IGNORED

Tennis

Miner Willy

5 minutes ago, Minion said:

not sure what we can call Djokovic, The Prince?

The Dark Prince is how I think about him (totally irrationally of course, seems an interesting guy and has overcome a lot to come back, notwithstanding being one of the best of the best of all time).  

Serena is utterly amazing - in her tennis and beyond.

Slight departure: I actually met her and Venus years back when I was court covering at Wimbledon - must have been 97 or 98. They sat on my court watching some unknown US player who was obviously a friend of theirs. I remember chatting with them while the match was on, and they were very nice, normal and friendly - and I recall really good fun. Serena especially has had some missteps down the years, but I think my respect for them both has developed as they've matured. Especially Serena, who really seems to understand the power of her voice, and I think has good views on the world. I think we're lucky to have outspoken politically-minded players like her around - Murray is similar on the men's side.

In other news: I completely missed all of the tennis yesterday. Bloody kids birthday parties. 

The host actually didn't put the tennis on, so I felt I couldn't ask... And then he went and put the football on instead. Surely nobody in the world cares about 3/4th place playoffs. So annoying.

19 hours ago, Minion said:

Seems like they are playing under the roof, could have played with it open if both players agreed but I guess one of them didn't guessing that was Djoko! Nadal still has a chance but it's do or die and he takes a while to warm up these days.

This was such a stupid decision. Obviously Djokovic would never choose to open it, but the club should have just made the call. Presumably they then opened it for the women? Bizarre logic. 

15 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Well, I'm happy Djokovic is back. Good news for tennis, not so good news for Nadal and Federer I guess. :)

I'd have loved to see the current Federer play Djokovic today. We haven't yet seen how newly (even more) aggressive Federer would do, and with courts speeding up again in the past couple of years it would play slightly more in Federer's favour. Here's hoping for some good US Open clashes from the big 4 and emerging talents - could be an amazing tournament. 

Who's gonna be the most fucked, Anderson from his mammoth match on Friday or Djoko from his gruelling match against Nadal Yesterday? 

Congrats to Novak. It's good to see him back winning slams again. I felt a bit sorry for Anderson today as, after the first two sets, it looked like he was heading for a crushing defeat but, credit to him for making the third set competitive. I guess those previous two rounds really took their toll physically, as well as the inevitable nerves on the day.

• 1 month later...

Not sure whether I find Murray's performance worrying or cause for optimism. I guess a bit of both, though I'll be very surprised if he goes too far in this competition. He still looks a very long way from where he was. Still, really good to have him back on the big stage. 

I thought Paire was a potential banana skin for Federer, but he's been pretty poor aside from a run in the middle of the first set. Still not sure about Fed's level; Kyrgios always plays well against him - i think he'll need to improve on tonight's performance to get through that. 

What a set of tennis that was from Nadal and Khachanov. Amazing play from Khachanov, but I can't believe he can maintain this level. 

My one criticism is that I can't work out why he stopped hitting the wide slider serve from the Deuce court - it was working great, and gives more surprise factor on the flat one down the T.