rllmuk
Parappa

Wipeout HD

I wouldnt go that far, but it is good looking. It just gets too hard though, it reaches a point you're going so fast to be almost uncontrollable. A PS4 version of 1, 2097 and 3 remastered with online play would be amazing, but I fear for the soundtracks.

• Upvote 3

The best parts of 1 and 2097's soundtracks were the in-house tracks anyway; remastered versions of the originals with only the Cold Storage tracks (i.e. the soundtracks of the PC and Saturn versions) would be pretty much my ideal.

• Upvote 1

I agree, but 3 was just about all Sasha (my favourite ever dance artist), although I could see him allowing it for a reasonable fee and credit.

I remember I compiled soundtracks of 1, 2 and 3 to put onto a ps3 for HD, yonks ago and putting them up on here, with the proper vocal versions and better mixes than the ones on 2 in particular. Still got em somewhere

I skipped the HD games but 2048 was easily the most fun I had with Wipeout since 2097.

Did they say whether or not online multiplayer was in?

Yeah, WipEout HD was all about making your own soundtrack anyway. Hopefully the new one will have something like that: a proper custom in-game soundtrack, rather than just playing a Spotify playlist over everything.

Also, it's much easier playing this with the d-pad.

Hi all, maybe someone in here knows something about Retroarch and Wipeout controls.

OMG that looks amazing.

I am so annoyed that Sony cancelled the series, after making it in-house. It's my favourite series. It's why I will keep my PS4.

I've never heard of Dreams, but whatever, this is amazing looking.

Is Wipeout now dead? Pisses me off, the state of games/franchises these days sometimes.

• Upvote 5

Wipeout, Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3 are simply unrivalled racing games. Still are breathtakingly good.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, sharak said:

OMG that looks amazing.

I am so annoyed that Sony cancelled the series, after making it in-house. It's my favourite series. It's why I will keep my PS4.

I've never heard of Dreams, but whatever, this is amazing looking.

Is Wipeout now dead? Pisses me off, the state of games/franchises these days sometimes.

That's fantastic.

The Omega Collection is so good. I just wish that it wasn't all over.

It seems everything I like ends up like this, and generic crap floats to the top. Wii sports? Fuck off.

Having said that, Shenmue 3 happened, and there's some decent ports of arcade games, but FFS... they don't make 'em like they used to.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sharak said:

It seems everything I like ends up like this, and generic crap floats to the top. Wii sports? Fuck off.

Wii Sports was anything but generic. It was spectacularly fun too, particularly Resort.

• Upvote 3

OK fair play, I never played it, so I shouldn't knock it. I know there was a lot of shit released for the Wii! But I guess there is for anything. 

I suppose my point was that all the excellent and interesting IP gets bought out and then stranded, or simply not developed.

I would like Wipeout, Power Stone... these kind of games to be "brought back".

Yes, fully agree. Lots of great IP and franchises have disappeared. Fast RMX is a joke compared to Wipeout. 

2 hours ago, sharak said:

It's also weird to bemoan this not coming back when Omega Collection was released in 2017, 4 years after the last entry in the Wii Sports line....

Not forgetting also that Omega Collection got a completely free VR makeover in 2018 essentially allowing you to inject the game directly into your eyeballs! ( ;) )

• Upvote 2

Sony fucked up massively their handling of Wipeout HD on PS3 making it digital only to begin with and then going physical later with bugger all marketing. It deserved better and now is largely forgotten outside of a diehard fan base when it should be up there with the likes of Mario Kart. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Fast RMX is a joke compared to Wipeout. 

Fast RMX is fantastic, but I wouldn't compare it to Wipeout at all. Just because you have a ship that floats & is quick. It's like comparing Wipeout and FZero. Two different games entirely.

58 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Sony fucked up massively their handling of Wipeout HD on PS3 making it digital only to begin with and then going physical later with bugger all marketing. It deserved better and now is largely forgotten outside of a diehard fan base when it should be up there with the likes Mario Kart. 

I wish. I think, unlike Mario Kart, WipEout requires some (skill developed over time) investment and probably isn't as satisfying for most to just pick up and play. 

Hope the franchise returns on PS5, maybe launch it as a bare bones free to play showcase for the platform with regular tournaments or infrastructure that keeps people coming back. Adding an extensive how to play mode could prevent people bouncing off the game after bouncing against the walls for too long. I dunno. 

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting they are similar in that sense, Wipeout is much more hardcore, but it should be given the same respect and standing by Sony imo. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I wasn’t suggesting they are similar in that sense, Wipeout is much more hardcore, but it should be given the same respect and standing by Sony imo. 

Well they think highly enough of it to pay for a free upgrade to VR and use it quite extensively in their PSVR advertising. It's fucking incredible in VR too, it's no botch job, some serious work must have gone into it.

Arguably, releasing WipEout HD as digital only (at first) was a smarter financial move than releasing a physical product that would likely be returned to stores for being "too hard".

Just now, metallicfrodo said:

Well they thought highly enough of it to pay for a free upgrade to VR and used it quite extensively in their PSVR advertising.

That’s fair enough but it’s still ostensibly the same game that came out ten years ago, there really should have been a brand new PS4 game. 

5 hours ago, sharak said:

I am so annoyed that Sony cancelled the series, after making it in-house.

Is this actually the case? I just thought that it had been put to bed for while after the VR update (which is spectacular).

If the PS5 launched with a new wipeout, you could consider me a day one buyer of the console.

I know loads of mega AAA big-budget and trendy titles will be released, but having Wipeout launch with the PS5 would be like 1995 all over again (except I hated the PS back then, and was all about SEGA).

25 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Is this actually the case? I just thought that it had been put to bed for while after the VR update (which is spectacular).

I thought it was! I didn't even know about the VR update until a friend told me. I am hoping to get the VR next time I visit my girlfriend's brother in Zurich :)  Rez and Wipeout. OMG.

3 hours ago, sharak said:

I thought it was! I didn't even know about the VR update until a friend told me. I am hoping to get the VR next time I visit my girlfriend's brother in Zurich :)  Rez and Wipeout. OMG.

Prepare to have your mind blown (and make sure you play Astrobot)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

Prepare to have your mind blown (and make sure you play Astrobot)

Made a note! :)

• Upvote 1