rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Parappa

Wipeout HD

Wipeout originated on the PS1, not the Saturn. If you're not liking the reverse-engineer solution, then they could have still gone with the approximation solution. And just as you seem to think that the FFVII models used a generic modelling program, it's entirely possible the same applies to the Wipeout games.

I find it hard to believe that so many devcos would just lose code like that.

I'm not a games dev, but I am a windows app dev and in our place we have source code going back to the 80s! And it's not like we're a particularly well organized place either.

If you're not liking the reverse-engineer solution, then they could have still gone with the approximation solution.

Yeah, I've no issue with that. You'd just need to get some of the mapa artists to play the original games enough to pull it off properly.

Relatively straight-foward - just put an infinite time code into a PS1 using an Action Replay and fly around the course to your hearts content. It would probably take a skilled modeller less than a day to get a rough recreation of a single track. Once you had some basic data you could just fine-tune it later in accordance to the new engine.

Most Wipeout fans I know consider most of the early tracks to be superior to anything to recently appear in a Wipeout game, so I wouldn't underplay the significance of their exclusion from this new package. It's a bit like making a Ridge Racer best-of without including the original Ridge Racer track.

I find it hard to believe that so many devcos would just lose code like that.

I'm not a games dev, but I am a windows app dev and in our place we have source code going back to the 80s! And it's not like we're a particularly well organized place either.

In Psygnosis' case they've moved office a few times since WipEout I think, and had a lot of staff move about. Plus it's not like corporate software dev where you're spending 60% of your budget on maintenance after release, and you really are boned if you can't pull up the source code.

Relatively straight-foward - just put an infinite time code into a PS1 using an Action Replay and fly around the course to your hearts content. It would probably take a skilled modeller less than a day to get a rough recreation of a single track. Once you had some basic data you could just fine-tune it later in accordance to the new engine.

Most Wipeout fans I know consider most of the early tracks to be superior to anything to recently appear in a Wipeout game, so I wouldn't underplay the significance of their exclusion from this new package. It's a bit like making a Ridge Racer best-of without including the original Ridge Racer track.

Certainly, but you're still running the risk of Twin Snaking it and having some of the finer details in the tracks missed to widespead rage. All the same- a WipEout Classic Track Pack for £3.99 on PSN? Ca-ching. Could happen.

Even if you had access to the original track data, they would highly likely need tweaking anyway to work with the new engine. I don't even own a PS3 yet, but a really well considered Wipeout retro-pack would definitely be something that would help tip the scales. Oh, and all of Tim Wrights original music too.

Oh, and all of Tim Wrights original music too.

Yeah, definiately- and it'd be relatively easy. Didn't they do soundtrack packs for the PSP ones?

Tim Wright made a post on the Wipeoutzone.com forum recently saying he'd contact Sony about the possibility of contibuting to th HD soundtrack and they'd pretty much told him he wasn't needed... although I forget exactly what he said and I can't look it up right now as the work firewall doesn't like gaming sites... of course that doesn't exclude the possibility of a soundtrack pack with tracks from the previous games, though.

I agree that the lack of tracks from the PS1 Wipeouts is a disappointment. Even just a few of the classics - Gare D'Europa, Sargamatha, Manortop - would make a big difference to me. A downloadable pack at some point in the future would be better than nothing.

Certainly, but you're still running the risk of Twin Snaking it and having some of the finer details in the tracks missed to widespead rage. All the same- a WipEout Classic Track Pack for £3.99 on PSN? Ca-ching. Could happen.

That'll happen when they magically find their "lost" code for Wipeout 1

Lost the code, yeah of course you did. :lol:

Actually I went for a job at Psygnosis, yeeeears ago - didn't look that organized, so anything is possible.

That'll happen when they magically find their "lost" code for Wipeout 1

Lost the code, yeah of course you did. :lol:

Gamedevs are imfamous for losing old assets, including code, from what I've heard over the years. There's not much reason to keep it around for ten years except as a museum item, especially not your map files if they're in a redundant format and you're moving to a new workstation for the umpteenth time and can't be arsed copying them over. Maybe I'm wrong and they keep hardcopies of every uncompiled line of code and art asset and map, but I don't see it happening.

It's not like game developers are known to be the most organised of people.

Aye, I'm thankful I work in a lawless software house with minimal practices compared to the experience of game coding. Software engineering, wuh?

I'm sure the very first Edge article about Wipeout, which was published a few months before its release, had pictures of a few wireframe tracks is. They should just scan those in. Easy.

Game Project Manager: Do you have a copy of all the maps you've spent the last 6 months designing?

Game Artist: Yeah, they are over there on that floppy on top of the speaker, just lift the coffee cup off it. Oh can I have it back when you are done? - it's my only copy.

Gamedevs are imfamous for losing old assets, including code, from what I've heard over the years. There's not much reason to keep it around for ten years except as a museum item, especially not your map files if they're in a redundant format and you're moving to a new workstation for the umpteenth time and can't be arsed copying them over. Maybe I'm wrong and they keep hardcopies of every uncompiled line of code and art asset and map, but I don't see it happening.

If the BBC can deliberately wipe old shows, anything is possible.

That screenshot is very F-Zero. There was an insane course in GX where you could switch tracks.

Rockband Region-free (and now) not enough for you?

Unfortunately not although it's a close call. I already have GHII on 360 which I've not finished yet so I've told myself to wait for rock band until it launches here so I get a chance to finish it. In any case, I never buy games or hardware in the last month before xmas because I tend to have a few turn up in the stocking. I think GH3 was a tenner cheaper in toys r us today on ps3 than 360, but I may have been wrong since they seem to have ps2 games littered amongst ps3 ones on the shelf.

I think the wife might be trying to get me a wii, but I don't really want one anymore... I've tried just about everything short of saying I don't want one, just in case she's already got hold of one. I wouldn't put it past her to have bought one in august or something and not let on.

it looks SO much better then that trailer shows trust me

You have inside info sir? Please enlighten me! Can't get that EG trailer to run....

Did you check WipEout HD for neGcon compatibility? ;-)

Did you check WipEout HD for neGcon compatibility? ;-)

That would be the coolest.

I'm more excited about this than GT5 Prologue. I expect they'll make us wait until the summer though :D