that's just absurd as the only folk in Scotland who care about egg chasing tend to English ex-pats.

It's the English based media that goes ON and ONNNN about it

Can't remember the tourney, but me and a few mates had a bet to see how long it would take Motson to mention '66 in an opening game once. For the sake of clarity England were not playing in the game, or even in that group. The winning time was five seconds from kick-off. :(

Anyway thread totally derailed, sorry folks. Back to the tennis.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Anyone who acts like that on a court deserves a proper crushing. I'm surprised with all this support! Everyone I know, many of whom work in the same university sports department that I do and one or two who have met Murray, think he's an egotistical little tit. You wouldn't catch Federer flexing his biceps proudly on court (or cursing when he loses a point, or losing his composure in any way - its called sportsmanship), even if it does draw extra howls from a crowd of sardonically nationalistic apes.

Hopefully Nadal will give him a good slapping about. Maybe the ego will take him to the other end of the emotion scale, and reduce him to a sobbing wreck :(

That's exactly what Federer was like when he's was Murray's age. He was notorious for it and only became the player he is today after he started curbing his outbursts.

Great match, but if Nadal doesn't beat Murray in 3 I'll be amazed.

Zheng is causing Vaidisova all sorts of problems. Zheng ain't dropped a set so far this tournament - very impressive.

Just taken the first with two breaks...

And Zheng won in three. Another great performance, well-deserved. :(

I was contemplating putting a tenner on Zheng for the title on Saturday when she was at 33-1. Needless to say I didn't bother, and she's now down to 11-1. I still think she could do it.