rllmuk

I've been away so only just watched this. Pretty amazing stuff. My main response is disappointment, mostly for Osaka, but also for the way Serena reacted. I think she's brilliant in many ways, but let herself down badly here. I think when the dust settles she will accept that she got this one wrong. Each of the punishments were merited and by the book, and you could see in Ramos' face that he didn't want to do it but felt he had no option. Horrible situation for him too.

That said, I don't interpret it as a sense of entitlement, or even that it was being a bad loser (she was winning that set when it kicked off, and still had a decent chance). I think it was just an exceptionally tense and emotional situation. She genuinely (but incorrectly) seemed to feel the victim of a mistake; the decisions and resulting punishments escalated rapidly, and she responded very poorly.

• Upvote 5

Writers are now making it all about Serena and her hardships throughout her life, no doubt all are true being a black woman in sport, and I've witnessed myself tons of comments aimed at her in a nasty way.

However, this wasn't about that. This was about her being wrong to an umpire that is nothing but consistent. Evidence suggests he tows this line to all players, male, female, black, white. But of course, high level journalists and sports stars are all back slapping each other whilst rushing to praise Serena with Osaka seemingly forgotten. It's embarrassing in every way and if you disagree with them, you're obviously a racist, despite Osaka being half Japanese and half Haitian. 

Edit, now Lineker has waded in and the circle is complete. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

She's been fined $17,000. $3,000 for racket abuse, $4,000 for coaching and $10,000 for verbal abuse.

This will be deducted from her $1.85 million prize.

Krygios was banned and fined higher when he made disgusting comments about Stan on the court and accused of tanking but Ramos was being sexist? It's crazy, The Guardian have a story about other decisions he's made against other players like he is some evil nutjob, he's just doing his job!

It's all getting a bit much now. They are making it all about a black woman's threat to the white males society whilst conveniently ignoring the fines handed out to many male players in the past. They are ignoring the hate Murray for for joking about being onto Scottish, ignoring every little thing in the face of their agenda. 

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

What was low was Serena playing the 'I'm doing it for my daughter and for women's equality" card. Then threatening the ref by saying he will never be on the court again. What self righteousness.

Fuck off you bad loser.

The quote was :- 'I’ve seen other men call other umpires several things. I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff.'

All kinds of stuff......     

To have the outburst on court I could sort of go fine, people who compete at top level sport are competitive and sometimes being that competitive has a flip side that you sometimes don't quite control.  

To try and turn it, into some bigger moral crusade agenda is disgusting.  She was out there fighting for herself in a 1-1 tennis match with another woman and she wanted to win and got carried away there is less shame in that.  If she wanted a moral crusade she could have raised this issue after the match in a way that was respectful to all involved, she certainly has the power/status to be able to do so.

Using your power/reputation to threaten someone's career, and thinking that is in any way acceptable, that is entitlement pure and simple.    

Most sports have issues with inconsistency of officiating, football it is constantly a problem, this was nothing more.         

The one thing this has made me think is that fines dished out for behaviour during tournaments should be scaled against the winnings the player (male or female) makes from that tournament.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Djokovic is back to being the overwhelming favourite on hard courts (and a decent bet on others too). I thought he was unplayable at times, and his return was - even by his own standards - ridiculous. You'd have to be an Isner or Karlovic to actually get a decent number of free points on first serves, and every time you have to hit a second serve you're immediately the underdog in the rally.

That said, it makes sense that he was this good in the US, where the courts are slower now. Australia - historically his best tournament - is now much the quicker of the two, which is less to his liking. He will be the favourite there, but more susceptible to someone on fire, or an aggressive attacker like Federer.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-wta-us-open-sexism-carlos-ramos

This really irritates me. The thrust of it is seems to be "it's okay to berate the umpires" with some of the quotes. If they go for "we are going to clamp down hard on anyone regardless of sex telling at umpires", great. 

I'd really like someone else to come through on the Men's side. The person breaking Federer and Nadal renewed dominance is... a renewed Djokovic. 

11 hours ago, kensei said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-wta-us-open-sexism-carlos-ramos

This really irritates me. The thrust of it is seems to be "it's okay to berate the umpires" with some of the quotes. If they go for "we are going to clamp down hard on anyone regardless of sex telling at umpires", great. 

I'd really like someone else to come through on the Men's side. The person breaking Federer and Nadal renewed dominance is... a renewed Djokovic. 

I think this is the problem, with the mixed messages it makes it seem like they're fighting for the equality for unsportsmanlike conduct.  

They should be talking about the coaching call if they want support.  I just don't get how they can try to defend the third violation.

That was very good. I think complaint about the lack of a soft warning prior to one being issued for the coaching violation would probably have been fair, given it seems to be the norm. 

Though I do wish sports would enforce their rules or get rid of the ones they aren't using; see also the rugby scrum feed. I suspect coaching on the line is less to do with the Grand Slams than it is with youth tournaments and the like, though. 

• 1 month later...

Wimbledon will have a final set tie break from next year, to be used if the score reaches 12-12 in the final set. The aim obviously being to avoid lengthy games such as the Isner - Anderson semi-final this year, and the knock on effects it has on scheduling and player exhaustion.

Having it kick in at 12-12 is fine. When I read the headline at first I thought it would be a standard 6-6 tie-break like they have in the US Open, which would suck. Still gives room for those epic fifth set nailbiters as the light is fading on a Sunday night.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It isn't exactly a surprise but yeah, a real shame. He's still relatively young, he would have had several years at the top left were it not for this. It sounds like if he's unlucky with future treatment he might have a lot of pain with even just walking for the rest of his life. 

Terribly sad. 

It was expected.

I watched him struggle at Washington to beat a journey man and then in tears after his victory. I assumed he might need time. But he didn’t look right last week after a few months training. Hip injuries are the worst. He could have stayed on the tour like Hewitt and just be playing. But Murray wants to be competitive not just make the numbers. I didn’t think he would stay around if he wasn’t competitive.

Sad to see the first of the big four retire. Everyone said Rafa would go first. But I think he will end up retiring last. He just seems to come back after every injury better. 

Theres talk of Fed going after the Laver cup. But I think he will give the Olympic another shot.